Search…

MikeR
Experienced
Topic Author

Toolbar sharing

18 Mar 2016, 07:38

Hi Karl,

I have a question regarding the toolbar sharing :

For now, there's one toolbar. It used for sharing purpose. Is it possible in the (near) future to have another one ?
The goal will be to separate the sharing and the custom links.

By example :

- sharing toolbar on the left
- custom bar on the right

In this custom bar we may add :

- custom links
- switch to another language
- link to contact page
- shopping cart....

Thanks

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Toolbar sharing

18 Mar 2016, 10:56

When I first read this request, admittedly my immediate reaction was "arrgh, interface hell!" ... buttons floating around left- right- and center, website looking like an airline-cockpit, it's just not good practice, and is confusing for the visitor. I do understand your request though, but this is something we will have to contemplate for the future ... for now, no. It is our responsibility to enable interfaces in X3 that work well, and it's already crowded.
- custom links
- switch to another language
- link to contact page
- shopping cart....
It is really important in modern design to try to keep things as simple as possible, and consolidate items into the menu or the footer. Else you will be confusing the visitor, they just don't have the patience to understand why there are menu's floating left, top and right. Just for example "language", this button is used MAX once per visitor (most likely not used at all) ... so why have fixed language items visible all the time? Custom links and contact page in another toolbar? It's just not friendly. Shopping-cart? Yes, but this would be a dedicated solution anyway, and yes we would likely have to settle for special buttons on the right for this ...

MikeR
Experienced
Topic Author

18 Mar 2016, 14:52

Just for example "language", this button is used MAX once per visitor (most likely not used at all) ... so why have fixed language items visible all the time?
Yes that's why I don't want to see it in the (standard) menu and I prefer to put it in a toolbar only visible on mouse hover.

For now to switch language we can :

- put a link in the menu = it will be always visible so it's not the better solution
- put an icon in the footer = nobody will see it
- put an icon in a toolbar : I think it's the better solution even if we need to mix with the sharing purpose

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 Mar 2016, 00:09

Ok, will consider this a bit later ... (after next release and new imagevue website)