X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

lowagie
Experienced
Topic Author

image upload question

09 Jul 2015, 05:02

Hi All,

I'm playing with the X3 and have a question on the upload form.

I already installed 0.11, checked the requirements, searched the forum...
my check: http://www.photolowagie.com/bif/check/

Now, some pictures are perfect resized, other are NOT resized...
- where can I find the limitations of this? (linked to my server?)
- where can I adjust these limitations (in my webhosting? and if I have permissions for that :lol: )?

The one not resizing is 10,6mb and 4000x2669

Thijs

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: image upload question

09 Jul 2015, 08:13

lowagie wrote:The one not resizing is 10,6mb and 4000x2669
I believe the issue is related to the filesize 10.6mb ... By default, we have maxFileSize setting at 10MB, which is inherited from the plugin to protect from various issues (resizing, uploading). I guess we could increase this value to 15 or 20MB perhaps ...

Don't worry, it's not related to your server or anything. It's just a precaution for the client-side resizer. For now, until I can fix in next release, you would need to resize this image from your desktop, so its smaller than 10MB before upload.

lowagie
Experienced
Topic Author

09 Jul 2015, 10:49

Thanks for the feedback.

Not a "must have" for me, I can/will export in correct format for now.
I was just testing the quality of the upload & convert tool with some full size 36MP pictures and big size pictures. That could have saved me an extra export in the right format. (lazy me)

Short term; a small note on the limitations in the upload form would be enough.
If one day you are looking for a new feature, increase the allowed size (but to what limit? mid range camera's produce 15-20mb JPG's these days :lol: )

Thijs

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 Jul 2015, 12:57

lowagie wrote:Short term; a small note on the limitations in the upload form would be enough.
If one day you are looking for a new feature, increase the allowed size (but to what limit? mid range camera's produce 15-20mb JPG's these days :lol: )
Yah, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't increase it. It is however something each user should be aware of when uploading that size images ... For example, 100 x images at 15MB each would require a huge amount of processing time in the browser ... I imagine it could take several minutes before you can even click the 'upload' button. Also, if you are ambitious about best quality resizing, you would likely be better off resizing your images (to 1600-2000px long side for example) from a desktop application prior to upload. The resize quality of the javascript-uploader may not be the best, but for sure it is most practical.