Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

fulo
Topic Author

Show most recent photos on homepage (index)

17 Nov 2018, 08:36

Hi,

I'm just setting up my new gallery. Many things work fine, but some minor issues still rest.

On the homepage, I'd like to show a timeline of the most recent photos. The style should be like a vertical gallery.
Is there a possibility to create a gallery/page, that automatically shows the newest x items from all galleries that I have set up, without the need to assign them manually, all the time?

Thanks a lot
Philip

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Show most recent photos on homepage (index)

17 Nov 2018, 23:29

Hi Philip,

I agree this feature would be useful, and it has already been requested by others, but currently it does not exist in X3. The main reason being because X3 would have to search through all images in all folders to process and create such a page, which would be slow and might cause server problems. However, I think it is possible, and pages outputs will cache anyway, so we will definitely be looking into adding such a feature in the near future.

Thanks for your request!

fulo
Topic Author

18 Nov 2018, 13:28

Thanks for your answer,

Maybe, to decrease the server load, it would be an option to assign to an uploaded image a special flag like "timeline".
For the index page, there might be a new layout style, for example named "timeline" that shows only all the images with this certain flag/tag/whatnameever…

I have no idea if that is possible, useful or complete nonsense. Just a thought. :)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Nov 2018, 21:14

fulo wrote:Maybe, to decrease the server load, it would be an option to assign to an uploaded image a special flag like "timeline".
For the index page, there might be a new layout style, for example named "timeline" that shows only all the images with this certain flag/tag/whatnameever…
It's not a bad idea, although it would require us to store a list of "timeline" photos in database or just a JSON file.

I think however this could easily be part of a future "query" gallery plugin that gets images from multiple folders. It will only be slow if you have hundreds of folders and thousands of images ... but even then, it will only be slow on first page-load, as the page will become cached on following requests. Furthermore, a "query" plugin will allow more cool stuff, like creating a gallery page that for example shows all images with "landscape" (in name, title, description or tag). Kinda like a pre-defined "search" for a page, that can search images from all folders based on dates, size, and text.

I can't tell you when this will be a feature, but it's definitely worth implementing.