Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Sparx23
Topic Author

Frontpage Scrollbar / Menu Size / Protected Pictures

04 Apr 2020, 06:42

Hi All,

First of all: I really love X3 Gallery. I bought the Pro version even though I don't need it to support the development. And thanks for the new version!
I have 3 questions / wishes:

1. I have a homepage here: www.rusterholz.me, with a slideshow as a frontpage and more or less nothing else. I have a scroll bar on the right side, is there any possibility to get rid of that?

2. I have a rather big menu with many sub-menus. As I can see the width of the menu is always as big as the longest entry anywhere in the menu. Would it be possible to have the width of the menu only as wide as the longest entry in this level?

3. Is it somehow possible to hide single pictures and show them only to logged in users? So that I have an album of e.g. my vacation with regular stuff and then hide the pictures in this same album with people in it and show those pictures only logged in persons without creating a new album.

Best regards,
Oliver

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Frontpage Scrollbar / Menu Size / Protected Pictures

04 Apr 2020, 08:42

Hi Oliver!
Sparx23 wrote:1. I have a homepage here: www.rusterholz.me, with a slideshow as a frontpage and more or less nothing else. I have a scroll bar on the right side, is there any possibility to get rid of that?
This is a complex matter, because the scrollbar is part of the OS (operating system). For your info, there is no visible scrollbar on Mac, or mobile devices (obviously). So the issues comes down to Windows OS and different browsers. What OS are you using? I thought perhaps Windows 10 already did auto-hide scrollbar, or perhaps it's a setting. But then there are differences across browsers ... There is a new -ms-overflow-style CSS style which allows us to control it in the browser, but this only works for Internet Explorer.

The answer is therefore, probably not. There might be room for improvements.
Sparx23 wrote:2. I have a rather big menu with many sub-menus. As I can see the width of the menu is always as big as the longest entry anywhere in the menu. Would it be possible to have the width of the menu only as wide as the longest entry in this level?
This is not an option, although it can be fixed with custom CSS. I'm not actually quite sure why I made it like this, but I'm pretty sure it was something to do with keeping menu's symmetric. Obviously the second level dropdowns would have to match the widest width, else the width would jump when hovering the parent menu's.

To make the 1st level match it's own widest element, add the following to Settings > Custom > Custom CSS:
Code
.menu > .has-dropdown > .dropdown {
  min-width: auto !important;
}
Sparx23 wrote:3. Is it somehow possible to hide single pictures and show them only to logged in users? So that I have an album of e.g. my vacation with regular stuff and then hide the pictures in this same album with people in it and show those pictures only logged in persons without creating a new album.
Unfortunately, no. In X3, page output will always be the same, regardless of user/login. Many reasons for this, including caching, SEO, and how X3 creates galleries from images in a folder ... More importantly, it would require an intricate user-system, where you can select each-and-every image and assign them "visible" or "hidden", from multiple users. Maybe in the future, but now this is not a feature.

Thanks!

Sparx23
Topic Author

04 Apr 2020, 15:48

This is a complex matter, because the scrollbar is part of the OS (operating system). For your info, there is no visible scrollbar on Mac, or mobile devices (obviously). So the issues comes down to Windows OS and different browsers. What OS are you using? I thought perhaps Windows 10 already did auto-hide scrollbar, or perhaps it's a setting. But then there are differences across browsers ... There is a new -ms-overflow-style CSS style which allows us to control it in the browser, but this only works for Internet Explorer.

The answer is therefore, probably not. There might be room for improvements.
Ok, thanks. Yes, I'm using Windows 10 and have this auto-hide scrollbar feature enabled. I guess I just have to live with that. 
This is not an option, although it can be fixed with custom CSS. I'm not actually quite sure why I made it like this, but I'm pretty sure it was something to do with keeping menu's symmetric. Obviously the second level dropdowns would have to match the widest width, else the width would jump when hovering the parent menu's.
As I don't care that the width jumps I just did something every seriuos webdesigner would probably kill me for and just removed the corresponding command in the js file. And without any width specified, the browser just makes it as wide as the widest entry in that menu.
Unfortunately, no. In X3, page output will always be the same, regardless of user/login. Many reasons for this, including caching, SEO, and how X3 creates galleries from images in a folder ... More importantly, it would require an intricate user-system, where you can select each-and-every image and assign them "visible" or "hidden", from multiple users. Maybe in the future, but now this is not a feature.
Yes, I was expecting that but still wanted to ask :-)
I have two more things:
- I have almost nothing in my footer, is it possible to have it smaller? There's a lot of nothing there which I would like to get rid of
- If a title of a sub-album lasts over two lines, the preview picture is not in-line with the other preview pictures, which is not very nice. Any chance of fixing that?
Best regards,
Oliver

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

05 Apr 2020, 00:27

Sparx23 wrote:Ok, thanks. Yes, I'm using Windows 10 and have this auto-hide scrollbar feature enabled. I guess I just have to live with that. 
I will take a fresh look at it from Windows, since there has been some changes in CSS and browsers. Bottom line is that it's OS and browser-specific ... The reason you see a scrollbar, is because this is default for your OS/browser, and pages generally need to be "scrollable" (for example when you navigate to another page).
Sparx23 wrote:As I don't care that the width jumps I just did something every seriuos webdesigner would probably kill me for and just removed the corresponding command in the js file. And without any width specified, the browser just makes it as wide as the widest entry in that menu.
Not bad ...
Sparx23 wrote:I have almost nothing in my footer, is it possible to have it smaller? There's a lot of nothing there which I would like to get rid of
Smaller, as in not so tall? To me, this is the minimum height of any separate element, giving it some breathing space. Also, what's the point in having it shorter, when it's at bottom of screen? I don't see that it serves any functional/design purpose.
If you want, add the below to Custom CSS, and edit the top (4em) and bottom (3.2em) values.
Code
.footer {
    padding: 4em 0 3.2em !important;
}
Sparx23 wrote:If a title of a sub-album lasts over two lines, the preview picture is not in-line with the other preview pictures, which is not very nice. Any chance of fixing that?
Really this is something we can't effectively control directly in X3. The option is to CUT OFF the title on the 2nd image so that it becomes something like "Hochseitreise USA Und K ..." (with emphasis on the ellipsis ...). Other than that, you set the grid size yourself (which will look different on smaller screen), and you can also set "title size", which will affect the outcome. Optionally, if you have long titles/descriptions, you could choose to use caption overlay or even tooltip caption, both which have no effect on the layout of the grid.

If you want to limit titles to ONE line (using ellipsis...), add this to custom CSS:
Code
.gallery .title {
  white-space: nowrap;
  text-overflow: ellipsis;
  overflow: hidden;
}

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

23 Jun 2020, 10:15

Sparx23 wrote:1. I have a homepage here: www.rusterholz.me, with a slideshow as a frontpage and more or less nothing else. I have a scroll bar on the right side, is there any possibility to get rid of that?
After posting my initial replies, it seems I may have been wrong. Indeed there were some "unwanted" scrollbars under certain circumstances. This should now be resolved in latest X3.29.0.
photo.gallery/blog/x3-29-image-resizer-and-more/
mjau-mjau wrote:
  • Fixed an issue with scrollbar always being visible (most notably on "intro" pages) even when there was no vertical scroll. * This was caused by a javascript miscalculation which caused the page height to always be at least 1 px taller than the window inner height.
  • Fixed an issue with empty "ghost" scrollbar appearing in slideshow "intro" mode when there is no page scroll. This issue was caused by the slideshow rendering on screen in pixels before the browsers scrollbar is removed after page navigation.