X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Eightkiller
Experienced
Topic Author

Limit Size of Pictures + Nav Menu position

24 Nov 2014, 10:44

Hy,

I have 2 questions, i looked on the other threads but i didn't find the answer :)

1/ How could i prevent X3 from resizing all images ? It is said on the "setup doc" that (i quote):
]If you for some reason prefer lower max-resolution, you can upload smaller images, but naturally they will not look as good.
For some galleries i would like to show pictures with a lower size not having them be resized to fit the screen (even if i clikc on the full screen mode, i would like to have the images showing in the middle with the max limited size i decided), is it possible to do that ?

2/ When i created a proper logo image with a decent size, the navigation menu does not adapt well to the size of my logo, it remains to high on the header, making the navigation when i put the mouse above the menu items mixing with my logo ( i tried to change the value of the css property .menu { top: 50%} with the chrome dev. tools, it seems to come from this property but i don't find it in the css files.
Here is a screenshot of what i mean (i would like to have the nav menu a little bit lower in order for it to appear just below my "logo level"

Here is the screenshot: http://runechronos.free.fr/imagevue_x3_menu_bug.jpg

Thanks in advance ;-)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Limit Size of Pictures + Nav Menu position

24 Nov 2014, 12:10

Eightkill wrote:For some galleries i would like to show pictures with a lower size not having them be resized to fit the screen (even if i clikc on the full screen mode, i would like to have the images showing in the middle with the max limited size i decided), is it possible to do that ?
First of all, if you uploaded images at for example 800 px, X3 does never in fact resize them to anything larger. It may still resize to a smaller size if the view is on an old mobile device with a small screen ... When you say "resized to fit" screen, I assume you are looking at the slideshow, which you have set to either "contain" or "cover" by default, which scales the image in the browser. This does not mean that X3 resizes the image from its original dimensions ... It is just a view mode for slideshow gallery module specifically, which by default scales images to fit screen for nice viewing ...

You can try to add scaledown in your gallery setting and the slideshow should not scale up in browser:
Code
gallery: slideshow scaledown [other-settings-you-have]
Eightkill wrote:2/ When i created a proper logo image with a decent size, the navigation menu does not adapt well to the size of my logo, it remains to high on the header, making the navigation when i put the mouse above the menu items mixing with my logo ( i tried to change the value of the css property .menu { top: 50%} with the chrome dev. tools, it seems to come from this property but i don't find it in the css files.
Here is a screenshot of what i mean (i would like to have the nav menu a little bit lower in order for it to appear just below my "logo level"
Well ... first of all, would you want the submenus to display MUCH further down then, far away from the first level buttons that mouse hovers over? That would be a bit strange. Essentially, the menu displays in the vertical middle of your tobar, and the height of the topbar is decided by your logo and your logo settings. Furthermore, there are loads of logo modifiers available in the logo docs here:
https://www.photo.gallery/x3docs/settings/logo/

I could perhaps add a setting that displays the menu attached to the bottom of the header area, although I am not a huge fan of that from a design perspective. May I see your website so I could check what it looks like?

Basically from a design perspective, if I was designing your website from scratch and trying to get the things in the header to work together, I would basically be telling you: "Ok nice logo there, but it is too big compared to the logo text. Perhaps make it smaller? Optionally, we can make the menu items bigger. You could also make the logo background area taller, although if you make it too fat it will be too dominating" - All 3 suggestions can be applied in the X3 settings and/or logo modifier, but the X3 logo can't work magic for you and solve logical design paradoxes.

I would try to make the logo perhaps a bit smaller by adding w320 or w240 modifiers to the logo setting, and/or adding more margin with the margin1 or margin2 tags.

Eightkiller
Experienced
Topic Author

24 Nov 2014, 13:51

Thanks for your answers Mjau !

In fact my explications could have not been presice enough :p, i'm trying to have my menu "home/galery/examples/contact" a little bit lower than it is by default, that way the submenu should still open normally, and it will be at the proper position just below my logo
here is a screenshot of what i'm trying to have:

http://runechronos.free.fr/x3_bugs/X3_p ... normal.jpg
http://runechronos.free.fr/x3_bugs/X3_p ... seover.jpg

I already tried to put margin1 and 2 but it lowers everything (the logo and the menu), i just want to lower the menu.

