X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

raffi
Experienced
Topic Author

Contact form issue

30 Jan 2019, 16:45

Hi

When people send me a message from my X3 contact page, I receive the mail with no problem.
But, if I clic on "reply", instead of having people email in the "replyto" I get my own email address :(

Here is the code from the concerned page from the panel:
Code
<form data-abide class=contactform>
 <div>
<input required type=text name="name" placeholder="Votre Nom ou Prénom :)">
</div>
<div>
<input required type="email" name="email" placeholder="Votre Adresse Mail">
</div>
<div>
<input required type="Tel" name="Tel" placeholder="Votre Téléphone">
</div>
<div>
<textarea required rows=6 name="message" placeholder="Votre Message"></textarea>
</div>
<div>
<input required type="text" name="CallBack" placeholder="Souhaitez vous être rappelé Oui/Non">
</div>
<button type=submit>Envoyer votre message</button>
</form>
How can I fix that ? I'm pretty sure, this happens since a short time and was working fine in the past/previous verions.
Thanks for your help.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Contact form issue

30 Jan 2019, 21:56

raffi wrote:When people send me a message from my X3 contact page, I receive the mail with no problem.
But, if I clic on "reply", instead of having people email in the "replyto" I get my own email address :(
I have checked this, and I cannot reproduce. X3 uses TWO email variables: 1) FROM and 2) REPLY-TO. 1. The FROM email will (should) be set to your OWN email, or an email that is allowed to send on your behalf from server. Unlike normal emailing, the FROM email will never be set to your visitors email, because technically the email is not "from" your visitor, but "from" you (your server). If you could set the FROM email to the visitors email, your server would refuse to send because it would get blacklisted, and your emails would be sorted as "spam" because you are "spoofing" emails. 2. So that's where REPLY-TO comes into effect. The reply-to field is set to the visitors INPUT email, so that when you click REPLY in your email app, it will prioritize the REPLY-TO field.

From latest X3, clearly works as intended:

We set reply-to in X3 of course:
Code
if($email) $mail->addReplyTo($email, ($name ? $name : '[NO NAME]'));
If your email client is not respecting the REPLY-TO field, this would be a bug in your email app. If you give me login to your panel, I can have a look around.

raffi
Experienced
Topic Author

31 Jan 2019, 06:15

thanks for the answer.
sure I can share access.
I send it by PM in a sec.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

31 Jan 2019, 07:00

I temporarily set "recipient" in your panel to my own imagevuex AT gmail DOT com, and it's definitely working as it should. Reply-to field is populated correctly. You are either doing something wrong in your email app, or there is something wrong with your email application. Let's take a look at the email, FROM: server, TO: recpient, REPLY-TO: visitor:

Let's look at the RAW email source, which contains TO email (recipient, set from panel), FROM email (set in panel, which technically sends the email), and finally REPLY-TO email, which is the visitors input email address.

Clearly, as the reply-to option implies, when you click REPLY in email application, that is the email it will reply to. Clearly working correctly:

Sorry, but nothing changed and it's working exactly as it should (the only way).

raffi
Experienced
Topic Author

31 Jan 2019, 07:11

Ok Karl. I'm surprised because I have changed nothing and I'm using GMAIL without any MailClient app.
So look like I will have to change it manually in the futur.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

31 Jan 2019, 10:24

I'm pretty sure there is something you are overlooking somewhere. I mean, there is no other way to send emails.