Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Golubovy
Topic Author

mobile version settings

18 Jan 2015, 16:37

few features for mobile version:
- auto stop slideshow on titul for mobile (on/off)
- view page only on mobile or PC version, or both (like in x2)
- offline version of site. Download full gallery and launch without internet (maybe crazy, but very helpful for offline portfolio)

and more possibilitys for settings mobile version, maybe add independent menu for this settings.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: mobile version settings

18 Jan 2015, 23:34

There is not really any "mobile version" in X3. The X3 design- and interface simply adapts to smaller screens using a technique called "responsive design". Therefore, there are not really any mobile-specific settings like in X2. Basically you shouldn't need to worry about setting mobile-specific preferences.
Golubovy wrote:- auto stop slideshow on titul for mobile (on/off)
The slideshow inherits settings for both mobile- and desktop. It already stops once the visitor interacts with the slideshow by touch.
Golubovy wrote:- view page only on mobile or PC version, or both (like in x2)
Not possible unfortunately, and this is generally bad practice anyway. Why do you want to prevent mobile visitors from seeing a page that works nicely on mobile, which they might have found in Google search?
Golubovy wrote:- offline version of site. Download full gallery and launch without internet (maybe crazy, but very helpful for offline portfolio)
Noted. This is a very complicated task, and I am not sure it is something we will be able to offer.

SilentD

31 Jan 2016, 08:47

I to agree that a platform specific page option would be neat to have.. To claim that its not needed is sortof narrowminded.

Sometimes you want a specific view that looks better on horisontal vs vertical layout where your responsive design wont help.
Most of the time, images are not square. and you want them to spread in a specific way to allign to your design.
I always had one design for PC and one for mobile, where PC shows my frontpage options in a horisontal line, and on mobile in a vertical.
Auto allignment would not fix that, because its not suposed to show the same images on both..

On PC I have 3 images running across on the horisontal line - with an 5by3 aspect ratio. On mobile i have 3 images running on the vertical line, with a 3 by5 aspect ratio

You could easily ad a IF specification to detect what kind of device your are opening the page in.

I loved the x2 platform.. and if the mobile gallery had been bugfree Id keep it

The big difference between x2 and x3 is that in X3 you can build your whole website inside of it.. It requires more options and freedom.
Attachments
Image 005.jpg
Image 005.jpg (117.54 KiB) Viewed 13159 times
Image 004.jpg
Image 004.jpg (157.99 KiB) Viewed 13159 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

31 Jan 2016, 09:15

mail@silentd.dk wrote:I to agree that a platform specific page option would be neat to have.. To claim that its not needed is sortof narrowminded.
Would be good to hear some specific reasons WHY of course, and not just tagged as narrow-minded.
mail@silentd.dk wrote:Sometimes you want a specific view that looks better on horisontal vs vertical layout where your responsive design wont help.
Perhaps you can be more specific with your examples? Of course, you have no idea if a visitor is holding their phone in landscape mode or in horizontal mode, so not sure what that changes ...
mail@silentd.dk wrote:I loved the x2 platform.. and if the mobile gallery had been bugfree Id keep it
Bugs where? It would really help if you could actually report the bug you are referring to, because nothing has been reported yet that hasn't already been fixed.
mail@silentd.dk wrote:You could easily ad a IF specification to detect what kind of device your are opening the page in.
Yes we can detect devices. And if a page is accessed by mobile that is not for mobile, you want it to be BLOCKED then?

- Do you consider iPad Pro (huge screen), or tablets in general, to be mobile?
- How do you suggest we detect a "mobile device" in javascript? What qualifies as a mobile device?
- Even if we detect on server side, it would require checking in PHP from a massive database of devices. PHP/backend does not read screen dimensions or "touch" ...
- Are you suggesting we output different outputs from the server based on device? That would be bad for SEO of course, since the engines see you serve different content (or no content) to some devices. It would also cause huge issues with the X3 caching mechanism (or any web sites caching mechanism).

I am open to suggestions here, but it would be good if you had some concrete examples of usage. I also hope you understand the challenges involved, and why we are not too excited about this feature which I personally consider to be backwards. Worst case scenario, the mobile user sees a page that is not mobile-optimized?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

31 Jan 2016, 09:22

mail@silentd.dk wrote:Sometimes you want a specific view that looks better on horisontal vs vertical layout where your responsive design wont help.
Most of the time, images are not square. and you want them to spread in a specific way to allign to your design.
I always had one design for PC and one for mobile, where PC shows my frontpage options in a horisontal line, and on mobile in a vertical.
Auto allignment would not fix that, because its not suposed to show the same images on both..
Not sure how claim that can NOT be solved with a responsive design. You can do all that with CSS, depending on screen width, orientation and pixel density. The basic X3 grid, columns- and justified layout will automatically change the layout similar as your screenshot I guess.
mail@silentd.dk wrote:On PC I have 3 images running across on the horisontal line - with an 5by3 aspect ratio. On mobile i have 3 images running on the vertical line, with a 3 by5 aspect ratio
You mean this is how you want it, or how it is? It seems you have three entirely different images in your mobile vs desktop examples (not sure why). That mobile view you have ... would be interesting to see the visitor holding their phone in landscape mode.

Basically what you are asking is to have ENTIRELY different pages for "mobile" vs non-mobile. Although your example is a bit vague ... It's just two different pages (google dont like that) ... Would iPad see the first one or second one?

Have any examples of other websites that do something like this?

SilentD

31 Jan 2016, 09:46

no bugs reported?

https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8196

this has never been fixed

SilentD

31 Jan 2016, 09:55

mjau-mjau wrote: Basically what you are asking is to have ENTIRELY different pages for "mobile" vs non-mobile. Although your example is a bit vague ... It's just two different pages (google dont like that) ... Would iPad see the first one or second one?

Have any examples of other websites that do something like this?
Yes thats how I want it to be.. different layouts/images based on orientation.. So far I have just been segmenting between pc or not pc, and all other devices were considered mobile.. that was fine with me.. SEO not important, google not important. We are not all interested in those things.

I just want a fast responsive and functional gallery for my site... Im not good at programming, and integrating X3 into my design has been a headache, so I had to do the other way around. using X3 as the platform for the whole site.

but it looks bad on my mobile device unless I go horisontal..

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

31 Jan 2016, 10:12

mail@silentd.dk wrote:Yes thats how I want it to be.. different layouts/images based on orientation.. So far I have just been segmenting between pc or not pc, and all other devices were considered mobile.. that was fine with me.. SEO not important, google not important. We are not all interested in those things.
I don't see anything productive coming from this example, apart from "this is how I want it". The entire modern web is built around responsive design, which yes is a compromise, but worthwhile.
mail@silentd.dk wrote:I just want a fast responsive and functional gallery for my site...
To me, this comment is a huge contradiction. In X3, that is exactly what you get ... a fast responsive website, easy to setup, with simple consolidated pages that work nicely across all devices ... Sometimes often a "compromise", but still worthwhile. At least it's simple ... You however, are asking for multiple pages for different devices, and I don't see how that is "fast responsive and function". It's old-school, tedious, and will make the website slow, and semantically off target. Neither does it work.
mail@silentd.dk wrote:Im not good at programming, and integrating X3 into my design has been a headache, so I had to do the other way around. using X3 as the platform for the whole site.
This of course is an entirely different topic, and I'm not sure what you mean "integrating X3 into my design". You can't load X3 into a website. Yes, X3 should definitely be used for the entire website ... There are many reasons why we can't just server X3 as a nice little module that you can load into any page, but that is another story altogether.
mail@silentd.dk wrote:but it looks bad on my mobile device unless I go horisontal..
Do you have an example link? That would be like me saying about your example "but it looks strange unless I go vertical".

Responsive design renders layouts "acceptably" on all devices, from one side of the screen to the other, in both landscape- and vertical orientation, without zooming out (like non-responsive design does). I don't see how you will solve this by "detecting mobile" and showing a wrong layout on iphone landscape, or a large tablet that has the same viewing capabilities as a modern desktop.

bphotos
Experienced

07 Nov 2017, 00:39

How can I hide logo in mobile version? Coz it looks a little bit strange.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2017-11-06 at 21.33.27.jpeg
horizontal
WhatsApp Image 2017-11-06 at 21.33.27.jpeg (100.5 KiB) Viewed 12415 times
WhatsApp Image 2017-11-06 at 21.33.21.jpeg
vertical
WhatsApp Image 2017-11-06 at 21.33.21.jpeg (99.88 KiB) Viewed 12415 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

07 Nov 2017, 01:44

bphotos wrote:How can I hide logo in mobile version? Coz it looks a little bit strange.
I answered this post entirely here:
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.p ... 565#p42565

CrisC
Experienced

25 Oct 2018, 17:05

Hi @mjau-mjau
during my "redesign" of the page due to the issue with the intro and logo stuff I have selected images in "landscape" format - which are now working fine in desktop mode.

Unfortunately, on the smartphone, this isn't the case, since the phone does usually have the screen in portrait orientation.
So, unless I'll rotate the screen, the images within my intro are badly "cropped" on the mobile device - and I thought that it might be possible to provide two kind of intros.... (landscape, and portrait) - depending on the Monitor information.

As far as I know, modern monitors which can often be rotated into portrait mode, does provide the information about their orientation.
I did some research and found an article from w3c about this:

https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/#orientation

Maybe, it could help to provide some kind of "workarounds" or additional features to allow a more flexible support of mobile devices?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

26 Oct 2018, 01:14

This should be an obvious challenge with slideshow intro (or any full stage intro), and also the reason why we emphasize it as a teaser. It is simply not plausible to have a gallery that displays ALL images at their very best across ALL devices. The X3 popup is simply superior for viewing images from any device/screen. This is of course the same challenge that ALL websites with a similar intro have, and something they have to deal with. It would not be too difficult to change a single image, as that can be handled with CSS or html alone. However, changing an entire range of loaded images in an actively playing slideshow on device rotation?

It doesn't work like that for now for sure, and it's very complicated, but it's a very interesting idea  :clap: I will note it down and hopefully look into it.