X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

Unknown panorama (photosphere) type image

26 Dec 2022, 00:31

Hello, Karl.

I have an image, that unlike all my other equirectangular format images (which display correctly), this 1 image will not display as a panorama.  I can tell from the shape of the image that it is not an equirectangular image.

I can see it in my folder in my panel, but it will not display as a panorama.

If I go to THIS folder, the 1st of 2 panoramas display fine.  When either of those 2 images are displaying, if you press the Escape key, notice the 3rd (very-wide) image... that's the image that will not display as a panorama, but if you click on the image, the image is displayed in X3... just not as a panorama.

I realize that equirectangular images all have a 2:1 ratio, and this problem image is not 2:1... it's 7680*2758.

Is there any way that you can tell from the source HERE exactly what type of image it is?  I'm fearing that it is not compatible with X3, and that therefore X3 will not be able to display it as a panorama image.

Thank you in advance.
Self-hosted using Abyss Web Server:   AuroraWings.me   |   GalleryWings.com   |   PanAurora-Studio.com   |
Externally-hosted using LiteSpeed/Apache Web Server:   GenealogyWings.com/galleries   |

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Unknown panorama (photosphere) type image

26 Dec 2022, 03:06

Hi. I checked the source, and as you have noted, this is not an "equirectangular" panorama, which by definition needs to be exact ratio 2:1. This is what they might call a "partial spherical panorama" or a "cylindrical panorama", because although the it rotates 360 degrees horizontally, it doesn't rotate 360 degrees vertically. Unfortunately, X3 (using Marzipano) doesn't automatically support this "partial" panorama, for one it doesn't know that it's a panorama or a spherical one ... Besides, it can't automatically fill the "missing" top/bottom areas.

One solution would be to open the original source in any image editor, resize the canvas HEIGHT so it's exactly half the width, and save it. You will have black or white areas at the top/bottom, but that's only to be expected of course.

As you can see on Google, it fills in top/bottom areas with black:

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Unknown panorama (photosphere) type image

26 Dec 2022, 06:20

That fixed the problem, thank you.

I did notice that my horizon (Atlantic Ocean) has multiple tall oceanic hills... in other words, the horizon consisting of the ocean is not flat  :thinking:.  But when I checked the source, the horizon is exactly the same.  But I can live with that, until if/when I find a better image.

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.
Self-hosted using Abyss Web Server:   AuroraWings.me   |   GalleryWings.com   |   PanAurora-Studio.com   |
Externally-hosted using LiteSpeed/Apache Web Server:   GenealogyWings.com/galleries   |