By the way i agree with you about the size of the first part of the logo being too large comparing to the size of the text :)

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Eightkiller on 24 Nov 2014, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

24 Nov 2014, 14:08

Not a bad idea ... I would likely add a layout modifier setting so the menu would align to bottom of header area instead of centering in the middle. Would you be so kind to post a reference to this request in the Features forum so I can easily track it?

Eightkiller
Experienced
Topic Author

24 Nov 2014, 14:25

No problem :), thanks for your help, i'm trying to detect some bugs and report it with the scenarios too :)

fsfs
Experienced

22 Feb 2015, 13:45

Karl, cant find any thread regarding...my question. This one is closest "limit size" on the topic.

What is the limit size for a file?

ex. if I upload 5mb file, what size is displayed for the viewer? As I understood X3 will resize auto... but how can it determine what is best...like if it's going to resize to 200kb on mobile devices or 350kb?

What is X3 limits for upload a file, any guidelines, or have I missed it totally?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

22 Feb 2015, 22:12

fsfs wrote:Karl, cant find any thread regarding...my question. This one is closest "limit size" on the topic.
This is a good question, and something we need to add documentation about.
fsfs wrote:What is the limit size for a file?
Strictly speaking, there is no limit for an uploaded original. The only limit would be max size upload. We recommend making your originals into "large web size" for now though, for example 2000px long side, 500kb ...
fsfs wrote:ex. if I upload 5mb file, what size is displayed for the viewer? As I understood X3 will resize auto... but how can it determine what is best...like if it's going to resize to 200kb on mobile devices or 350kb?
X3 already does this, in my opinion, better than any other gallery website. Basically it checks the "dimensions" of the area where the image is going to display, then it checks the "pixel density" of the device ... From these factors, it can calculate the "perfect" image size to load for a specified request. It will then lookup an "availability" array [100,200,320,480,640,800,1024,1280], and get the closest match from within that array. Thus offering the "best match" image ...
fsfs wrote:What is X3 limits for upload a file, any guidelines, or have I missed it totally?
This is the part we may need to improved. Because X3 cannot resize to "large" image sizes because of server restrictions, we consider your uploaded image as the "large" image, which is to be displayed on large screens for example in the fullscreen slider or popup window. Therefore, we recommend resizing your images to a large web-friendly format ... 5MB 4000px is NOT web-friendly ... Resize to 1600- or 2000px, 500kb is an "acceptable" web format for modern large-screen devices.

You are right ... we need to set some standards in regards to this.

Eightkiller
Experienced
Topic Author

07 Mar 2015, 06:04

Hy,

I may be wrong and having missed the fix but i still don't find any layout property allowing me to do what we discussed in the begiining of this post regarding the menu being "docked" at the bottom of the header in order for Logo and Menu to not overlay when mousing over on the menu ? (The 2 screenshots showing this are still available :p, -> post of 2014 nov 24 ). I really need to manage this to be able to use X3 gallery :)

Thanks in advance.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

11 Mar 2015, 02:07

Eightkill wrote:I may be wrong and having missed the fix but i still don't find any layout property allowing me to do what we discussed in the begiining of this post regarding the menu being "docked" at the bottom of the header in order for Logo and Menu to not overlay when mousing over on the menu ? (The 2 screenshots showing this are still available :p, -> post of 2014 nov 24 ). I really need to manage this to be able to use X3 gallery :)
Sorry for the late reply, as we were busy with maintenance (see post).

I don't have a solution ready for this in last release, but could you offer me the link to your gallery so I can review it? I can offer you a "custom CSS" rule in the meantime, so it would work immediately on your website.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

11 Mar 2015, 12:18

Here is a CSS fix you can use to align the menu to the bottom of the topbar:
Code
body[class*='topbar'].topbar-float .menu {
  bottom: 0%;
  top: auto;
  transform: translateY(0);
}

rokudamerlin
Experienced

23 Mar 2015, 11:47

the position from menu...... you can make ever what you want top,left,right,top/down.. is easy to edit ..
check your website ,open firebug and check (klick on your menu) .. now play a little bit the nummbers in right side (css)..you see life in the site what you edit ..and when you like your edit ..copy the css what you have edit and post it in your cutsom css .. save and finish :D
VektorStyle.de
Graphic - Web - Printdesign | X3