Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

RIIID
Topic Author

Multilang

09 Sep 2023, 02:02

Good morning,
how to go about creating a multilang site? I have seen it done in your example galleries - but can not find instructions or mention thereof in the forum.
I do not mean the interface translation, but dishing out different pages per language, selectable by a flag symbol. Of course, the interface translation would need to observe this also, prioritizing over the browser lang.
Alternatively, I would be happy to latch on to the "auto" in interface translations and present pages according to the browser lang (if available) with EN as default.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Multilang

09 Sep 2023, 03:53

X3 doesn't actually have a true multi-language feature. This is achieved by some users by simply duplicating their primary X3 website into a subfolder (or sub-domain) and simply translating it. In other words, it requires two X3 websites. I made some posts about how to implement the flags and inter-linking in the post below:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9073

About "interface language" and actual website page language, they are really two different things. It's perfectly fine to have simple interface-only phrases translated on the same page, like "next", "images" and so on. It won't confuse search engines either, because it's unrelated to the actual page content. However, when you want entirely different (text) content on a page, this would mostly require two different urls. Also, you couldn't use X3's "interface language" mechanism for that, because it simply replaces small short texts in pre-defined buttons/elements via CSS. Real multi-language X3 websites without duplicating, something for the future!