X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

winph
Experienced
Topic Author

Social Media Images/icon

19 Nov 2014, 22:30

Hi,

I hope you can also add flickr and instagram to the social media icons.

btw how do i add email or contact to the icon?

regards,
win

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Social Media Images/icon

20 Nov 2014, 01:36

winph wrote:I hope you can also add flickr and instagram to the social media icons.
Flickr should be available ... what is your link? As for Instagram, I definitely need to extend the icons, although I don't want to unnecessarily load an immensely huge library.
winph wrote:btw how do i add email or contact to the icon?
The mail icon is a bit special, as it only appends itself automatically if the URL contains 'contact' or 'mail'. You could set the social icons manually in the custom/footer/ section, although its tedious ...

localhost
Experienced

20 Nov 2014, 06:11

I second to this request Karl,

I'd like to have Flickr, Instagram, 500PX and Pinterest maybe?

winph
Experienced
Topic Author

20 Nov 2014, 08:45

my site is sherwintan.com/x3

localhost
Experienced

30 Nov 2014, 06:04

Hi Karl,

Could we possibly add our own custom icon on the social media part? I'm trying to locate the folder but can't. Thanks...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

02 Dec 2014, 23:57

localhost wrote:Could we possibly add our own custom icon on the social media part? I'm trying to locate the folder but can't. Thanks...
We use font-based vector icons in X3, because they are much more flexible than graphic icons ... therefore you won't find a folder with separate graphic icons ...

You could add your own graphic icons, but you should probably then be aware of the following: A) Integration of custom icons into your design is out of our hands, and B) You should probably add your custom icons into a folder public/icons/, but then you may need to remember to retain this folder on updates (likely this is automatic, as your FTP would normally just overwrite files, and not delete existing ones).

localhost
Experienced

03 Dec 2014, 03:54

Oh ok... better to wait for your vector based updates then.

So far this is what I have:
  • Instagram
    LinkedIn
    Facebook
    Google+
    500px
    Twitter

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

15 Dec 2014, 01:27

NO!!!!

Please add an option to DISABLE all social rubbish.
Email sharing is GREAT. Sharing via a link is also GREAT (I am keen for "unique shared link expiry options" too, but that is another story).

Perhaps make this social stuff a 3rd party add-on. It requires so much more code to load each time someone visits, I really feel it is unnecessary! Activating a module or add-on would then activate the hooks to include calls to the module configuration, where you could enable / disable each 3rd party social engine (whatever has been developed and coded - for example: Twitter, Flickr, Facebook, MySpace, etc.). If you focused on multimedia / photography related sites (see my signature) then that would be acceptable as default integration. But as for all that Social craze (which is already decreasing in popularity) then forget it... It is just not necessary.

Please don't ruin this beautiful master piece by forcing people to use a site like Facebook which is the biggest invasion of privacy since government medical cards!
Thank you. :D

p.s. Copy/Paste a shared link from the gallery and post it to the social site. They all will grab the details, thumbnail and other information for you anyway! :D
» I Imagevue X3 «

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

15 Dec 2014, 03:46

Bulletproof IT wrote:NO!!!!
Don't worry, the social integration will be entirely optional from a single setting. Likely we will soon launch integration with a mid-end service either addthis, sharethis or shareaholic (I think the best 3 options) just because they are flexible. As you mention, these social plugins require loading of more JS on your website, and will also somewhat crowd the interface ... They have improved slightly recently through, and with these services you will likely only need to load non-blocking 1-2 remote JS scripts.

The BAD thing is when adding the native "like", "+1", "pin" and "tweet" buttons, as EACH of them require loading a remote JS AND insert an iframe just for a button. Basic share buttons are OK, because they just provide and end-to-end reference for sharing links to multiple services.

Ultimately, we would prefer to add the sharing ourselves, which would cause very little overhead. However, when a new customer asks "I want to add korean sharing service Socar", then there is more flexibility in existing services.

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

16 Dec 2014, 13:51

Good! Because I was literally going to scour the web for every social service from countries like Mongolia (do they have the Internet?), Russia, Macedonia, Greece, Niger, Tanzania, Negeria, Congo, Vanuatu and Iceland, and request that you implement them ALL!
:D

I am totally with you for a clean, uncluttered, and undisturbed loading experience without social media. People are quite capable of copy and pasting a link if they feel so inclined to share media. AddThis integrates into 1000+ other services. I totally agree that is the most realistic service to use. Only one system to update in future should the API change!

Thank you!
mjau-mjau wrote:
Bulletproof IT wrote:NO!!!!
Don't worry, the social integration will be entirely optional from a single setting.
» I Imagevue X3 «