X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

svenflock
Experienced
Topic Author

Google Pagespeed - Different execution times between mobile and desktop layout

09 Jan 2020, 12:29

Hi!

I am currently in the last steps to optimize my website. I am successfully using LazyLoad.js to keep initial size at minimum as I serve a lot pictures.

As a last test, I checked my pagespeed at Google:

https://developers.google.com/speed/pag ... tab=mobile

As you can see, the only difference in issues is the main thread execution time. On desktop, it takes only 1.4s, on mobile 6.9s. If understood correctly, CSS does all the magic for different devices. I cannot explain that as I do not know the internal things going on in X3. Do you know what is causing the difference? I repeated the measurement 10-15 times with the same behaviour.

The website's URL is https://ziin-hochzeitsfotograf-duesseldorf.de/.

Thanks a lot!
Attachments
Mobile.png
Mobile.png (155.14 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
Desktop.png
Desktop.png (197.01 KiB) Viewed 2808 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Google Pagespeed - Different execution times between mobile and desktop layout

09 Jan 2020, 22:40

It's likely they assign a slower load speed for their mobile testing, but in your screenshot, you have outlined "main thread work", which is CPU time for the device to create and show the entire page.

X3 can't take into account everything these tools are reporting. First of all, these tools are created from the base perspective that every website is bbc.com or cnn.com, and has to display as fast-as-possible-at-any-cost, every CPU cycle, byte and millisecond counts, cutting away absolutely everything unnecessary, also for people on slow connections sitting on the bus in the morning on the way to work. X3 is a photo presentation website, which loads lots of high-res images, an advanced interface, as well as the base application which (as you can see for yourself) causes fast loading of pages when navigating from the menu.

It's unreasonable to expect top scores in Google pagespeed for X3, especially for mobile devices. You should nevertheless get above average scores with X3. The ultimate test is the human test ... Test yourself from a few different devices, and ask some friends.

svenflock
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Google Pagespeed - Different execution times between mobile and desktop layout

12 Jan 2020, 11:46

Thank you for clearing that up! Didn't know that! I followed your advise and did a lot of testing the last days with mobile devices and the performance was very good. So it's just a Google thing that it thinks it is slow. 

For all the content shown X3 is really fast on the front end and AJAX makes it feel like a single page application :-).