Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

dark-rebel
Experienced
Topic Author

Howto: Debugging Problem with contact form?

26 Feb 2015, 15:01

Hi,

i am sorry that i am asking so many questions these days for getting everything running.

I put the server configuration for sending mails to the settings page, turned on the debug mode ( debug : true # Debug mail true|false)
but i still just get the red "x" after sending.
Where can i find the error reporting or what do i need to do to find the problem with sending messages?

Cheers,
Stefan

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Howto: Debugging Problem with contact form?

27 Feb 2015, 09:52

dark-rebel wrote:I put the server configuration for sending mails to the settings page, turned on the debug mode ( debug : true # Debug mail true|false)
but i still just get the red "x" after sending.
Where can i find the error reporting or what do i need to do to find the problem with sending messages?
May I ask the link to your website? emails are difficult to debug, because first X3 forwards the task to the PHP, which uses PHPMailer, then the task is effectively forwarded to either the smtp or localhost.

To debug the mailer, you need to use "developer tools", which are available in most browsers. Here is is a quick overview on how to do it with Google Chrome (with mac, but would be similar with Windows):

1. Navigate to your contact page, for instance https://demo.photo.gallery/contact/

2. Open Chrome Developer Tools.
The process may be slightly different from Windows.

3. Navigate to the "Network" tag in the developer tools window. It should be blank if you open it after the page is loaded.

4. Fill in the form, and click send. You will see a request mail/services show up

5. After the mailer fails (or succeeds), you can click the request, to view details of the output:

6. Click the "response" tab, and you would see the debug output.

The example above is from our demo gallery, where we did not set up the mailer yet! You may get very long responses when using the debugger, so you may need to scroll through some "junk" to get to the errors. Let me know if it helps, or you can just show me the link.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Howto: Debugging Problem with contact form?

27 Feb 2015, 10:03

I would like to recommend http://mandrill.com/ as a service for emails for those who are having problems, or simply want best performance and integration. With Mandrill, you basically get 12.000 free emails per months, which should be more than sufficient for any of you! It is super fast, because they have multiple mail servers globally, and you don't need to worry about server mailer issues.

Essentially, it is similar to gmail, and you get an smtp sending account. The different is, you can use your existing email address (you dont get an email from mandrill) but unlike gmail, it was created to be used for applications (like X3). It is pretty easy to set up ... just sign up for an account, login to your mandril panel, go to settings > smtp/api, click "create new api key", and just get your SMTP details -
You can add those details into your X3 settings, and it just works.