Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

timberline
Topic Author

Search Features

01 Feb 2016, 11:26

Would it be possible to add attributes to each image and then be able to search, sort & display images based on attributes selected?
example:(colors, size, price, etc....)

Thanks,
Chris Miller

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Search Features

01 Feb 2016, 11:45

This is not something we would like to focus on in X3 unfortunately. First of all, X3 is not a database application ... Searching items would normally require searching items stored in a database to be able to work effectively. In the case of X3, it would either have to search through physical files/folders, or possibly use a preloaded data object ... In both cases, it would only be feasible if you don't have a large amount of files included in the search (in which case, it would simply be too slow).

It is more feasible that we could add live "filters" and "sorting" for currently selected page (folder).

timberline
Topic Author

01 Feb 2016, 12:50

Thanks for the quick reply. I think we could work with a live "filters" and "sorting" for currently selected page or folders. Would the number of images in the folder be an issue? (Maybe like 200 images)

Also wanted to follow up with the progress of manually sorting images in a folder. I remember this being something that you thought would be addressed in the near future.

PS.... your new X3 is a great product! Thanks.

Chris Miller

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

02 Feb 2016, 00:22

timberline wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. I think we could work with a live "filters" and "sorting" for currently selected page or folders. Would the number of images in the folder be an issue? (Maybe like 200 images)
This would be handled on the "client" device, and would not require any loading from the server, so it would generally be quite fast. Since it is handled by the device, it would however also be limited by the CPU resources of the device ... I don't think 200 images will offer any problems, but it's possible that mobile devices will exhibit a few seconds lag in the processing if there are several hundred images.

This feature would need to be implemented in a broader plan, where images also receive tags. We could easily add a "tags" input for images that would be used for sort/filter, but you also mentioned "price", "color" and "size" ... They would need to be part of custom image attributes, which in turn would need to be searchable and the visitor would need to be able to "sort by" any custom image attribute. It's not a small task.
timberline wrote:Also wanted to follow up with the progress of manually sorting images in a folder. I remember this being something that you thought would be addressed in the near future.
Will see if this is something we can implement for the next, or the following release, relatively soon.