Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

RBachmann
Experienced
Topic Author

Warning for HTML5 uncapable browsers?

17 Nov 2014, 10:33

I just tested the new design with Internet Explorer 8 and IE9. Unfortunately they display the page either ugly (IE8) or leave just a white screen (IE9). I know they are outdated but I have them installed on my work computers :(

Is there a warning planned to inform the visitor that they are using an old web-browser?

Maybe it's just because of the configured proxy-settings of the computers but maybe other visitors with IE8/9 have the issue too.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Warning for HTML5 uncapable browsers?

17 Nov 2014, 10:45

RBachmann wrote:I just tested the new design with Internet Explorer 8 and IE9. Unfortunately they display the page either ugly (IE8) or leave just a white screen (IE9). I know they are outdated but I have them installed on my work computers :(
Yep. X3 is so in demand of a modern browser, that it doesn't even make an attempt to try to make a fallback version for outdated browser, which is basically Internet explorer 8. As for IE9, you will in fact not find many on this version because they built in auto-update in explorer 9 ... So basically there are a few users on IE8, but most IE9 are auto-updated to IE11 or IE11. Also, although imagevuex probably has a more tech-savvy visitor base than average, these are our statistics for browser:

2.3% on Internet explorer, and all of them are IE10 or higher. I was a bit surprised myself:
RBachmann wrote:Is there a warning planned to inform the visitor that they are using an old web-browser?
Definitely a very good idea, yes. This should be in the features forum ... Incompatible browser visitors should simply be made aware that the site will not function properly, instead of seeing some garbage that dont work ...
RBachmann wrote:Maybe it's just because of the configured proxy-settings of the computers but maybe other visitors with IE8/9 have the issue too.
I am not 100% sure about IE9, but as mentioned, this should be an incredibly slim user group now ... slimmer than IE8. IE8 will not work, or will at best look awful ...

RBachmann
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Warning for HTML5 uncapable browsers?

17 Nov 2014, 12:48

mjau-mjau wrote:X3 is so in demand of a modern browser, that it doesn't even make an attempt to try to make a fallback version for outdated browser
I like the way you act and I totally share your opinion :-D

I currently work for two companies with around 40k and 20k employees respectively. Unfortunately the default browser of the 40k company is IE8 and the one of the 20k company is IE9 (I heard this one is getting updated to IE11 soon, though). I think a simple message that the used browser is outdated and therefore not supported by X3 should be enough (I guess I saw something like that some time ago accessing Google calendar through the webbrowser).