Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

swamphox
Experienced
Topic Author

Shopping cart link

04 Nov 2015, 09:29

[quote="mjau-mjau"]I can only remember there being a button available with a shopping-cart icon, where you can add a custom link. Actually, you can already add such a link to the toolbar and/or sharing-dropdown (that appears from the popup) in X3.[/quote]

I would be interested to see how others have incorporated an buy button into their toolbar.
In X2 you had no less than 4 ways to apply a buy now, shopping cart icon or some sort of link and it was very easy to add the link to the purchase site as you can see in the attachment. I am curious as to why in past versions, especially in X2, there were so many ways to allow linking to a shopping cart/ecommerce and in X3 it is non-existent.

In the screenshot there are two fields by which to link an image to ecommerce. I have no idea how difficult this would be to add but it really makes all of the difference in usability for me.

Thanks
Attachments
Screen-Shot-2015-11-04-at-9.08.17-AM.jpg
Screen-Shot-2015-11-04-at-9.08.17-AM.jpg (169.74 KiB) Viewed 6947 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Shopping cart link

04 Nov 2015, 12:54

I split this into a new topic into a separate thread, because its not related to the new release pending in any way ...
swamphox wrote:I would be interested to see how others have incorporated an buy button into their toolbar.
Sure, but keep in mind this isn't even an official beta yet, and the toolbar has been available two days?
swamphox wrote:In X2 you had no less than 4 ways to apply a buy now, shopping cart icon or some sort of link and it was very easy to add the link to the purchase site as you can see in the attachment. I am curious as to why in past versions, especially in X2, there were so many ways to allow linking to a shopping cart/ecommerce and in X3 it is non-existent.
Ok, it seems you are a bit early in estimating what X3 can and cannot do. First of all, I would like to breakdown this feature in X2: It's a button, with a shopping-cart icon, where you can assign a link. Nothing more, nothing less. Technically, except for having a shopping-cart icon, it's not really anything e-commerce anyway ... It just allows you to assign a custom link, and in your case, I assume you have some kinda system in place.

X3 Toolbar + image-sharing
First of all, did you click the help button for "toolbar items" in settings to see what you can do? The toolbar, which is used for sharing or anything you want, also affects the image-sharing button. I quickly added this from settings.toolbar.items:

Yay, a sweet-looking buy button. What about the link? That is even easier, as you don't need to create it for each image. It's dynamic:
Code
{
      "id": "cart",
      "icon": "shopping-cart",
      "label": "Shop This!",
      "url": "http://somewebsite/?image={{image_url}}",
      "color": "#222222"
},
If you see the URL parameter above, it now can open a link, and dynamically include the image url as a parameter. No more having to create links separately for each image! How does this compare with X2? I would say hands-down victory to X3.

Oh, and if you REALLY want to create links per-image, why not just add them to the image-description?

I really don't see how, with some creativity, you can't make this work at least just as good as X2.

swamphox
Experienced
Topic Author

05 Nov 2015, 09:58

I did not see this post. My apologies.

swamphox
Experienced
Topic Author

05 Nov 2015, 21:30

Thanks for all of that info, this is going to work out great. Down the road I would like each image to link directly to specific images on my shopify page where I will have they can be purchased. How will I incorporate this and have each image "shop this" link go where it is supposed to go. I guess what I am asking is how do I direct the link to the image elsewhere rather than sending the image or linking back to the imagevue gallery?

Thanks again.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

05 Nov 2015, 22:44

The toolbar is very powerful and flexible, although a bit complicated at first glance. It is not a problem linking to another website, as the links don't need to go "back" to your own site. However, if you want to create dynamic links to shopify, it would build the link from the image name.

What do your shopify links look like? I am guessing they are entirely unrelated to the image names ...

swamphox
Experienced
Topic Author

05 Nov 2015, 23:09

Actually I just recently started to populate the store and I am using the image names. I can build both at the same time, which makes sense and use the same images and file names.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

06 Nov 2015, 00:14

swamphox wrote:Actually I just recently started to populate the store and I am using the image names. I can build both at the same time, which makes sense and use the same images and file names.
Ok, let me know if you need any help. Actually, I think I would need to include a new dynamic parameter {{ image_name }} for the toolbar. Right now, there is {{ image_url }}, but that contains the path, for example "content/path/imagename.jpg". How would your shopify links look like based on image name? Do you have an example? I assume something with the image name?

swamphox
Experienced
Topic Author

06 Nov 2015, 00:25

This is an example although the domain name will change.

http://1234foto.myshopify.com/products/ ... e-building

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

06 Nov 2015, 00:36

swamphox wrote:1234foto.myshopify.com/products/empire-state-building
Does that mean you would have an image with filename empire-state-building.jpg in the gallery? So basically for your shopify links, you have:
Code
1234foto.myshopify.com/products/filename-without-extension
Right?

swamphox
Experienced
Topic Author

06 Nov 2015, 00:38

Correct

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

06 Nov 2015, 01:01

I need to implement a new parameter {{ file_name }} for that to be possible. I will look into it today ...

swamphox
Experienced
Topic Author

06 Nov 2015, 08:23

The domain name will change to something else but it will be global. It won't bounce around to different domains. Just one.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

07 Nov 2015, 09:49

This is now implemented, and will be available in a release within Monday. Basically, you can add a new link/item to toolbar items:
Code
{
      "id": "shop",
      "icon": "shopping-cart",
      "label": "Buy me!",
      "url": "https://1234foto.myshopify.com/products/{{file_name}}",
      "color": "orange",
      "display": "popup"
},
Notice the url https://1234foto.myshopify.com/products/{{file_name}}, where {{file_name}} will be dynamically replaced by the actual filename (without extension). For example, if you are viewing in the popup an image "empire_state_building.jpg", the URL will be https://1234foto.myshopify.com/products ... e_building. You can change the main URL path as you like at any time, just remember to include http/https.

The other variables noted above can be changed as you like. The display option should be set to "popup" though, to make sure the link only displays in the popup window.

swamphox
Experienced
Topic Author

07 Nov 2015, 18:28

swamphox
Experienced
Topic Author

07 Nov 2015, 19:03

The first test I did came up with a 404 because in the url that I landed on after hitting the the "buy" link. I made certain everything matched exactly. It looks as though the URL is not being placed in. As you can see no matter what link this is in the address "{{file_name}} ". Any thoughts
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 7.00.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 7.00.48 PM.png (78.42 KiB) Viewed 6871 times