X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

drzylvon
Experienced
Topic Author

problem with permissions on new version 0.12

13 Dec 2015, 10:39

Hi,

I did a fresh install of the beta 12 and changed permissions recursively following (setting to 777) :
app/_cache/
content/
content/_shared.yml - which I believe doesn't exist anymore.

---> the diag indicates 775

My check still won't pass. Has anything else changed to which folder needing which permissions ?

Also, is there any news regarding the open base dir restrictions ? My host won't allow to disable it.

Thanks in advance !
Cheers,

Z

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: problem with permissions on new version 0.12

14 Dec 2015, 10:58

drzylvon wrote:I did a fresh install of the beta 12 and changed permissions recursively following (setting to 777) :
app/_cache/
content/
content/_shared.yml - which I believe doesn't exist anymore.

---> the diag indicates 775

My check still won't pass. Has anything else changed to which folder needing which permissions ?
First of all, the CHECK page checks the permissions of ITSELF (meaning the /check/) folder. It does this to test if the folder can write into itself without having to set permissions, which tells you if you have to set permissions for other folders. If you have already done that, you are fine. It may very well be that your _cache and content folders have correct permissions already.

To check write permissions of necessary folders, you should now instead use the new diagnostics:
yourwebsite/?diagnostics=true
https://demo.photo.gallery/?diagnostics=true (In our demo, we have purposely prevented write permission, because we don't want the public panel to be able to save).
drzylvon wrote:Also, is there any news regarding the open base dir restrictions ? My host won't allow to disable it.
Sorry no. Your server has a restriction in effect that prevents X3 from deleting PHP template files in the cache folder. This is how twig-templating works, and how caches files are maintained. We can't fix this any way. Unlikely it has any negative on your website though. Maybe once a year or so, you can log in to FTP and delete all the PHP template files in the cache (although strictly not necessary).

drzylvon
Experienced
Topic Author

14 Dec 2015, 14:27

As always, Thanks very much for the gold standard support.

Hmm ok for the open base dir, but somehow, my admin user can't even delete these folder through FTP.
But I can live with it.

Greetings,

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

14 Dec 2015, 22:39

drzylvon wrote:Hmm ok for the open base dir, but somehow, my admin user can't even delete these folder through FTP.
But I can live with it.
Sounds like a disambiguation between the "WWW" user that creates the cached files, and the "FTP user, which means one user does not have access to write/delete files from the other user. This is also the same reason why you have to manually set permissions on some folders, because when uploading by user "FTP", the "WWW" user does not have permission to write to the folders owned by "FTP". This is a regular issue on some servers, but ultimately it is the server host which have not implemented modern standards for permissions. Ultimately, they should be the SAME user or at least the SAME group across the same hosting account, so that you don't need to deal with old-school permissions.

In your case, you can't delete the files from FTP because they were created by WWW, and the server does not allow WWW to delete them either because of open_basedir. In either case, it should not be a critical issue at all.

drzylvon
Experienced
Topic Author

15 Dec 2015, 13:58

Thanks for the complement of information, I'll bring it to their attention and will see what's their stance on it, and perhaps they have something planned. But as you said, probably not a big deal for me right now.

Greetings,