Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

sopax
Experienced
Topic Author

Re-install X3 to existing website

16 Dec 2018, 09:56

I have been using X3 as a sub domain on my existing website. I have now ftp-transferred the entire X3 with all its contents to a new domain. I have then bought a Consecutive licence for the new domain, but when downloading the x3-installer it tells me that it is going to overwrite everything.  As it is now, I can open the entire website, but I cannot use the Panel (logging in with my usual password, only the top black bar with the menu is visible, but no links are working). I am sending the links by PM to Karl. 

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Re-install X3 to existing website

16 Dec 2018, 21:33

I am a bit unsure about your intended transfer process, but I have now fixed the problem. It seems in your transfer, some files (including main X3 panel javascript) became corrupted, preventing the panel from loading. I simply ran the X3 updater script (see update docs), and all X3 application files got updated correctly. PS! You may need to empty your browser cache if it's still trying to load a cached corrupted version of the panel javascript.

Works now:

About your "transfer", you wouldn't really need to run update or install. You would just need to go to panel settings and click save (to make sure page refreshes to new domain). However, in your case, it seems something got corrupted when you transferred the files on server. Also, the X3 install script is for installing NEW X3 websites, in which case it would have merged the sample content with your existing content.

For post reference, the best way to migrate an X3 website to new location:
  1. First, use the X3 installer to install a new minimal-content X3 in the new location.
  2. By FTP, delete the /config/ and /content/ directories.
  3. Finally, copy in your /config/ and /content/ directories from the X3 website you are copying from.
* Your entire X3 website (pages, settings, images) are stored in /config/ and /content/ folders, and therefore, these are the only directories you need to be copying.

sopax
Experienced
Topic Author

24 Dec 2018, 10:25

Thank you - and it did work on that day. However I am now trying to login to the panel again - and again I only see the black menu bar. I have emptied cache, restarted, logged out, tried on my iPad - but same result: I cannot open the panel for editing. 
In Denmark we have Teasing Pixies, who around Christmas are making a lot of troubles, if we do not feed them with rice porridge - and with a big chunk of butter in the middle. May be I did not feed them enough?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

25 Dec 2018, 04:33

sopax wrote:In Denmark we have Teasing Pixies, who around Christmas are making a lot of troubles, if we do not feed them with rice porridge - and with a big chunk of butter in the middle. May be I did not feed them enough?
Indeed. From my experience, pixies are often the cause of problems :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
sopax wrote:Thank you - and it did work on that day. However I am now trying to login to the panel again - and again I only see the black menu bar. I have emptied cache, restarted, logged out, tried on my iPad - but same result: I cannot open the panel for editing.
I tried, and it definitely works from here. What browser? Try to open panel in a PRIVATE browser window first perhaps? It definitely sounds CACHE related if it was the same problem as before.

merc

28 Dec 2018, 07:59

Hi,

I was just looking for a tutorial how to migrate a website from one hosting provider to a new one. Fortunately I found this post by chance and it helped. 

Could you please add this as a sticky in the tutorials section as search terms like 'hoster' etc. were not very helpful?

For post reference, the best way to migrate an X3 website to new location:
  1. First, use the X3 installer to install a new minimal-content X3 in the new location.
  2. By FTP, delete the /config/ and /content/ directories.
  3. Finally, copy in your /config/ and /content/ directories from the X3 website you are copying from.
Many thanks!
Last edited by merc on 28 Dec 2018, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

28 Dec 2018, 08:11

ok!