Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

watson
Topic Author

Absolute beginner

23 Jul 2015, 14:39

Hi,

I'm completely new to X3. So far, wow, really powerful. I've read the docs, I've looked at the examples, I still have some questions. I am sure I'm staring right at the answers and just don't realize it.

Web page is:
https://maplehaven.flamepix.com/basement/

* I have some yellow asterisks that show up on my site. Weird. What are those and how do I turn them off?

* I have some pix, I'm almost getting them formatted the way I want, but I want them . . . smaller. How do I make them do that? Not the actual picture, I want that to remain fullsize, but the "preview".

* In the items list in galleries, I can specify title and description. What else can I specify? I tried filename and got nothing.

* I ended up setting the gallery to "split:6,6,invert". I copied that from one of the examples, and it is pretty close to what I want, but where can I found out what that means?

* Is there some way to tell X3, "unless otherwise specified, format ALL galleries with "split:6,6,invert" (or whatever).

* How can I just turn off the footer?

* On a mobile platform, some content is hidden on the right side of the screen, for example in the X3 documentation, code samples don't wrap, so the end of the line is off the right of the screen, however, there does not appear to be any way to get there, because if you swipe left it brings up the menu instead of scrolling the contents. What am I missing, how do you view something offscreen to the right?

Thank you

watson
Topic Author

Re: Absolute beginner

23 Jul 2015, 20:12

* Is there some way to tell X3, "unless otherwise specified, format ALL galleries with "split:6,6,invert" (or whatever).
Okay, I figured this one out. It's in the Settings section.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

24 Jul 2015, 04:35

watson wrote:* I have some yellow asterisks that show up on my site. Weird. What are those and how do I turn them off?
That is some leftover artifact from the prototype design, which it seems many folks are embracing. My question to you is: Why is your logo-text/image empty at the top? That is why the asterisk is empty at the top ... Until I fix an option, you can force-remove the asterisk by adding this CSS into your panel -> custom/css/ page:
Code
.style-icon:after {
  display: none !important;
}
watson wrote:I have some pix, I'm almost getting them formatted the way I want, but I want them . . . smaller. How do I make them do that? Not the actual picture, I want that to remain fullsize, but the "preview".
I can only see one page with images, called "basement". It seems you have setup the somewhat advanced "split" layout on this page, instead of any of the grid-style layouts. Since you are using a split layout like that, it is logical that the two columns fill the available width. There are therefore two logical ways to change the width of the images: 1) Make the entire page narrower by adding the "narrow" tag to the gallery or layout option, or 2) Use advanced "split" settings for your split layout, so that the images take less than 50% of the available space. This could be achieved for example by adding split:4,8 (1/3 for image and 2/3 for context) to the gallery setting, which would replace your default split:6,6. Complicated, I know, but we need options like this if we are to provide the options you request. It is mentioned here:
https://www.photo.gallery/x3docs/pages/settings/
watson wrote:In the items list in galleries, I can specify title and description. What else can I specify? I tried filename and got nothing.
Good question. This is also touched upon in the same link as above, but only by example. I can't even remember myself if I added any more items, and I definitely agree filename should be available.
Code
gallery: items:title,preview # Set order of gallery image items.
  [title,date,description,preview]
watson wrote:* I ended up setting the gallery to "split:6,6,invert". I copied that from one of the examples, and it is pretty close to what I want, but where can I found out what that means?
Yea its a good question, and I answered half of it two questions ago. Basically, the "split" layout you are using (unlike the various gallery-grid layouts), is part of the Imagevue X3 "responsive columns" framework, which is a bit hard to explain in depth. Essentially, its based on a 12-grid system, and split:6,6 means the "image" and its "context" each take 6/12 columns each, or 50% of the available width. Changing it to split:4,8, means the image would take 1/3 (33.3%) of the avaialble width, and the "context" would take 2/3 (66.66%) of the available width. The "invert" switch simply means that you flip the order of the "image" and its context, so that image is on the left. This setting is just an x3-abstraction of a rather complex "responsive" grid system, which you can read more about here:
http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/components/grid.html
watson wrote:* Is there some way to tell X3, "unless otherwise specified, format ALL galleries with "split:6,6,invert" (or whatever).
Did you figure it out? That would be in the main page settings, at the bottom in "page" or "include" settings, which can be used to set defaults.
watson wrote:* How can I just turn off the footer?
This wasn't really taken into design consideration, but you can add tag "no-footer" to the body setting. If you add it to include.body setting, it should effect all pages:
Code
include:
  body: no-footer
watson wrote:* On a mobile platform, some content is hidden on the right side of the screen, for example in the X3 documentation, code samples don't wrap, so the end of the line is off the right of the screen, however, there does not appear to be any way to get there, because if you swipe left it brings up the menu instead of scrolling the contents. What am I missing, how do you view something offscreen to the right?
Well, I would dare to say this is just a weakness of the X3 beta docs, as I don't think users are displaying code in their pages. Is there anything else than code you are referring to by example? The code isn't supposed to wrap, but instead it should be scrollable by touch ... However, as you pointed out, this currently breaks with the menu-swipe function. The menu-swipe function has been removed from pending release, so that will be working soon.

watson
Topic Author

24 Jul 2015, 07:43

Wow, thank you for the excellent answers.

You asked, "Why is your logo-text/image empty at the top?" The answer is, that this particular site will have a very small audience, and they'll all already know what they're looking at, so logos and branding don't really matter.

Split: okay, now that makes perfect sense. I've set it to 10,2,invert which is pretty good. I could whinge a little about the exact formatting of the preview, but I will read the docs more thoroughly.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

24 Jul 2015, 22:11

watson wrote:You asked, "Why is your logo-text/image empty at the top?" The answer is, that this particular site will have a very small audience, and they'll all already know what they're looking at, so logos and branding don't really matter.
Makes sense. I will need to add a switch to disable the logo, although its not appropriate for all layouts. For now, you can hook on to the custom CSS, where basically any magic can be done without settings. I suggest this fix:
Code
.nav {
  padding-top: 3em;
}
.logo {
  display: none !important;
}
watson wrote:Split: okay, now that makes perfect sense. I've set it to 10,2,invert which is pretty good.
Hmm something is not quite right, as the heading is not centered. Seems you are using both the "narrow" and "narrower" tag? Try remove one of them, or both even, and try "narrowest"? These settings are a bit random I know, but they are added for reason, and hopefully we will have an improved interface for them soon, and better docs.
watson wrote: I could whinge a little about the exact formatting of the preview, but I will read the docs more thoroughly.
Sure. Do you mean the exact formatting of the preview-image? or the general layout of each gallery item? These things are affected by your choice of font, width of your layout (wide/narrow etc) and "split" settings. You can also use tags title-small or title-xsmall in the gallery setting to make the title smaller. Ultimately, if you need precision control of the formatting of some elements, this can be done with some custom CSS, although that requires some experience using your browser devtools to identify elements and using CSS.