X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

CrisC
Experienced
Topic Author

"Back to parent"

26 Oct 2018, 13:17

Hi There,

I have now split my main Galery into several folders to generate some kind of "structure" and not have all images mixed together in one big galery.
I think, this will be an improvement on the page loading speed, and for the visitor it will be an improvement if he is interested in ony one kind of image type.

But now, I have one issue with this setup.

Galery / Animals / [images]
Galery / Landscapes / [images]
and so on...

If I am on the page, where the images are, I can't "easily" go back to the parent page.
I need to go to "Galery" through the menu and then, I can access the next folder.
Or - I have setup the subfolders being shown in the Menu, then I can select the next folder through the menu.

For the Galery itself, where I only have the above level, this isn't a big deal, but if I have more than one folder in a subfolder, this will make it more difficult:

- When I'm working with a model, I am preparing a hidden, password protected page.
On this page, I will create subfolders for each year.
In these subfolders, I will then Create another Subfolder for each shooting we've had that year.

e.g.:
MODEL A \ 2016 \ 001 \ [images]
MODEL A \ 2016 \ 002 \ [images]
MODEL A \ 2017 \ [images] (because we only had one shooting in that year)
MODEL A \ 2018 \ 001 \ [images]
and so on.

Since the Links aren't visible in the Menu it would be difficult for the Model to navigate through all folders - e.g. if the model want to "redownload" images from a specific shooting.

What could help here would be an option with which I can provide a simple "Back to parent" button directly on the page where the images or folders are included.
Is there any way how I could realize this?

- Probably by placing a link manually which is then pointing to the parent Page?
- Can a variable be used like {{parent}} or something like that?

Using the "navigation" option would only work for Items within the same level - in my case to switch between folder 001 -> 002 --> 003 and back
but not to go one level back... right?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: "Back to parent"

26 Oct 2018, 23:53

The user could of course just use their browser "back" button. Apart from that, I hear what you are saying, and this has been requested before. What you are asking for, is pretty much what I refer to as "breadcrumbs" ... A segment of recursive links ending on current page. For example:
Home > Model A > 2016 > 001

It would naturally store the full path of the current dir compared to root, which then can be used to navigate effectively up the tree.
- Probably by placing a link manually which is then pointing to the parent Page?
You could perhaps create a link like this in your content:
Code
<a href="../" class="button">Go back</a>
- Can a variable be used like {{parent}} or something like that?
Not currently, but might be an idea.
Using the "navigation" option would only work for Items within the same level - in my case to switch between folder 001 -> 002 --> 003 and back but not to go one level back... right?
Correct.

CrisC
Experienced
Topic Author

27 Oct 2018, 05:20

OK, thanks :)
For now I will try to create a Breadcrumb Navigation manually on that pages.

Sure, the user can just use the back button of the browser but depending on the ways the user has taken, this might not work in all cases as the expected way of navigation :)

CrisC
Experienced
Topic Author

27 Oct 2018, 07:58

Hi,

short question:
I have noticed, that it seems not to be possible to use <div > tags within the content section?
I just wanted to place the breadcrump navigation to the left and the download button to the right - within the same "line"... which seems not to be possible right now... ?!

Or maybe, you can help me with some CSS etc.?
Code
<a href="../../../">Home</a>   /   <a href="../../">Laura</a>   /   <a href="../">2015</a>

<form method="get" action="{{path}}images.zip">
  <button class="download-btnn">
      <i class="fa fa-download"></i> Download all images
  </button>
</form>

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

27 Oct 2018, 11:08

It certainly is possible.

If you are having problems, there is something else wrong, either with your html code, or you have incorrect orphan tags somewhere else on the website which is corrupting the browser.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 Jul 2022, 03:49