Search…

gaitt
Experienced
Topic Author

It's all about SYNC

20 Jun 2015, 15:07

Hello all,

Just want to share my experiment ...
I love the new X3 design, I'm quite happy with it, but one thing I miss is an ultra easy way to publish pictures with all kind of devices but mainly from my smartphone.

USE CASE:
I'm in vacation without PC but my camera can sync with my smartphone. Some pictures I've taken are really nice, so I want to upload them to X3 ... but don't want to use the X3 panel from my small smartphone screen ...

So I came up with an idea, put all the 'content' folder in sync with an cloud application like ownCloud (https://owncloud.org/).
OwnCloud provides all kind of application: smartphone, PC sync software and a web panel, it's like dropbox but on your server with your data.

So I've tryed it, not so hard to set up and I was, at first, really happy. I was able to sync pictures from the ownCloud android app to ownCloud server and so to X3 and this, only with the "share" button of my smartphone gallery app. It works well if the folder already exist!! But if you create folders from the cloud app with the YAML file, then X3 panel is kind of messed up, it should be the X3 cache not updated (idea Karl??).

I saw that ownCloud have an API in order to develop custom APP. So I'm wondering if it's feasible to develop an ownCloud APP that keep X3 cache updated when a folder is synced with new pictures or folders ....

What do think guys?

localhost
Experienced

Re: It's all about SYNC

20 Jun 2015, 17:44

Following.... I kinda like the idea.

I remember I asked Karl about Adobe Lightroom=X3 integration where you can upload directly from within the LR. Something that I missed with my PIXELPOST website before. So this is a fresh idea...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Jun 2015, 19:15

gaitt wrote:So I've tryed it, not so hard to set up and I was, at first, really happy. I was able to sync pictures from the ownCloud android app to ownCloud server and so to X3 and this, only with the "share" button of my smartphone gallery app. It works well if the folder already exist!! But if you create folders from the cloud app with the YAML file, then X3 panel is kind of messed up, it should be the X3 cache not updated (idea Karl??).
I like the idea, and I was dwelling on some ideas about this earlier. The problem of course with "new pages", is that X3 is an application, and needs to create these pages with the page.yml data file. OK, so we could perhaps extend X3 to "auto-create" the page.yml file inside the folder if it does not already exists. However, how would you populate this file without accessing the admin panel? It would just contain default data like when you create a new page from the X3 panel. I am not sure how you would hope to have that aspect solved ... Pages/data need to be edited from the X3 admin panel, or you could edit the page.yml file manually (from your owncloud), as it is basically just a textfile. We cant build an ownCloud-admin-panel-for-X3 built into ownCloud.

PS! I am not sure what this has to do with the "cache". If you upload new images synched through ownCloud, it would serve a fresh version of the page after images are uploaded.

Question: Why can't you use the X3 admin panel from your mobile? Although we did not find the time yet to make it fully responsive and nice to use from a mobile, you can still upload multiple-images, and create new pages from mobile.

So for now, you can synch images like you have already done, but you can't create new pages unless you want to edit page.yml files manually from a mobile text editor or something.
localhost wrote:I remember I asked Karl about Adobe Lightroom=X3 integration where you can upload directly from within the LR. Something that I missed with my PIXELPOST website before. So this is a fresh idea...
Yep. Not entirely related, but essentially something we would like to do at some point. For now, realistically speaking, it is not on the immediate agenda.

localhost
Experienced

20 Jun 2015, 22:51

I love how X3 is right now but all the future projects I'm getting excited all over again. :P

gaitt
Experienced
Topic Author

22 Jun 2015, 08:51

mjau-mjau wrote: Question: Why can't you use the X3 admin panel from your mobile? Although we did not find the time yet to make it fully responsive and nice to use from a mobile, you can still upload multiple-images, and create new pages from mobile.
Well, I've tryed on my android phone with Google Chrome and it's kind of impossible to upload a picture! All content of the panel is centered but when scrolling down the YAML editor overlap the tree and the upload button is not accessible in portrait format.

A picture is better than an explanation:
mjau-mjau wrote: ... OK, so we could perhaps extend X3 to "auto-create" the page.yml file inside the folder if it does not already exists. ...
If this is the only thing to do, then it should work, at least for me since my YAML file contains only a title (for now). But the "auto-create" will happen? During the first access from X3?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

22 Jun 2015, 09:28

gaitt wrote:Well, I've tryed on my android phone with Google Chrome and it's kind of impossible to upload a picture!
This will be fixed at some point. Surely this is by far a superior way to manage your X3 gallery also from mobile once fixed?
gaitt wrote:If this is the only thing to do, then it should work, at least for me since my YAML file contains only a title (for now). But the "auto-create" will happen? During the first access from X3?
We can't do it any other way unless you want to manually manage the page.yml data file ... That is what the X3 panel is created for in the first place! until the fixed admin is in place, can't you just navigate to the folder from the x3 admin? The menu works fine from the top of the page, and navigating to a page, will auto-create the page.yml file for the folder if it doesn't exist. I prefer not to attach any page.yml creation process to the frontend.