Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

dsellung
Experienced
Topic Author

Automatic watermark

02 Mar 2015, 13:11

I wonder if it is possible, to let X3 automatically add watermarks to photos? I read it wasn't possible in X2, but hey - it's 2015! :mrgreen:

And IF it could be possible.. maybe it would be even possible to let it add another image as watermark? Like a logo or something..

Is there a chance or should I forget it? :)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Automatic watermark

03 Mar 2015, 03:28

dsellung wrote:I wonder if it is possible, to let X3 automatically add watermarks to photos? I read it wasn't possible in X2, but hey - it's 2015! :mrgreen:
It was actually possible at some point in X2, but we removed it back then for several reasons:

1. Imagemagick PHP extension
Watermark requires "Imagemagick" PHP extension, which is not a standard extension. Actually, this might be possible with the basic GD extension now, so this point might not be legit any more.

2. JPG re-compression
The biggest issue, is that adding a watermark requires re-saving the JPG image, and therefore re-compressing it in JPG format. This is very undesirable, especially for "photographs" because it is not a "lossless" operation ... It is like a double-compression upon an already compressed photo.

There are other issues, like should the scaled-down versions have the watermark also? ... and if so, should the watermark be scaled on the smaller versions also?

I think the only way it could be solved, would be by implementing one of the following:

A) Somehow add watermarks in the same process that uploads- and resizes images from the panel. For example, your originals are 5000px, and in the upload process, they are resized down to 2000px and a watermark is added in the same process, without double-compressing the image.

B) Upload ultra-large-size images to maintain as "originals" on server, and create watermarked downsized versions from the original. This would generally prevent double-compression. However, it is not very feasible, because it is unlikely your server is powerful enough to resize such large images, and besides, it would require a lot of storage space for full-size images.

You can see that this is not a simple implementation?

dsellung
Experienced
Topic Author

03 Mar 2015, 05:26

Thank you for your detailed answer!

Actually, adding the watermark in the upload-resize-process sounds logical and easy to me, but I of course don't know how this technically works. So I believe you that it is not that easy. :)
And I hope that maybe some das it will be possible.

Btw, is there a possibility for disabling the right-click of anything else to prevent people from stealing images?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

03 Mar 2015, 09:43

dsellung wrote:Actually, adding the watermark in the upload-resize-process sounds logical and easy to me, but I of course don't know how this technically works. So I believe you that it is not that easy. :)
And I hope that maybe some das it will be possible.
This may be a plausible option, and we may look into it ...
dsellung wrote:Btw, is there a possibility for disabling the right-click of anything else to prevent people from stealing images?
Not yet, but we plan to integrate such image-protection, probably before the watermark option. Keep in mind, although this will prevent right-clicking, it does not offer true protection ... Users who know how to use devtools or access the cache, can easily access the images that are loaded into their browser.

dsellung
Experienced
Topic Author

05 Mar 2015, 00:48

Hm, true. So we better keep adding watermark to the image itself.

Thank you very much!