pabio
Topic Author

Firewall Detected problem

02 Sep 2022, 00:02

Hello,
I have a problem saving the setting.
The message appears ...

"Firewall Detected!
Your server returns "Forbidden" when trying to POST X3 settings to x3_settings.php. This indicates that your server has a firewall, which is blocking the POST. You need to ask your host to disable the firewall (or disable some rules) for the /panel/ directory.
There is nothing wrong with having a Firewall, but X3 needs to be able to SAVE settings obviously. The firewall is meant to protect your website, but your X3 panel is already protected by login for known users."

I contacted support and asked for ModSecurity to be changed. It turns out that I can do it myself from my panel after logging into the server. Unfortunately, this does not solve the problem. Still some firewall blocking access to "x3_settings.php"

PS. This link (viewtopic.php?t=9282) explain a lot but not solving my problem.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Firewall Detected problem

02 Sep 2022, 02:42

In the end, IF you have a firewall (and it seems you do), then it needs to be disabled, or the specific rules that are triggering need to be disabled. X3 panel is after all login-only, so it doesn't need firewall protection ... But the panel needs to be able to save data of course, so you can't have a firewall blocking that.

Ultimately, if you have already disabled the firewall, either it's not disabled properly, or you did not restart, or there is another form of firewall ... I can't say this. You need to deal with this with your hosting.

How can we know for sure it's firewall? The test is simple: In panel, open browser dev tools > network, and click save (where it fails), and you will see the PHP POST script response with a RED 403 or 500 server error. Then loading that script directly in browser (without POST), and it will be empty, but it will return a success response code. This means your FIREWALL is blocking some POST requests.

You need to disable the firewall, at least for the /panel/ section, and only you and/or the host can do this.
pabio wrote:PS. This link (viewtopic.php?t=9282) explain a lot but not solving my problem.
The above post is about the firewall triggering for a specific HTML tag "<script>". This could be the same case as yours (or it may always trigger), but it's still a firewall that needs to be disabled.

If you have panel login, I can take a closer look, but it's likely I will just confirm what I said above, with some firewall remaining enabled.

pabio
Topic Author

Re: Firewall Detected problem

04 Sep 2022, 01:43

Hi,
Everything was as written. The test showed an error of 403.
However, the mistake was that the domain and hosting were at different servers with two other companies. After the transfer i didn't change my name servers it was my mistake. After the update, everything works as it should.
Not the hosting was to blame but the domain parking.
THX

Finally, after 6 years from the first purchase of this application, it is time to finally bring it back to life, which I am going to do soon.
Robert