Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

andreamarucci
Experienced
Topic Author

An idea

09 Jun 2015, 05:11

Hello Karl. I've a friend that's a photographer. He'd like to have a gallery with the following features. I thought about X3 but some features are missed and I'd like to talk about that to you.
  • 1 - He want to have private galleries so that user john doe can access only his pictures that are uploaded by the admin at low resolution and watermarked. I think this is yet possible with the new "protect" system you've just introduces but maybe I'm wrong.
    2 - He want that each user can choose the photo he want to buy so that the gallery send to the admin a sort of "order" with the chosen pictures and the admin can prepare the pictures on cd, for example, to send it to the user. No need to have a payment system just "I'm interested in pictures #12, 15, 35, etc. please let me have them on a cd or usb key"
The #2 is actually missed but do you think can be a feature for X3? Maybe this can be further expanded with the possibility to download the images at full resolution.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: An idea

09 Jun 2015, 05:42

A quick answer this this ...
andreamarucci wrote:1 - He want to have private galleries so that user john doe can access only his pictures that are uploaded by the admin at low resolution and watermarked. I think this is yet possible with the new "protect" system you've just introduces but maybe I'm wrong.
I am not quite sure exactly what the question is ... Why not just create a new page, and upload low resolution images? For example, just set the resizer to 600px so that images are small. Then you can have another gallery inside called /high/, where all the original images are uploaded, and the user can be given access after they have been given access through the "protect". You can even make a ZIP file available for download.

So this already works, and I am not sure how else you would propose for it to work differently.

As for watermarking, this is explained in a separate topic. You would have to watermark before upload if you require watermarking. In my opinion, if you use low-res images, then I don't see the point of watermarking.
andreamarucci wrote:2 - He want that each user can choose the photo he want to buy so that the gallery send to the admin a sort of "order" with the chosen pictures and the admin can prepare the pictures on cd, for example, to send it to the user. No need to have a payment system just "I'm interested in pictures #12, 15, 35, etc. please let me have them on a cd or usb key"
Yes, this is a request we Can consider for a future X3. It is a tedious task with lots of UI, lightbox, selecting and "send order" and is not something we will be able to prioritize for a while until X3 is public at least. Many photographers want something like this, but everybody has their ideas about what they want included, and some want e-commerce also.

andreamarucci
Experienced
Topic Author

09 Jun 2015, 05:45

mjau-mjau wrote:Why not just create a new page, and upload low resolution images? For example, just set the resizer to 600px so that images are small. Then you can have another gallery inside called /high/, where all the original images are uploaded, and the user can be given access after they have been given access through the "protect". You can even make a ZIP file available for download.
Because maybe the photographer uploaded 100 images and the customer want to buy just 10 of them so the photographer will give HR access to only the 10 images chosen, not to all the images.
mjau-mjau wrote:As for watermarking, this is explained in a separate topic. You would have to watermark before upload if you require watermarking. In my opinion, if you use low-res images, then I don't see the point of watermarking.
Watermarking will be done before uploading.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 Jun 2015, 06:13

andreamarucci wrote:Because maybe the photographer uploaded 100 images and the customer want to buy just 10 of them so the photographer will give HR access to only the 10 images chosen, not to all the images.
Then just upload the 10 images chosen into the "highres" sub folder. I don't see how else X3 can provide any automation for this unless we build a custom solution dedicated for e-commerce.

localhost
Experienced

13 Jun 2015, 21:43

Basically it was the same I have mentioned to you before Karl...

https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=8424

Basically it is a Soft-Proofing gallery for clients:
1. Photographer upload 100 images
2. Client liked and favourited 10 images
3. Photographer grab those information liked by the client
4. Photographer processed those 10 images for final delivery as High res images or Prints.

With the password protection and the soft-proofing gallery it is basically what I mentioned about the PIXIESET offering.

Now, I understand that this is not what Imagevuex purpose to become a soft-proofing gallery or merchant store. Pixieset does not provide proper website either such as contact forms, about us, pricing, etc... just soft-proofing and merchant. But I say, if Imagevuex can offer what Pixieset does then it will be a complete solution for photographers.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

14 Jun 2015, 03:10

localhost wrote:Basically it was the same I have mentioned to you before Karl...
Yes. This is something we will need to consider some time in the future perhaps, but as of now it is not on the immediate radar.

As posted above, X3 already gives you the option to upload processed "favorited" high-res images, into a password-protected subfolder available for the client. The only thing that is miss, is some kinda picker for selecting images, and sending the "order".

andreamarucci
Experienced
Topic Author

15 Jun 2015, 03:50

I imagine that's not in your immediate plan bu eventually could be a good addon for imagevue I think :-)