Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

radapple
Experienced
Topic Author

testimonial page

01 Dec 2014, 00:14

I'd like a testimonial page where a user can leave his message.
Regards Claudio
http://pureapixel.com/

localhost
Experienced

Re: testimonial page

01 Dec 2014, 01:36

I'd second to that... :)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

01 Dec 2014, 01:39

A complete testimonial-plugin would require database, but let me think about it ... There might be a few other simple solutions.

We were also thinking about a "Guestbook", but building it with the help the Disqus comments module.

localhost
Experienced

01 Dec 2014, 02:26

Could it possibly be done with a simple text file (.txt) being read from there? I think I've seen something like that somewhere. Yeah, as much as possible it would be nice without having to use Database.

radapple
Experienced
Topic Author

01 Dec 2014, 03:44

ok, with or without database
http://pureapixel.com/

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

01 Dec 2014, 13:52

Yes this can be done in a variety of ways, and database would not be required ... I will look into this next week once we have a few more bugs fixed.

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

16 Dec 2014, 14:08

Do you not plan to offer any caching methods? e.g. File, MySQL, and the other two I have forgotten (VPS/Dedicated). (to support using a database at some stage or another?)
I thought database was better for data storage... oh... IF you are making a large number of queries...
Yeah ok... TXT is an unadulterated method of implementing it.

Sounds great.

mjau-mjau wrote:Yes this can be done in a variety of ways, and database would not be required ... I will look into this next week once we have a few more bugs fixed.
» I Imagevue X3 «

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 Dec 2014, 14:24

Bulletproof IT wrote:Do you not plan to offer any caching methods? e.g. File, MySQL, and the other two I have forgotten (VPS/Dedicated). (to support using a database at some stage or another?)
You speaking in general for caching? Database would not make it faster ... Just look at an average wordpress DB website on average hosting. In fact, the most popular WP cache plugins w3-total-cache and wp-super-cache, all rely on disk-based file-caching to cache page output, essentially just like X3.

Databases are often on separate servers, so not only does the request go to server->PHP->render, but then also server->PHP->DBRequest->render. If you are Google or someone running their own servers, I am sure they can get databases to run quite fast.
Bulletproof IT wrote:I thought database was better for data storage... oh... IF you are making a large number of queries...
Yes, databases are more flexible for data storage, especially mass amounts ... and that is essentially the benefit. It is easier to create a system for example for search, or when "pages" are not to be locked to a "structure" like they are in X3, or if you want to sort pages/data into abstract layers like under "tags" or multiple "categories" instead of a single physical "parent" category like X3. In X3, we shaved off some complexity to create simplicity, which essentially benefits performance also.

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

16 Dec 2014, 15:21

Thank you very much Karl.
I wish I knew what I was meant to do or say when I want to show my appreciation and say 'thank you'. You need a "Thank you" button!:D

Q: Can't you cache through SQLlite instead of MySQL? SQLlite is file based as far as I know, just in an organised form. Pear has a system i've not played with, but remember in a tutorial a long time ago. There must be hundreds for PHP.

I think the other Opcode methods were Zend's... I'll be stabbing in the dark here, but xCache would be Opcode. eAccelerator maybe? and.... APC?? I've no idea about APC... It has been a while since I "fiddled" with these on a VPS or Server. Hmm MEMCache ... Another I name I remember. No doubt Memory based. Is it worth providing optimisation for one or more of these methods down the track once X3 has gone stable?

note: the reason I brought up caching was to do with the mention of a requirement of a database which got me thinking about other uses of MySQL re: performance and caching methods. Apologies for going off track!
» I Imagevue X3 «

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

17 Dec 2014, 03:47

Bulletproof IT wrote:Q: Can't you cache through SQLlite instead of MySQL? SQLlite is file based as far as I know, just in an organised form. Pear has a system i've not played with, but remember in a tutorial a long time ago. There must be hundreds for PHP.
Technically speaking, all databases are "file based" in such regards, as they occupy physical space on the server. The only difference with SQLlite, is that it most often is just a single file in the same working space on the server as the PHP files, and does not require a DB installation. However, like any other database, it does not provide any speed benefit. In fact, I would like to dispel the illusion entirely that any database would provide any speed benefit for pages or cached pages output ... Let me explain:

The fastest possible page load bar none, would be to simply load url/page.html, a pre-processed file on the server. Some modern CMS'es even operate like this today, by pre-processing the entire website into static html files. There is no faster or more efficient way to output pages ... If you are using a DB, you would still need to load the physical application file in php/asp/etc, which then would initiate the DB request, taking longer time.

X3 'almost' serves static html files, although the request is 'routed' through the X3 application index.php file, which then outputs the cache file. The result is almost as effective as static html files (which is simply unbeatable), yet we retain some dynamic control. For example, X3 will decided if the page can be served from cache, or needs to be created (processed) because it is new or recently modified.

This is the best way to do it, and also why WP cache plugins do the same. Add the fact that in recent years, disks have become much faster, especially SSD.
Bulletproof IT wrote:I think the other Opcode methods were Zend's... I'll be stabbing in the dark here, but xCache would be Opcode. eAccelerator maybe? and.... APC?? I've no idea about APC... It has been a while since I "fiddled" with these on a VPS or Server. Hmm MEMCache ... Another I name I remember. No doubt Memory based. Is it worth providing optimisation for one or more of these methods down the track once X3 has gone stable?
Slightly different concepts, but these modules will basically speedup PHP processing by caching parts of the PHP directly into the memory. It could not be used to "cache" full output of all pages on a website, at least not automatically. Furthermore, these modules are not defaults in PHP servers, so we can't really use them . I haven't any experience myself in utilizing them, but I was interested in checking out memcache for our hosted service, which might speed up processing.

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

17 Dec 2014, 07:48

Perhaps review and implement, one or more, of the Opcode / Memory caching solutions down the track. I think it would be an invaluable ("very" valuable) option to have for those running on Servers or VPS's, with root access, who want to optimise their sites to load and run faster. Whether it be inclusive or a Performance plugin as an extra fee, it would be well worth the investment for those with busy sites.

You can certainly cache sections of PHP files, functions/classes, etc. I know this as one platform a client used had the ../includes?(maybe)/ all cached and ready to go (this was on a client server).

Throw it in your X3.1 tracker to experiment with down the track for large sites or high traffic sites.
Thanks!
» I Imagevue X3 «

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

17 Dec 2014, 22:24

It is unlikely that we will spend a lot of resources with this ... Wordpress doesn't even offer anything like this with 10 years of dev and dozens of developers. Why we won't add it?

1) X3 is already a 'light' application with best caching practices. Once a page is cached, there is no way that any PHP memory-cache extension will make it run faster. Why? Because the PHP simply forwards the cached file, and there is virtually no PHP processing anyway. If your host is slow after pages and images are cached, then your server is simply slow.

2) If you are on a virtual server or run your own, X3 will not have any practical performance gains anyway. We already setup X3 on our virtual server, and it it fast, but ti doesn't take advantage of the generous resources of this servers anyway http://flamepix.com/x3/. The only impact would be perhaps when creating heavy pages like the site object (for preloading entire website), but that takes 3 seconds on this server and after that it is cached for all successive visitors anyway.

3) The main processing in X3 comes from resizing images ... If there were no image-resizing in X3, X3 would already be a super lightweight app. Unfortunately, a PHP memory extension can not help resizing an image, because it is not processing PHP code, but an image on the server.

Furthermore, having to deal with additional issues on private 3rd party servers is impractical and beyond our scope. If X3 runs slow for you after initial cache, you are simply on underpowered oversold hosting.