Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

jakob
Topic Author

Installation help

13 Oct 2019, 05:03

Hello!
A short introduction: I am more or less an amateur photographer and I have been looking for a simple way to create my own website.  I stumbled over X3 and liked the concept and the example pages so I ordered a key, reserved a domain and webspace. 
Now I am totally lost with the installation and not sure if X3 is for me since I don’t seem to have the basic know-how to even get the installation up and running.  I got as far as getting an ftp client up and running so I can access and browse my webspace, but….
The installation guide says: “By FTP, upload x3_installer.php into the directory where you want to install X3”.  That is as far as it goes, but I have no clue where to put the file on my server and I am worried it may not work correctly if I put it anywhere.
I did browse the forum and the web to find and answer for most of last night but now I feel even more like X3 is not for website creation newbees like me who have no clue about programming.
Help is much appreciated, my webspace folder structure attached.

Thank you so much
Jakob
Attachments
web paths.png
web paths.png (30.14 KiB) Viewed 3203 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Installation help

13 Oct 2019, 07:21

Hi jakob,

I can help.
jakob wrote:The installation guide says: “By FTP, upload x3_installer.php into the directory where you want to install X3”.  That is as far as it goes, but I have no clue where to put the file on my server and I am worried it may not work correctly if I put it anywhere.
The reason we can't be more specific, is because some users want to install X3 in a SUB-directory on their website (for example website.com/gallery/). Also, we don't know the folder structure of your website. Normally, the folder that represents the root of your website might be called "www" or "public_html". In your screenshot, it looks like you already located the folder "www", in which case that should be the root of your website, and that is where you would upload x3_installer.php.

If that indeed is the root of your website, you would then be able to run yourwebsite.com/x3_installer.php from your browser (since I don't know your domain name, that is just an example).
jakob wrote:I did browse the forum and the web to find and answer for most of last night but now I feel even more like X3 is not for website creation newbees like me who have no clue about programming.
You definitely DON'T need programming experience, but yes you will need some patience setting it up. Essentially, you need to create "folders" (which are pages), in any folder structure (which represents your menu), and upload images into the folders (which will create galleries). Feel free to ask! Also, here is the basic guide:
https://www.photo.gallery/docs/setup/guide/

PS! If of interest, we offer our own X3 web hosting at https://www.flamepix.com/, where X3 is pre-installed and professionally managed by us. The X3 license is included for free, so your purchase would be refunded. Optionally, we also offer a "X3 Pro Designer" and "X3 Pro Install" services at reasonable fees, if you require dedicated hands-on setup and support by us, beyond what you get in here.

jakob
Topic Author

15 Oct 2019, 16:52

Thank you so much!  Now things are up and running and I am learning.  And now I find it easy.

Thanks,
Jakob

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

15 Oct 2019, 22:38

jakob wrote:Thank you so much!  Now things are up and running and I am learning.  And now I find it easy.
Good to hear!