Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Ch3ck3rM0n
Topic Author

Sitemap is not correct/updated

21 Apr 2023, 04:26

Hi guys,

hopefully someone can help or enlighten me.

I have been using X3 gallery and the internal sitemap generator for a long time without issues. Since a few week (maybe months) google can not index all urls from the generated sitemap. What I can see from the sitemap, it includes some wrong urls and the timestamp did not change since 23rd August 2022. Check it here: SITEMAP

When you have a look to the last url in the list, it is completely clear, why Google can not index it. The url in the list is wrong.
At the moment it is not clear to me, why the addresses are different. Once with "%20" (for space) and once with underscore. Also I do not understand how to get a new sitemap generated with current date.

Hopefully someone can help me.

Thanks,
Manuel

metallissimus
Experienced

Re: Sitemap is not correct/updated

21 Apr 2023, 07:50

Thanks for bringing this up. My sitemap also doesn't reflect recent changes: https://hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de/sitemap/
I have edited most sites just yesterday.

I believe it might not be much of deal anyways. I assume google doesn't really rely on these information.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

21 Apr 2023, 11:03

Ch3ck3rM0n wrote:and the timestamp did not change since 23rd August 2022.
But can you post at least a link to a page that has a newer timestamp then? According to page meta data, the below link was updated on 23rd August 2022. Perhaps the "updated" tag is not updating as it should.
https://www.manuelfocus.de/Vorher_vs_Nachher/
Ch3ck3rM0n wrote:The url in the list is wrong.
I checked the folder name, and it's definitely set to Vorher%20vs%20Nachher (empty spaces):
https://www.manuelfocus.de/content/Vorh ... Silvia.jpg

I'm not quite sure how you created this folder name in the first place, because X3 does not support empty spaces when you create folder names in the X3 control panel. This is because it doesn't look nice (empty spaces need to get encoded) and internally, X3 will replace %20 with _underscore. Instead of empty spaces, you should use hypens "vorher-vs-nacher" for consistent url's

Of course, the sitemap is rather pointless in 2023, because Google will easily find your url's anyway.

metallissimus
Experienced

22 Apr 2023, 05:07

mjau-mjau wrote:But can you post at least a link to a page that has a newer timestamp then?
I feel free to answer that, since I have the same issue: https://hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de/h ... den-baden/
Last edited: 2023-04-20 (I might have made a tiny adjustment on April 21st as well).
The sitemap says the last change was on Dec 15th last year.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

22 Apr 2023, 22:41

I have been looking into the sitemap DATE issue, and it works like this: Upload new images, date changes. Update settings or text on page, date does not change. It has always worked like this, so right or wrong, this is nothing new. The date mechanism comes from the folder "modified time" on server, and this changes when changes are made inside the folder (files added, deleted, renamed). However, it is not affected by changes inside a file (page.json) inside the folder. I could of course look into this for next release, as it makes sense that "modified date" should also be affected by changes to text on the page.

Just for reference, this also affects the "updated_time" meta tag in each page document <meta property="og:updated_time" content="1671127813">, which would have more purpose than the one in sitemap.xml, if any purpose at all.

As for the usefulness of this date, as long as the date does not display in Google search results, I don't think it has any purpose at all. And as noted regarding sitemap, this is only used to expose links that search engines can't find from your main website, which normally doesn't amount to anything.

Ch3ck3rM0n
Topic Author

24 Apr 2023, 08:42

mjau-mjau wrote:
Ch3ck3rM0n wrote:and the timestamp did not change since 23rd August 2022.
But can you post at least a link to a page that has a newer timestamp then? According to page meta data, the below link was updated on 23rd August 2022. Perhaps the "updated" tag is not updating as it should.
https://www.manuelfocus.de/Vorher_vs_Nachher/
Ch3ck3rM0n wrote:The url in the list is wrong.
I checked the folder name, and it's definitely set to Vorher%20vs%20Nachher (empty spaces):
https://www.manuelfocus.de/content/Vorh ... Silvia.jpg

I'm not quite sure how you created this folder name in the first place, because X3 does not support empty spaces when you create folder names in the X3 control panel. This is because it doesn't look nice (empty spaces need to get encoded) and internally, X3 will replace %20 with _underscore. Instead of empty spaces, you should use hypens "vorher-vs-nacher" for consistent url's

Of course, the sitemap is rather pointless in 2023, because Google will easily find your url's anyway.
I changed my side now to use hypens (minus) and everything works now. Don't know why it is possible to use empty spaces, but it is :-D

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

12 Sep 2023, 06:33

Ch3ck3rM0n wrote:the timestamp did not change since 23rd August 2022.
metallissimus wrote: Thanks for bringing this up. My sitemap also doesn't reflect recent changes:
This was fixed in X3.32.0. See release post:
photo.gallery/blog/photo-gallery-x3-32/