Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

osterling
Topic Author

My contact form stopped working

10 Jan 2019, 23:00

My contact form is showing this error message right after someone presses the SUBMIT button when using the contact form. It was working fine for years. I checked the contact info and it looks correct. I am not sure where the problem resides. Do you have any idea? Please help. Thank you.Image
CarlosOsterling.com

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: My contact form stopped working

10 Jan 2019, 23:37

This could happen if server changes (some hosts block certain ports, or outgoing SMTP entirely). If you were not using SMTP in the first place, your server may not even have a non-SMTP emailer (although it might have had earlier), because servers sending without SMTP is often considered spammy. I need a link to your gallery location to diagnose this, as the message in the screenshot simply implies it fails.

If you are using >= X3.24.0, you can open Chrome developer tools > console, then try to send, and X3 will show a full report of why the emailer fails.

osterling
Topic Author

11 Jan 2019, 22:38

Hello. My gallery: www.carlososterling.com/port … This is my website's path to contact form. www.carlososterling.com/port/contact/
What do I need to ask Tech Support? If they have SMTP? What if they don't? Thanks for your time.

This is a screen capture of the Chrome developer tools console:
CarlosOsterling.com

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

11 Jan 2019, 23:38

Without even having to check, I can see what the problem is from your X3 PHPMailer Debug output. You have left the FROM field empty in your mail settings ... You must set this address to a valid email address, that is allowed to send based on your SMTP settings. Often, the email you add here, will be the SAME as your recipient email address. For example:
This may sound strange to you, but technically this is the way sending email from servers must work. The email must get sent FROM someone, and unlike normal emailing where an email is sent from the person who sends the email, sending from your website is technically YOU who are sending to YOURSELF on behalf of your visitors.