Search…

elpd
Experienced
Topic Author

Help with deep linking and looks of the image page

26 Jul 2018, 17:06

Hi,

This week I launched my X3 website erikfotografie.nl
Google is already indexing my pages and images so that's nice.
The only thing is that if you click on a link in the search results you go the image page instead of showing the picture in the X3 popup.
Is there a way to do/force this?
And if not...is there a way to change the information and looks of this image page? Because now the image has a frame around it, the date format is different then the rest of the site and exif details are showed. All things I wan to change.

I hope somebody can help me with this, thanks in advance!

Erik

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Help with deep linking and looks of the image page

27 Jul 2018, 02:22

Do you have a link?

It is logical that if you have managed to get individual images indexed on Google, that would be because of the "image landing page" that X3 creates for each image. For example:
https://demo.photo.gallery/examples/ass ... -football/

The above is of course a page that visitors won't normally see, because they will normally be viewing the images in a POPUP from the gallery page that contains it:
https://demo.photo.gallery/examples/gallery/vertical/

However, the entire point of X3 "image landing pages" is to 1) Allow sharing a specific image (sharing the gallery-page that contains the image is not sharing the image of course), and 2) Google search indexing of images, which relies on the image having it's own page (even though visitors don't generally see it, unless they arrive from search, which in my opinion is unlikely).

The only thing is that if you click on a link in the search results you go the image page instead of showing the picture in the X3 popup.
Is there a way to do/force this? 
It would be possible to force popup, but I don't know if Google would like it. Keep in mind, Google bases it's search indexing on what the human visitor will see, which for this page is an optimized seo-friendly layout containing all image data properly formatted in appropriate tags. If you "mask" the page with the image in a popup, the page might not be seo-friendly any more. Let me just EMPHASIZE: The image landing pages are created and optimized for SEO and sharing, and are not generally something you can expect many visitors to arrive on. Can you show me a google search that would link to such a page on your website?

Furthermore, even if we do open the image in a popup, it is ONLY that image which could display in the popup. The visitor is on an image page, not a gallery page, and will not be able to navigate to other images from the popup. This could mean your visitor may leave your website without even seeing your website menu, because they don't even see there is one.

And if not...is there a way to change the information and looks of this image page? Because now the image has a frame around it, the date format is different then the rest of the site and exif details are showed. All things I wan to change.
You can change some styles with custom CSS, but there are no settings. I need to emphasize that this page is not generally a page your visitors will access, and it was created optimally to satisfy sharing and seo. Let me know what you want done, and I can offer some custom CSS. Please a link to an image page also.

elpd
Experienced
Topic Author

29 Jul 2018, 10:38

Hi Karl,

First of all, thanks for you quick reply!
In the meantime i upgraded to X3.25.0 Beta.
Do you have a link?
Here is a link to my website: https://www.erikfotografie.nl
Here is a link to a Google Search query: https://www.google.com/search?q=infra+f ... refox-b-ab
Hopefully you see the same as me, something like this:
If you click on one of the results you will see the image page for that particular image. I already found a solution in a different topic for hiding the exif date with:
Code
.x3-file .meta {
  display: none;
}
If i hear you correct forcing to show a visitor the picture in the popup is maybe a bad idea for the SEO friendliness. That is something I don't want off course so I'll accept it is as it is.
Let me know what you want done, and I can offer some custom CSS.
General:
It would be nice to have the date in the timeago format because it's in dutch since X3.25.0 Beta or have it like it is now but then in dutch language. Also a nice feature would be a link to the gallery where it's part off.
CSS:
I want to remove the frame and have the image a bit bigger if possible

Hopefully you can help me with this, thanks!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 Jul 2018, 11:29

elpd wrote:Here is a link to my website: https://www.erikfotografie.nl
Here is a link to a Google Search query: https://www.google.com/search?q=infra+f ... refox-b-ab
Nice! It does work.
elpd wrote:If i hear you correct forcing to show a visitor the picture in the popup is maybe a bad idea for the SEO friendliness. That is something I don't want off course so I'll accept it is as it is.
I will note this down and possibly add it to next release. I actually doubt it would have any negative impact on SEO. Opening the image in popup would simply require a javascript trigger on page load.
elpd wrote:It would be nice to have the date in the timeago format because it's in dutch since X3.25.0 Beta or have it like it is now but then in dutch language.
Agreed. The date setting should inherit your date format in Settings > Advanced.
elpd wrote:Also a nice feature would be a link to the gallery where it's part off.
The "X" close button is basically a link back to the parent gallery page that contains the image, but I will consider adding a more clear button.
elpd wrote:I want to remove the frame and have the image a bit bigger if possible
In Settings > Custom > Custom CSS, try to add this:
Code
.x3-file .images {
  width: 100% !important;
}
.x3-file figure {
  border: none !important;
}

elpd
Experienced
Topic Author

29 Jul 2018, 11:49

.x3-file .images {
  width: 100% !important;
}
.x3-file figure {
  border: none !important;
}
That does the trick without affecting other things on my website, thanks!
Agreed. The date setting should inherit your date format in Settings > Advanced.
This means you gonna look in to this?
I will note this down and possibly add it to next release. I actually doubt it would have any negative impact on SEO. Opening the image in popup would simply require a javascript trigger on page load.
The "X" close button is basically a link back to the parent gallery page that contains the image, but I will consider adding a more clear button.
Thanks for considering this!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 Jul 2018, 12:01

elpd wrote:This means you gonna look in to this?
Yep. Everything noted here.