Search…

Eightkiller
Experienced
Topic Author

Audio Player, when ? :p

18 Dec 2014, 09:31

Hy,

Just asking myself if you knew when the awesome audio player will air ? :p
For sure, the marvellous musics are the key elements of my gallery that's why i'm still waiting to really dig a little bit more into X3 ^^

Thanks in advance ;-)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Audio Player, when ? :p

18 Dec 2014, 10:50

Yea, no reason it can't be added soon ... I just have a few reservations about the audio player after spending a lot of time working with performance: 1) Serving out mp3's to your visitors will hog the bandwidth of your server 2) If your server resources are limited, it may very well affect the performance for all visitors 3) Essentially, auto-playing audio is somewhat 'intrusive', and I am not generally a fan of this. 4) It is a challenge adding an interface for the audio player across all the different layouts and across devices.

However, this is a modern application I figure, and why not add something that was already part of X2? ;)

Golubovy

19 Dec 2014, 13:49

If you add a player even so, then making it available for auto play on certain pages and off on others. For example on portfolio page music switched on and switched off with text pages. Maybe it will be possible by using CSS

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Dec 2014, 12:40

Golubovy wrote:If you add a player even so, then making it available for auto play on certain pages and off on others. For example on portfolio page music switched on and switched off with text pages. Maybe it will be possible by using CSS
Don't you find it intrusive when a website starts playing music without your interaction? ... also, if the visitor stops the music, would it not be annoying if it then auto-starts on another page ... or if it goes on and off based on what page you are on? Also, if the visitor is actually listening to the music (left it playing), then why would they want it stopped when they enter a new page?

My own personal opinion: If I came to a website that started to play music on and off, there is a chance I would just leave. Actually, if I arrive at a website that plays music, the first thing I do is look for the audio button to turn off the music.

Sorry I sound very negative to this feature! ;) I am sure some gallery owners may see benefit in playing audio to some slideshows. The above is just my opinion, and I am happy to create some debate about this feature. Once it is integrated, I would just like to have it done based on good ideas and standards, and I think we need to consider maximizing control for the visitor.

Eightkiller
Experienced
Topic Author

04 Jan 2015, 05:06

You are partially right, i usually don't like to have musics on webites either, but when imagevue is used as an artistic showing of photographies, playing awesome musics in perfect harmony with the images is kinda awesome. Every people going on my site told me the music were great :) So ur opinion is quite hasty ^^ It's as if you are telling that u prefer going to see movies without music :), without music there is a lot less emotions !

So we do need the audio player !!!

Good luck.

rems

21 Feb 2015, 03:23

True, the audio player for showing client galleries is a must!
Agreed though that for a regular portfolio website I would not activate it!

Thanks for the good work!

Soundinhell

20 Nov 2015, 12:50

Audio player is needed. That does not mean everyone making a website will use it. It can be enabled or disabled. Also anyone viewing the website has the controls to stop the music.

drzylvon
Experienced

15 Dec 2015, 15:36

To be honest, I'd be just happy with the very discreet player. Easy to turn on or off, a toggle. Easy to recognize icon.
Main playlist for home or folders without music files...
Local playlist are just easy : local files are played.

Oh wait, that's the X2 player :-D

well, perhaps just refreshed a bit (when the list is long, scrolling is not ideal).... ?

The "intrusive talk" is kind of out of topic IMHO :-). If a photographer designs its page to be intrusive and scares away visitors, it's basically a failed intent, just like a bad photo would deter some. and if I remember correctly, the player could be set to "off by default" and turned on simply by a click?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

15 Dec 2015, 22:28

Will look into it after official release, as we need to launch docs and website before new features right now.