Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

grimurnet
Experienced
Topic Author

expand menu to current item

10 Aug 2015, 13:22

I was wondering if it is possible when using the sidebar menu to have it expand to current page item when open to a certain album? Otherwise one has to expand all folders to go to current album.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: expand menu to current item

10 Aug 2015, 14:02

grimurnet wrote:I was wondering if it is possible when using the sidebar menu to have it expand to current page item when open to a certain album? Otherwise one has to expand all folders to go to current album.
Wouldn't the menu already be expanded to current page if the visitor has navigated there in the first place?

The only exception, would be the rather slim chance that the visitor arrived on the page from a shared link. In which case, I don't see any reason to confuse the user by expanding a possibly complex tree menu.

grimurnet
Experienced
Topic Author

10 Aug 2015, 16:43

mjau-mjau wrote:
grimurnet wrote:I was wondering if it is possible when using the sidebar menu to have it expand to current page item when open to a certain album? Otherwise one has to expand all folders to go to current album.
Wouldn't the menu already be expanded to current page if the visitor has navigated there in the first place?

The only exception, would be the rather slim chance that the visitor arrived on the page from a shared link. In which case, I don't see any reason to confuse the user by expanding a possibly complex tree menu.
No, I for instance have a start page with folders listed, so when you click on one of the folder's thumbnail you are brought to that submenu item which would be cool to expand so it looks better. It's how most systems work that I have tried.

You can see what I mean by going to my website "Home" and click on one of the albums which are a subitem of "portfolio" it would be nice to expand the portfolio to show the subitems

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

11 Aug 2015, 01:37

Good point. However, I don't think this is something we want to add to be honest. The menu parent item already gets colored to indicate that it is active, so the visitor can easily locate themselves inside the menu. I consider the menu a holy UI item, and using it as "breadcrumbs" to indicate the visitors position in the website without the visitor even interacting with the menu is not good practice. Unless I actually click the menu myself, I really would not want it to start expanding or closing automatically.