X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

petri71
Experienced
Topic Author

Slow website

07 Apr 2023, 09:22

Hello,

I am been trying X3 for some weeks now and in the beginning, all was working fine, but since a week loading galeries is taking a lot of time. On desktops but especially on mobile phones. Maybe it's my server, I don't understand why it was fine in the beginning, maybe it's because I did not have a lot of images.

I still have so many images to load, I would like to solve this problem first.

I was wondering if there were some documentation on how to make X3 and my server faster.

For your info I followed the image size docs and set your uploaded to 2560px... but I am not reaching the target of 300... more like three times more.

petri71
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Slow website

07 Apr 2023, 10:07

http://www.coquille.org/x3/cellpix/2016/

forgot to add a link sorry

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

07 Apr 2023, 10:27

The first page loaded quick.

However, when navigating to another page, it was very slow. Something wrong for sure, but I really don't know what it is ... It's only page loading / generation, as images and assets seem to load at reasonable speed. I see this server runs on "LiteSpeed", which I have hardly seen before on hosting services ... Nothing specifically wrong with LiteSpeed, but I suspect it is related. Is there any overview page on the hosting that explains what service you are paying for? Unless the hosting can resolve this, I don't think there is much we can do from X3. As you will find in our X3 Showcase, almost all websites load pages very fast ... X3 generates the page, and then caches it.

What's further strange, is that when loading a page directly (not from navigation), it always seems to load fast. All in all, I have to conclude that this hosting is doing some strange things, or is under-powered or over-shared.

petri71
Experienced
Topic Author

08 Apr 2023, 07:53

alright, the hosting is a Canado-French company with servers in both places, ex2.com, I will have a talk with them.

but now that I am writing the mail, I am testing the wenbsite and it's super super fast... I don't get it.

I changed browser to test if it was a cache problem but no, other browsers are super fast too

So problems solved.... unless it starts again later... we'll see, I'll add another 2k images and see how it goes.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Apr 2023, 10:52

X3 uses some special caching system that caches pages into a single file as the pages are created. This file will load into Javascript, and navigation will then seem instantaneous (because it doesn't load anything). This is good of course, but it could be misleading in case your website becomes slow again when you make changes and pages need to get re-generated. I could be wrong and your website is faster now anyway, but I can see when navigating folders (also from new private browser), that pages are instantaneous because they are preloaded into cache object.

DaleCooper

24 Apr 2023, 06:01

Hi,
I've the same problem: slow loading.
I'm testing X3 Gallery because my actual portfolio engine is outdated (Juicebox-Pro by SimpleViewer). You can view it here: www.leleweb.it
I like X3 so much but the problem is the big amount of time to load the gallery.
Ok, I've 1715 photos but in the actual site the loading is very quickly: not the same thing with the X3 demo you can view here: https://www.leleweb.it/x3/fotografia-analogica/

How can I do?
Many thanks

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

24 Apr 2023, 23:21

DaleCooper wrote:not the same thing with the X3 demo you can view here: https://www.leleweb.it/x3/fotografia-analogica/
That's an extreme example of course with 1715 images. I am guessing it was slow for you for a period of time, because the server has to resize 1715 images while you are scrolling. This will make the server very very slow for a while, until images are resized and cached.

The document and images load quite fast here, 734 ms, although the document is 1.2 MB and contains 1715 photos. Also, images load quite fast when I scroll, supposedly now because they have been resized already.

DaleCooper wrote:I'm testing X3 Gallery because my actual portfolio engine is outdated (Juicebox-Pro by SimpleViewer). You can view it here: www.leleweb.it
Where can I see the page with 1715 images? I just get to a simple home page with only one image. When I click "view gallery", it takes me into fullscreen (which I don't want), and when I exit, it takes me back to the single image home page.

Even if I remain in fullscreen, it's only showing 16 images at a time, surely not comparable to a page where you want to show 1715 images instantaneously on scroll. Even on this website, those small thumbnails would have to get created at some point also, either from SimpleViewer control panel, or as they got displayed. And this would have been as slow as your server resources allow.

