X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

MikeR
Experienced
Topic Author

Grab and grabbing icon

11 Feb 2016, 15:31

Hello,

I love the fact that we can swipe (grab) the images even on desktop version, but it's impossible for the user to guess it.

What do you think about the idea of using a grab (and grabbing) cursor to show it ?

Here a example http://appear.dk/uk/#collapsed

Thank you

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Grab and grabbing icon

11 Feb 2016, 23:50

MikeR wrote:What do you think about the idea of using a grab (and grabbing) cursor to show it ?
I don't generally agree, for two reasons: 1) There is already a zoom in/out cursor displaying by default, which insinuates to the user that they can click to zoom in/out of the photo. 2) Swipe is not a functional navigation method from mouse/trackpads on desktop devices, when the alternative is to simply use keyboard-arrows or mouse-click. Click-drag-release is tedious.

We won't be adding this as default, but you could change it by custom CSS. It would require a few extra lines though if you want to change between the "grab" and "grabbing" cursors when the visitors actually clicks down ...

MikeR
Experienced
Topic Author

12 Feb 2016, 00:01

In my case I don't want to use zoom in/zoom out, I put small resolution images on the web
it's just a way to inform user he can swipe if he prefer, he's free to choose the best method : swipe, button, or keyboard

But yes I'm interesting on this code, for now I've added theses lines :

.pswp__img {
cursor: move; /* fallback if grab cursor is unsupported */
cursor: grab;
cursor: -moz-grab;
cursor: -webkit-grab;
}

It miss the grabbing part
thanks

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

12 Feb 2016, 00:34

This is a bit of a hack, because on non-touch devices, there is no "is-dragging" class added dynamically. It seems to work with the :active pseudo class though:
Code
.pswp__img:active {
  cursor: -webkit-grabbing !important;
  cursor: -moz-grabbing !important;
  cursor: grabbing !important;
}

MikeR
Experienced
Topic Author

12 Feb 2016, 01:03

it works for google chrome but not for firefox

an idea ?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

12 Feb 2016, 02:07

MikeR wrote:it works for google chrome but not for firefox
Sorry, it seems the :active pseudo class does not apply for Firefox in this case. It would require some re-programming to use another ondrag event, so your options may be limited to "grab" on Firefox. At least the visitor would know they can drag ...

MikeR
Experienced
Topic Author

12 Feb 2016, 02:12

Ok thanks
I hope you will have the time to make re-programming in a feature release, even if I understand it's not a priority

MikeR
Experienced
Topic Author

12 Feb 2016, 02:38

For information, the grabbing icon works (even in firefox) when I zoom in a photo

https://demo.photo.gallery/galleries/fe ... pid=forest

or in the slideshow layout (without zoom-in)

https://demo.photo.gallery/galleries/food/

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

12 Feb 2016, 03:41

MikeR wrote:For information, the grabbing icon works (even in firefox) when I zoom in a photo
That is because the grabbing-cursor has a different, functional purpose when image is zoomed in: It allows the visitor to move the image around by grabbing it, and is therefore a built-in feature.