Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

sound_and_light
Experienced
Topic Author

Site just spinning

06 Apr 2022, 10:22

Not sure exactly when this happened, but when I go to my site: https://ravagetherain.com/imagevue2.8/ it never loads.
Not seeing any errors in my browser console either.

If you recall, I had some issue with a corrupt file(s) in the past.  I think that's resolved.  At least the folders now load
quickly (I broke them into two) in the panel.

I haven't changed any settings that I can recall.

Thanks!  Eric

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Site just spinning

06 Apr 2022, 11:52

First of all, that site requires a login so I can't even test. Apart from that, I see it's an old X2 website and X2 was deprecated more than 5 years ago after browsers stopped supporting the Flash plugin. Furthermore, if your server is automatically updating PHP versions (which it probably is), old X2 won't work on new PHP versions. Read more:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=9368

sound_and_light
Experienced
Topic Author

06 Apr 2022, 13:56

Ah, sorry about that.  I updated the site from a very old version maybe 2 years or so.  At the time everything was working.  I'll dm you my credentials. It's possible (probable) my host is updating php.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

07 Apr 2022, 02:05

Thanks. I checked the website, and it's actually X3 (not X2 as I assumed, because of the folder name "imagevue2.8"). I can confirm that the website is not working, as server is returning "500 (Internal Server Error)". Actually, I have seen this error before ... Your website stops outputting code somewhere in the middle, and this is because if missing mbstring or iconv extension (or incorrectly configured). This would have changed when you/they upgraded the PHP version on your website.

Do you have a hosting login where you can change PHP version? If so, can you please try to change to PHP 8 or PHP 5.6/5.7 just to see what happens? Most important is to change PHP version because extensions are installed per PHP version.

Next step is to contact your host. This is always caused by a missing/misconfigured PHP extension than handles character encoding:

sound_and_light
Experienced
Topic Author

08 Apr 2022, 09:00

Thanks, Karl.  I went to my host and changed the php version to 5.6 or 5.7 and now everything is back.

I'll drop their support a line and indicate what they broke.  Should I update back to 7x if/when they fix it?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Apr 2022, 11:16

sound_and_light wrote:I'll drop their support a line and indicate what they broke.  Should I update back to 7x if/when they fix it?
I don't know if you can choose between multiple PHP 7x versions, but if you can, it's likely only one of them is misconfigured. Also, now that PHP 8 has been out for a while, it's only a question of time before you can choose PHP 8.

But yes, you should upgrade to latest PHP whenever possible. I run X3 on PHP8 on our servers. The problem is that the specific PHP version you were using is installed with a missing or misconfigured extension. It's a bit random. You should notify your host, but chance is some hosts simply think it's the users fault or the installed apps fault and you will be ignored  :tired_face: :relaxed:

Oh, did you check if your hosting supports advanced PHP options enabling/disabling extensions? If so, you would probably find an extension/feature that is disabled but should be enabled, specifically for the currently used version.

sound_and_light
Experienced
Topic Author

11 Apr 2022, 13:46

I'm getting that "Error: No Request Parameters" when I try to save caption changes now.  We went through this before.
Did this start again because I went back in php versions?  If anything, my files are cleaner now.  I've been removing bad
characters from the filenames.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

11 Apr 2022, 23:58

Must admit I can't remember that issue or what the problem was. Was it in another forum request? I believe this happened because of one (or more) specific images? Not sure if or why it works differently between PHP versions (if it does).

I could perhaps look into preventing errors on images with "bad data" ... If you have a specific image that causes this. Still not sure how the "error: no request parameters" happens though ...

sound_and_light
Experienced
Topic Author

12 Apr 2022, 09:59

Yes, it was on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=10288&p=47688&hili ... ers#p47688

I was thinking it was site-wide, but it seems to be the new-york-city folder where I'm getting the "No Request Parameters" error.  Is it a bad file?  Illegal character(s) in a filename(s)?  I wish I knew what was triggering it.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

12 Apr 2022, 10:20

You mean /imagevue2.8/new-york-city/? That folder works fine here.

sound_and_light
Experienced
Topic Author

12 Apr 2022, 11:47

No, in the panel.  It (new-york-city) loads really slowly and then any time I try to save a data change I get that "No Request Parameters" message in the bottom right.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

12 Apr 2022, 22:33

Right. It works here, loads in 1.65s.
I would normally say, depending on server, it could be slow when it has to load 337 images ... but 1.65 seconds isn't really noticeably slow. I also tested successfully in Safari. I doubt this is an error with an image, because then it would be persistent, regardless of browser.

Could it be a browser extension? Try from another browser?

sound_and_light
Experienced
Topic Author

13 Apr 2022, 11:08

The slowness isn't a deal breaker, but I have to be able to edit my data fields.  I don't think it's a browser extension because it's only doing this in the "new-york-city" folder.  The others allow me to add titles, etc.  If you try to do something simple, add an "x" somewhere and save, will it throw an error in the console that might indicate what's going on?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

13 Apr 2022, 11:54

Sorry, I wasn't fully aware of the issues from reading this post, so I hadn't assumed the specific error occurs when trying to SAVE captions. Indeed when I click SAVE, I see the same error as you. Looking at the previous post from some time ago, it's almost certainly related to some incorrectly encoded IPTC data in one (or more) files.

I was actually tinkering with this recently when creating our Files app, because I needed to make it "waterproof" and bypass any character encoding problems that may exist inside some images (using JSON_PARTIAL_OUTPUT_ON_ERROR). I would be interesting in integrating a similar solution into X3 for next release, which I am starting this week. I would probably want to download all images from your "new-york-city" folder to make sure I have everything covered.

In the meantime, if you want this solved before, we would need to play a game of elimination to locate what image(s) in that folder are causing the error.

Also, just to be clear, this error surely isn't related to PHP version? I mean, was it working in this dir before you downgraded PHP?
sound_and_light wrote:The slowness isn't a deal breaker
I can't see any logical reason why slowness would be related to the error in any way. You have 337 images, and every time the dir loads, it needs to extract all image info. From here, it wasn't slow (1.67 seconds), and I don't see that it is slower than any other dirs with the same amount of images. It could be slower at times when many websites are being visited on your shared hosting environment. In any regards, that amount of images could be even slower on many other servers.

sound_and_light
Experienced
Topic Author

13 Apr 2022, 17:42

No worries.  I thought we solved this before, so maybe I added a new, corrupt file since?  I'm not sure since I can't tell if a file(s) are corrupted in this way.

You can download the new-york-city folder contents.

I just tried to chat with my host and we got as far as them asking me: "Could you please let me know what type of character encoding are you wish to use in PHP 7.4?"  Which I could not answer at this point.

I don't think the  "No Request Parameters" error is the php version, as it's only happening in one folder.  I mean, I guess php7x could be encountering a problem with only some images in that folder.  Is that possible?  Let me know and I'll change it back to 7x to test.  In 7x, the index page breaks and keeps spinning, but in 5x (and maybe 7x) I have the character encoding issue.

When do you think the fix you're planning will be live?
Thanks, Eric