Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

pede
Experienced
Topic Author

Sort Images by Custom

12 May 2021, 12:40

My question is about sorting photos in a gallery: I usually choose to sort by date in ascending order.
Sometimes I just want to re-sort a few photos within that sort order.
Unfortunately, when I select "Custom", all photos are completely re-sorted, namely the new photos as the top sort.

More functionality would be given if the photos could be presorted first by selecting the sort oder by name, title or date.
If the sorting is then changed to Custom, the previously saved presort should be preserved, then individual photos can be conveniently re-sorted.
Especially if there are a lot of photos in the gallery, the variable presort could make a user-defined sorting much easier.

Do you think that such extension is possible?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Sort Images by Custom

12 May 2021, 21:56

The problem here, is that once you sort as "custom", then all images will need to receive an "index" and therefore all images are sorted as "custom" and that's that. Even if you only change order between two items, all items will receive an index, because that's how they compare sort-order with each other, and we can't compare "custom" vs "date" ... which one comes first? So once you add new photos to an existing sorted folder, they will always show on top as there is no other logical placement for them.

metallissimus
Experienced

31 May 2021, 09:16

If I select multiple images and try to resort them (by clicking and dragging), only the one I clicked on is moved. Is it possible to somehow move multiple images at once?
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

01 Jun 2021, 01:04

Sorry, but the "select" box has nothing to do with drag-and-drop. You can only drag-and-drop one item at a time into any custom order. Not sure about dragging multiple images all in different orders into a new order ... 

metallissimus
Experienced

01 Jun 2021, 08:32

If you could enable drag-and-drop for multiple items that would be a huge time saver.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

01 Jun 2021, 09:37

Yes it would be cool, but I must admit, this is a bit futuristic. Have you seen this done in other web-based apps? In addition, instead of dragging the item that is actually being dragged, it would be dragging [item that is being dragged PLUS all items selected], regardless of their order, and you might even be dragging selected items that are outside of view (easy to make mistakes). Then, on drag release, we need to take all this into consideration when releasing at a "point" ... Not only is it placing one item in sort order, but then dropped items must be sorted within themselves also.

I mean, I know most apps could handle drag-drop multiple items, but I can't remember dragging multiple items into some kinda "order". Just saying ...

metallissimus
Experienced

01 Jun 2021, 11:59

Honestly I'm not sure if I have ever seen this in a browser app, first one coming to mind is Lightroom.
mjau-mjau wrote: Not only is it placing one item in sort order, but then dropped items must be sorted within themselves also.

I mean, I know most apps could handle drag-drop multiple items, but I can't remember dragging multiple items into some kinda "order". Just saying ...
In LR the items just keep their initial relative order. So if you have 5 items, select 1,3,5 and drag them to first position, the outcome is 1,3,5,2,4. That's probably the expected behaviour if you decide to take it on.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

02 Jun 2021, 00:26

Thanks for suggestions. Will be considered!