Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

nagataka
Topic Author

Search and Tags

26 Oct 2020, 16:22

Hello,
I'm using this gallery since was coded in flash, still working online (kinda since flash is not supported) so figure out how many years!
Now I got this version, I like your work karl, you always take care of the beauty and balance the colors and the gallery works really good!
I have a couple of questions:
    Did you think to add a 'search' option? It will be useful with tons of images.
    It will be useful a 'tags' options as well.
Thanks in advance!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Search and Tags

27 Oct 2020, 00:30

Hi. Long time!
nagataka wrote:Did you think to add a 'search' option? It will be useful with tons of images.
At some point this will get added, although it might have to wait until X4.
nagataka wrote:It will be useful a 'tags' options as well.
I assume you want a function so that when you click a tag, it will create and load a page that displays images with that tag only? Or do you mean to use tags to filter images on a page?

Creating galleries from tags would definitely require a database. Maybe. As for using tags on a page to filter images, that is very likely. We have a live "filter" function in our new Files app (see demo). It doesn't actually use "tags", but it's the same mechanism that allows you to search and filter images by attributes.

christianch
Experienced

08 Mar 2021, 04:13

Creating galleries from tags would definitely require a database.
Photo gallery is Incredibly well designed !! 
But the search for information by keywords and/or tags is missing hard. 
May be you could use flat files like xml , no sql data base like https://github.com/pluxml 
Waiting the X4 ..... Meanwhile this possibility, continue it's wonderful :clap:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 Mar 2021, 00:18

christian ch. wrote:Photo gallery is Incredibly well designed !! 
But the search for information by keywords and/or tags is missing hard. 
May be you could use flat files like xml , no sql data base like https://github.com/pluxml 
Waiting the X4 ..... Meanwhile this possibility, continue it's wonderful :clap:
Thanks. Yes, it's definitely possible to use a JSON file to store data instead of database. The challenge is that to use such a feature, we must store data linked to a "file path", and if that file path breaks (rename or move file or folder), then the link breaks also. That's why some systems (like Koken) are database-ONLY with renamed images, abstract folder system, everything controlled by database. Also, even if we generate a page from "tags", it would mean we have to loop through all files/folders to locate the given tags, which is a very "expensive" process. It's definitely possible, and something to consider!

christianch
Experienced

09 Mar 2021, 03:25

I hope this possibilty coming soon !

raydoo

08 Aug 2021, 16:25

Hi there, i am planning on implementing Gallery for a Customer, any news on when the Search function will be available?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 Aug 2021, 01:41

raydoo wrote:Hi there, i am planning on implementing Gallery for a Customer, any news on when the Search function will be available?
Unfortunately, that will be a while, because realistically it's scheduled for X4. 2021 no, but hopefully 2022!

raydoo

17 Aug 2021, 14:10

Do you think it would be possible to use google site search for this purpose?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

17 Aug 2021, 20:06

raydoo wrote:Do you think it would be possible to use google site search for this purpose?
I'm not quite sure to be honest, but I doubt it, and I haven't seen many Google site searches added directly to websites as of lately. Besides, even if it could work for "pages", I don't see how it can work for images. If you have seen some nice website search using Google, I wouldn't mind seeing it!

hyc
Experienced

18 Feb 2022, 13:33

hello everyone,
I was wondering if the "tag" feature is still something considered ?
not sure if the view of OP was the same, but what I am looking for is the following :

- adding a new meta to every picture when uploaded (like "title" and "description", and now "tag", and why not being able new ones on the fly, like if i want "dimensions" for example)
- enable/disable filtering by tags on a page (when users click on a tag = "nature" it shows all pictures with tag = nature and hides the others ones, and when users clicks back on tag = all it shows all pictures)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 Feb 2022, 01:33

hyc wrote: I was wondering if the "tag" feature is still something considered ?
Yes, it's definitely considered, but it may need to wait until X4 later this year as I clean up the core.
hyc wrote:- adding a new meta to every picture when uploaded (like "title" and "description", and now "tag", and why not being able new ones on the fly, like if i want "dimensions" for example)
Yes, it would be alongside image title and description. Not sure about "dimensions" though, images already have dimensions calculated ... Or if you want to add generic ones like "somethingelse", ok but how would it be used in X3? I'm not sure.
hyc wrote:- enable/disable filtering by tags on a page (when users click on a tag = "nature" it shows all pictures with tag = nature and hides the others ones, and when users clicks back on tag = all it shows all pictures)
Indeed!

hyc
Experienced

19 Feb 2022, 01:58

thanks for your answer !
the idea i have in mind is the following :

1) have possibility to add different tags (dimensions of the underlying object, example if it is a painting of 60x120cm, or the type example canvas or acrylic, the price etc, these are proper to my usage but you get the idea, and other types not necessarly displayed but to be considered as "data-" in the html, example data-tag)

2) have filters for data-tag like above example. Then I can add some html/js code in the x3 page description to apply filter based on data-tag to hide/show content, and why not filters on the other tags (i want to see only the canvas, or the price below X eur, but i understand this is an extra step)

3) add in description PayPal links or any sort of buying link

4) enjoy and get a shop within seconds that is super fast (X3 power) and doesnt have a DB !