Try again. It's perhaps not very useful for visitors to view that many images on a single page? It's possible of course, but then you must permit some longer delays while your server is resizing 1715 images when you scroll fast through them first time. This could take a while on shared hosting, before all images are processed and your server speeds up again.

DaleCooper

25 Apr 2023, 15:04

The document and images load quite fast here, 734 ms, although the document is 1.2 MB and contains 1715 photos. Also, images load quite fast when I scroll, supposedly now because they have been resized already.
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Yes, images have been resized already.

There's no a page with 1715 images like in the work-in-progress demo but the user can view them easily 16 at time.
I've to find a way to obtain a similar thing.
I'd like to show the user the page with all 1715 photos taken in these 9 years as I showed you on the demo page.
On the current site, even if 16 photos are shown at a time, the page is immediately accessible. In the new no.
Then of course, I'll make pages dedicated to black and white, to this or that other camera, but I need a page where everything is there.
Is there a way to show a certain number of photos at a time instead of keeping the page invisible until everything has loaded?

Thank you very much

metallissimus
Experienced

25 Apr 2023, 15:51

DaleCooper wrote: Is there a way to show a certain number of photos at a time instead of keeping the page invisible until everything has loaded?
You could go for something like this: https://hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de/test/ To set this up, in your gallery folder under Settings > Gallery you pick "slideshow" from the "Select Layout" dropdown and select "Thumbs" under "Navigation Elements".

I think this is the closest you can get to the user experience from your old site without breaking the gallery up into smaller ones.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

25 Apr 2023, 23:54

DaleCooper wrote:In the new no
Not quite sure what it looks like on your side, but here the page takes max 1-2 seconds to display. Not sure how more "immediate" you expect, especially when the page has to render 1700+ images in a layout on load.
DaleCooper wrote:On the current site, even if 16 photos are shown at a time, the page is immediately accessible.
Not sure how you are doing this comparison. First I have to load the very simple page, which takes at least a second.
Thereafter, I need to click to load the interface, which takes at least 3-4 seconds to display first thumbnails and images (when not cached in browser). The comparison is not accurate, it's definitely not immediately accessible.
DaleCooper wrote:Is there a way to show a certain number of photos at a time instead of keeping the page invisible until everything has loaded?
It doesn't actually load all the images, but it needs to load the page that contains reference to all 1700+ images. I'm not quite sure how long time it takes on your side, but as you can see in my first screenshot, this process does not take long here.

DaleCooper

26 Apr 2023, 02:53

metallissimus wrote:
DaleCooper wrote: Is there a way to show a certain number of photos at a time instead of keeping the page invisible until everything has loaded?
You could go for something like this: https://hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de/test/ To set this up, in your gallery folder under Settings > Gallery you pick "slideshow" from the "Select Layout" dropdown and select "Thumbs" under "Navigation Elements".

I think this is the closest you can get to the user experience from your old site without breaking the gallery up into smaller ones.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep that in mind.

DaleCooper

26 Apr 2023, 03:06

mjau-mjau wrote:
DaleCooper wrote:In the new no
Not quite sure what it looks like on your side, but here the page takes max 1-2 seconds to display. Not sure how more "immediate" you expect, especially when the page has to render 1700+ images in a layout on load.
Thanks for the reply.
In the current site, despite those 3-4 seconds of loading, however I can immediately enjoy all the photos.
Not on this site, where from my phone (iPhone 14 Pro connected via Wi-Fi) I have to wait even 90-120 seconds before being able to see a page: in fact I see a blank one while I wait.

Even if I divided the page by type of photo (for example color or black and white) I would have 911 photos on one side and 552 on the other (plus other photos taken in cross processing).

However, I will try to do other tests, dividing the photos by album.
I hope to arrive at a permanent solution so I can buy the license.

Thanks for now.

metallissimus
Experienced

26 Apr 2023, 04:06

DaleCooper wrote: Not on this site, where from my phone (iPhone 14 Pro connected via Wi-Fi) I have to wait even 90-120 seconds before being able to see a page: in fact I see a blank one while I wait.
I had tried your site before (Mac Mini, Firefox) and I could instantly(!) see a whole page full of images. I only had to wait when scrolling because of the lazy loading (which of course happens on purpose).
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography