X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Artur
Imagevue PowerPack
Topic Author

Image static page

06 Jan 2015, 00:01

I know you know Karl, but just to remind you :wink:

We need that thing! I don't want to put my x3 online without this because I know how hard is to fix google indexes later (especialy when you share your urls in social media)

Share url:
Code
http://site.com/folder/folder/image_name
instead of:
Code
http://site.com/folder/folder/?pop=image_name.jpg
The page may looks just like a blog page. Title on top, image below, and description (if specified) at the bottom.
Perhaps next/prev buttons (and meta, would help with indexes too).

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Image static page

06 Jan 2015, 01:22

True. I admit it is a technical challenge which is 100% dependent on htaccess rewrite. In the htaccess, we would need to create a rule that detects that an incoming request is A) Not a folder, B) Is a file that exists on server when ".jpg" is appended, and then finally intercept this in the PHP so that X3 can assign a template, get the image params, and inject it. Also, this will basically create a "page" for each of your image files (not just actual folder-pages), that should get cached and may have performance-implications, although technically it would only create a process on-demand ...

I will take a look into this for v0.10 after v0.9 release ...

Artur
Imagevue PowerPack
Topic Author

07 Jan 2015, 14:06

I admit it is a technical challenge which is 100% dependent on htaccess rewrite
I'm fully aware of that.
However, benefits in SEO are pretty impressive. My E-cig Mods website raised to 5 points in googles' PageRank ranking (it's 4 now, but I didn't update website for a while) after I replaced flash by html, implemented static image pages and fixed google indexes at the end.
And the images are present really often in google image search results for certain keywords (type: "caravela", "senio", "senisis", "ecig mods").

You're smart guy, I'm sure you find out something nice in this case 8)
Thanks!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Jan 2015, 00:52

Yes, it needs to be done, and will be done soon ... somehow :). I actually started looking into this some time ago before initial beta, but for the reasons mentioned, I had to place it on the shelf for a while to focus on other matters ...

Slightly off-topic, I really don't think your "pagerank" would be affected by Flash or not. Flash DOES have tremendous affect on SEO, but it should not have an impact on pagerank, which is by definition a ranking decided by incoming links. For example, our X2 flash demo gallery has page rank 6: https://www.photo.gallery/demo/x2/ ... Even if we changed it to X3, it will still have pagerank 6. Pagerank is more of a "reputation" index, unrelated to the content ... A page can have a high pagerank, yet have very very poor SEO performance, like our X2 gallery page.

Also, Adding separate "image pages" in X3, would not have any impact on existing X3 pages. They will not add any pagerank or SEO performance benefit to your home page, or folder pages. However, they will naturally add the SEO benefit of becoming indexable canonical pages for a specific search that is highly related to a specific image.

Artur
Imagevue PowerPack
Topic Author

08 Jan 2015, 06:30

You're probably right about the PR. I don't get all these processes very well :)
I always thought that SEO & PR are somehow related.

Me thinking:

SEO -> PR :
Having a high place and many separate pages present in search results, we are more likely increasing our chances to raise in PR, because it automatically increases possible views and incoming links (shared on forums, soc media, etc...)

PR -> SEO :
Higher ranked (more trust) content would probably be also higher present in search results. Once again we increasing our chances to raise in PR. Although this way relations is less noticeable.

PR seems to me to be more like a "user-interaction" dependent process (not thinking about fake pages Directories), where the SEO is fully synthetic and strictly related to the site.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Jan 2015, 07:51

Artur wrote:SEO -> PR :
Having a high place and many separate pages present in search results, we are more likely increasing our chances to raise in PR, because it automatically increases possible views and incoming links (shared on forums, soc media, etc...)
In a case where you have more links shared around, which link to an image-page, which then link to other pages, then yes it would probably have some effect on pagerank eventually. However, just having "image pages" available, even indexed in Google, will not itself create an increase in page rank on any pages. You would just have a better eco-system which ultimately gives the chance of more "juice" coming from other websites. Ultimately, page rank is just a small factor for Google to determine when it lists any of your pages for an actual search. www.photo.gallery has pagerank 7, but this is partially because of a high reputation and quality incoming links going on for a decade ...
Artur wrote:PR -> SEO :
Higher ranked (more trust) content would probably be also higher present in search results. Once again we increasing our chances to raise in PR. Although this way relations is less noticeable.
Probably, but likely less a factor than you might think. I found some related links when checking the status of pagerank in 2014. One claims it is still a factor, the other claim it doesn't mean anything.
http://www.webseoanalytics.com/blog/pag ... -or-alive/
http://searchengineland.com/google-tool ... ead-205277
http://searchenginewatch.com/sew/how-to ... n-standard

The strategies that give good PR are generally good SEO practice in any regards, but the PR number itself is not really a true indicator of what Search results you can expect.