I think i can manage the dimension/type/price by having them hard coded in the description for now of course (like you answered here viewtopic.php?f=57&t=10411).

As for the tag filters, i am wondering if maybe i can do something in the meantime by using the image parameters (equivalent to point 1) ? 
I tried adding "source_id=nature" but I wasnt able to find out how to use source_id...(that would have been perfect to do point 2)

is there anyway to have a parameter that would appear as a "data-" in the html (and ideally as well to add any custom parameter ?). that way i could probably use something like that https://codepen.io/shakhzodtojiyev/pen/PoNyRQg to filter.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 Feb 2022, 03:37

hyc wrote:1) have possibility to add different tags (dimensions of the underlying object, example if it is a painting of 60x120cm, or the type example canvas or acrylic, the price etc, these are proper to my usage but you get the idea, and other types not necessarly displayed but to be considered as "data-" in the html, example data-tag)
Yes. Surely these items could be added as TAGS though and not separate attributes, because that's after all exactly what TAGS would be created for, to filter files based on search and or predefined filter-by-tag buttons. Just adding additional custom attributes would require panel settings to to add them, store them, and unlike with "tags", I can't build anything useful from this by default in X3.
hyc wrote:2) have filters for data-tag like above example. Then I can add some html/js code in the x3 page description to apply filter based on data-tag to hide/show content, and why not filters on the other tags (i want to see only the canvas, or the price below X eur, but i understand this is an extra step)
Yep, although as mentioned, I don't see why this needs to be complicated with tags AND custom attributes. Maybe for a quick hack, but not for a refined built-in solution.
hyc wrote:3) add in description PayPal links or any sort of buying link
You can already do this, by appending paypal buy buttons to all image descriptions in a folder. I don't see why this has to be a separate custom attribute.
hyc wrote:As for the tag filters, i am wondering if maybe i can do something in the meantime by using the image parameters (equivalent to point 1) ? 
I tried adding "source_id=nature" but I wasnt able to find out how to use source_id...(that would have been perfect to do point 2)
I think we need to separate between requests for future feature with built-in mechanisms for TAGS / filtering by TAGS, and "something you can do it the meantime". With the latter, I assume you are experienced with Javascript and have the idea to build a custom filter mechanism on the page. Image paths and descriptions are already stored inside the element that represents each image, and could then be searched with some filter lookup. Sounds very complicated to me to create this from scratch though. Besides, you can't just "filter" live with all X3 layouts ... for example, the "justified" layout is built from Javascript and would need to be manually refreshed if the layout changes (on filter).

I don't think you would use "parameters", because this was only added for panorama plugin initially. Besides, even if you get something like data-params="option1=AAA&option2=BBB", that's one big job you have to create an effective, searchable, filterable layout from that.
hyc wrote:is there anyway to have a parameter that would appear as a "data-" in the html (and ideally as well to add any custom parameter ?). that way i could probably use something like that https://codepen.io/shakhzodtojiyev/pen/PoNyRQg to filter.
There is data-title and data-description, and you could do partial matches. But then again, perhaps things you don't think about:
  • What happens when visitor clicks to view an image in popup? The non-visible images are not excluded from the popup slideshow just because they have been hidden. This requires proper implementation logic, not just show/hide by CSS.
  • X3 layouts are created by Javascript. You can't just hide elements and expect the browser to naturally adjust the layout.  In your link, it's just a simple layout, and you can see gaps between the vertical images.
  • In the example above, it just filters by data-item="" and that's it. In your case, you want to sort by multiple attributes.
I already have some modern version of filter/tags in our new files app:
https://demo.files.gallery/?balloons

Although there are no "tags" to be clicked, it's essentially the same although there is no logic in pre-adding tags up front for this app. For example, search "landscape" and it will show only landscape images (and it could have been a button-tag if I wanted to). It was a lot of work, and only works properly because the layouts use modern CSS instead of JS, and from filtering by full JSON object properties (like a browser-database). It also actually removes/adds the elements dynamically into browser, so that we have a real view of matching items, not just hidden with CSS. And this allows it to work with the popup.

I could probably go on, but I think you get the idea. Not trying to put you off or anything, but these are the things you will have to deal with, and I have already been there. This is X4 material. If you want to implement something in X3, you will be struggling with a lot of hacks.

hyc
Experienced

19 Feb 2022, 06:58

thanks a lot mjau-mjau for the time you took to breakdown the answer like that! appreciate it.
perfectly clear and i now see the limitations of the potential quick hack i had in mind.

looking forward to the X4 update then :D