Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Site just spinning

08 Aug 2022, 22:17

sound_and_light wrote:I see the "new-york-city-copy" via FTP, but I don't see it here: https://www.ravagetherain.com/imagevue2.8/panel/
sound_and_light wrote:so how do I edit it and test for where it's breaking?
That's basically my question to you. If it doesn't break, then there is no problem. If you break it, then at what exact process does it break? I have already tried to upload photos and edit titles from here.

sound_and_light
Experienced
Topic Author

09 Aug 2022, 11:08

Got it.  I forget that sometimes folders get put at the top.

So far I haven't been able to replicate the error in this folder yet.  Very strange.  I had a suspicion that since I
occasionally use FTP to upload files or create directories, that that might be the problem.  But I've even FTP'd
an image and added titles, etc, and not getting that error message.

Stay tuned.  This keeps happening so I'm bound to run into it again.  I'll try to do my testing soon, so it doesn't
turn into me pinging you in a few months and having to get back up to speed on it.

Thanks! Eric

sound_and_light
Experienced
Topic Author

09 Aug 2022, 16:28

Karl,

What I don't get is that error message is part of your app, yes?  When you try to change text in the folder that's broken
(https://www.ravagetherain.com/imagevue2 ... -york-city) is there no error log that gives an
indication of what's failing?  It looks like the text changes aren't succeeding.  If I hit 'reload' after trying to change/add
text, it's gone.  Is this not something PHP throws an error for (Assuming you're using PHP)?

I am still able to add an image to the /panel/new-york-city/ folder, even though I can't do anything with text in that folder.

Thanks, Eric

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

10 Aug 2022, 01:01

The reason I re-copied files into a working dir, is because we don't even know when the other dir started making errors. Several months ago, I did this same process, but back then we kept both folders (working and non-working). I can't be sure which folder is which. Right now, you have a working folder, and a non-working folder, and you need to make sure you don't start trying to use the non-working folder ... What did you do with the one from last time? Did you eventually delete it? It's important to avoid confusion between dirs.

sound_and_light wrote:What I don't get is that error message is part of your app, yes?
It is, and I have looked at this earlier. Basically the script checks what action to take based on posted parameters. This would normally trigger:
Code
// Save page settings
} else if(isset($_POST['page_settings']) && isset($_POST['path'])) { //...
In your case, it is not reading the $_POST options above, and instead ends up on last option where no action is defined.
Code
} else {
  echo '{ "error": "No request parameters?" }';
}
I have even checked the "payload" that is forwarded to server, and the page_settings and path are there. This is some low-level corruption in a folder or folder caused by something you did. This is not something anyone has ever reported, which is unfortunate as it makes it hard to diagnose. This is something with server and/or file changes made on server causing some corruption ... That's why there is no "bug" or no "fix", because from X3, there is nothing that can be fixed. The $_POST is therefore CORRUPTED at some atomic level.

To diagnose even further, I would probably want to do this: Start deleting files in error server. Does it still fail when there are 0 files? Start removing items in page.json .. still fails? At the end, you are left with a naked folder name, and if the flaw is there, it's some files-based server/client read/write corruption which is beyond what X3 can handle. To be honest, it already looks like this is the case.

PS! You might want to disable Settings > Advanced > Store image settings in image as IPTC, as this is normally my first suspect because it edits IPTC in images when you save. The reason I can't see this is currently related, is because the folder works fine when copying all the images into different dir (new-york-city-copy). It would remove variables if you could disable this option though ... It's only useful if you are editing titles and descriptions and later on need to move files into other dirs while retaining the edited titles.

sound_and_light
Experienced
Topic Author

20 Aug 2022, 18:31

Karl,

Thanks for heads up about not starting to work in the #2 folder. I was concerned that might have happened, but when I compared the two folders in FTP, there weren't many differences.  I'm not concerned.

What I don't get is why this only happened on my two biggest folders. The two biggest, by far. To my knowledge, no small folders have had or caused this. And they don't start out broken. Something is happening along the way that I haven't been able to catch. And all my attempts to break your NYC-2 folder have failed!

***Good news!! I turned off that IPTC setting and my new-york-city folder is saving text again.  Like magic!***

I'm still on PHP 5.6 at my host.  They can go up to v.7.4, but as we ran into some other issue in the past I'm reluctant to upgrade.  Thoughts?

Thanks for sticking with this.  Hopefully, this issue is behind us.  I plan to remove your NYC-2 test folder.

Eric

sound_and_light
Experienced
Topic Author

20 Aug 2022, 19:38

If that setting was making any folders so that text couldn't be changed successfully, it's odd that I'd be the only
one with this problem.  Maybe it's PHPv5.6 and that setting?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

21 Aug 2022, 01:11

sound_and_light wrote:What I don't get is why this only happened on my two biggest folders. The two biggest, by far. To my knowledge, no small folders have had or caused this. And they don't start out broken. Something is happening along the way that I haven't been able to catch. And all my attempts to break your NYC-2 folder have failed!
Indeed something is happening along the way, almost certainly related to IPTC meta data stored in images. It's not specifically related to the size of the folder.
sound_and_light wrote:***Good news!! I turned off that IPTC setting and my new-york-city folder is saving text again.  Like magic!***
Good. The reason I suggested this, was because there is something wrong related to storing/reading IPTC data on one of your images. Indeed it could also be related to PHP version. With this option disabled, you avoid messing around with IPTC. The only disadvantage, is that if you save new titles/descriptions and later on move images to a new folder, they will loose their title/description, because it is not stored inside the image as IPTC.
sound_and_light wrote:I'm still on PHP 5.6 at my host.  They can go up to v.7.4, but as we ran into some other issue in the past I'm reluctant to upgrade.  Thoughts?
I can't remember what that issue was, but it seemed like one problem with that specific PHP version. You could check if your host now supports PHP8, which has been available almost two years. Keep in mind, the only reason you would want (or need) to do this, is if you wanted to re-enable "save to IPTC", which is not strictly required ... and even then, you probably wouldn't find out if this solves the original issue, unless the issue never ever re-occurs.
sound_and_light wrote: If that setting was making any folders so that text couldn't be changed successfully, it's odd that I'd be the only
one with this problem.  Maybe it's PHPv5.6 and that setting?
Yes it could definitely be PHP-related, but it's almost certainly also related to one (or more) images with some characters in the IPTC that are causing trouble. Later PHP versions definitely are known to have better character encoding/decoding support, so it could easily be related.