X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Martin
Experienced
Topic Author

Sidebar Menu opens menu-items, but does not display folders

07 Jul 2015, 08:18

Hi Karl,

When using a small screen the sidebar menu appears.
When one clicks on a menu-item that has sub-menus the menu is expanded in the sidebar.
Is it possible that at that same moment the corresponding folders wil be shown on the page?
After closing the sidebar menu one sees all the folders:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Sidebar Menu opens menu-items, but does not display fold

07 Jul 2015, 08:40

The short answer is no. In general, it is not a desired behavior to have a new page load when you are clicking a tree-menu item that is meant to expand to show sub pages. Also, it is unlikely the visitor would need both the expanded menu and the page showing sub pages, so why offer duplicate methods at the cost of poor UI.

Instead, you could consider disabling the child items in the menu, so that the visitor has a simpler menu, and can click the parent menu to load the page which then lists the child pages. To achieve this, you would set in the parent folder:
Code
menu: hideChildren
Unlike the mega menu or dropdown menus based on hover, this is a limitation of a vertical tree menu.

Martin
Experienced
Topic Author

07 Jul 2015, 10:39

mjau-mjau wrote:In general, it is not a desired behavior to have a new page load when you are clicking a tree-menu item that is meant to expand to show sub pages. Also, it is unlikely the visitor would need both the expanded menu and the page showing sub pages, so why offer duplicate methods at the cost of poor UI.
Clear... got it and agree with it :-)
mjau-mjau wrote:Instead, you could consider disabling the child items in the menu, so that the visitor has a simpler menu, and can click the parent menu to load the page which then lists the child pages.
Yes! I like that with the vertical tree menu!
... but I think it's a pity that the horizontal carousel menu does not show anymore.

Is it possible to have a 'hideChildren' option that only reacts with the vertical tree menu?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

07 Jul 2015, 14:26

Martin wrote:... but I think it's a pity that the horizontal carousel menu does not show anymore.

Is it possible to have a 'hideChildren' option that only reacts with the vertical tree menu?
mmm ... no. The carousel menu and the list menu are all special menus that can only be included in the topbar-megamenu features. The tree menu is an extensive tree-menu ... not even sure how we would add a carousel menu into the vertical tree menu!

Martin
Experienced
Topic Author

07 Jul 2015, 14:54

mjau-mjau wrote: ... not even sure how we would add a carousel menu into the vertical tree menu!
I've got the feeling that I did not make myself totally clear.
I like to use 'menu: hideChildren' because of the simpler vertical tree menu on small screens, but I don't want this option to hide the carousel menu on top of wide screens.So when using hideChildren the horizontal menu (with the carousel) should not be different, but the vertical tree menu should show the simpler menu (without the Children).

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Jul 2015, 03:00

Martin wrote:I like to use 'menu: hideChildren' because of the simpler vertical tree menu on small screens, but I don't want this option to hide the carousel menu on top of wide screens.So when using hideChildren the horizontal menu (with the carousel) should not be different, but the vertical tree menu should show the simpler menu (without the Children).
Ahh ... I didn't quite understand initially for some reason.

That makes thing more complicated. We would need some setting hideChildrenSidemenu ... I can't commit to add settings like this before major release, so we would need to wait unfortunately :?

Martin
Experienced
Topic Author

08 Jul 2015, 15:14

mjau-mjau wrote: ... I can't commit to add settings like this before major release, so we would need to wait unfortunately :?
I'm very patient :-)
and happy with this implicit commitment to add it after the major release :D