Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

Does X3 have a wrapper of some sort?

20 Feb 2022, 17:47

I have an About Me page that I wrote in HTML about 10-15 years ago, and which with very-little modification has worked on many sites over the years.  The link takes you to that page on an external website, and shows basically how I would like that page to display.  That page consists of almost 700 lines of HTML code.

I tried to paste that code into a new page on my X3 website, but what X3 displayed was a total mess :thinking:.  After spending a couple of days experimenting & modifying hundreds of lines of code, THIS is the best (so far) that I have come up with for my X3 website to display the code.  The tables (grey areas) don't look anything like the tables on my external site.

That same About Me page at the beginning of this thread, which you can see again HERE , is also displayed on another of my websites HERE with almost no coding changes except for the picture locations.

10+ years ago, the CMS (phpFusion) that I used at that time (and still use today) had something called a "wrapper" add-on, which enabled external web pages to be displayed within phpFusion, as if those external pages were local within phpFusion.

Does X3 have something similar?  I would like to display an About Me page using almost the identical code with almost no coding changes except for the picture locations, but have it displayed as if it is on my X3 websitem, with the menu bar at the top & the footer at the bottom, etc.

Is that doable?

Thanks in advance,
John
Self-hosted using Abyss Web Server:   AuroraWings.me   |   GalleryWings.com   |   PanAurora-Studio.com   |
Externally-hosted using LiteSpeed/Apache Web Server:   GenealogyWings.com/galleries   |

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Does X3 have a wrapper of some sort?

20 Feb 2022, 21:40

To be honest, I can't see much difference between the html version and the X3 version, except the table is formatted differently ... and that is bound to happen when you simply drop html+tables into any predesigned website. Obvious suggestion from any "web designer" (and how I would approach it myself), if you want a custom style for your table (which is after all what you have on your original page), is to create some custom CSS for your table in Settings > Custom > Custom CSS.

In X3, anything you add will obviopusly inherit font styles colors and more subtle styles, and at the same time obviously be limited within the width of the content section (which is normally limited to make it natural reading width for visitors).
JMM wrote:10+ years ago, the CMS (phpFusion) that I used at that time (and still use today) had something called a "wrapper" add-on, which enabled external web pages to be displayed within phpFusion, as if those external pages were local within phpFusion.
Sounds like <iframe>, since there is no other way to display an external website/page within another, while keeping both website styles entirely independent.

Something like this:
Code
<iframe src="path/to/aboutjohn.php" width="100%" height="500px"></iframe>
This is not considered best practice, because normally you would not want to keep styles consistent instead of displaying different fonts and colors. Besides, you would need to figure out HEIGHT because it can't just sccale the iframe height to cover the height of the website within the iframe.

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

20 Feb 2022, 21:48

Nah... I'm a retired old geezer, who can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago or what I need to next  :thinking:.  In other words, much too old to learn CSS.

Thanks anyway, but I'll just stick with my external page that I already have, especially seeing how there might be only 1 person a year that looks at that page... if even that.

Have a great day, Sir.
Self-hosted using Abyss Web Server:   AuroraWings.me   |   GalleryWings.com   |   PanAurora-Studio.com   |
Externally-hosted using LiteSpeed/Apache Web Server:   GenealogyWings.com/galleries   |

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Feb 2022, 23:14

There are other options which might work nicely to display an "external" page.
https://demo.photo.gallery/examples/plugins/popup/

1. In the link above, scroll down to "Website" and click the "website" demo link. With this, you keep the visitor on the same page, while the website opens inside a popup.
2. Optionally, scroll down "Browser Popup Window" and try that.

The above can be assigned for the menu or directly in content.

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

21 Feb 2022, 00:10

PFM  :sunglasses:.  I used the example with the wider width, thanks.

One question: How can I assign it to the menu, as opposed to the content?  So if someone selects About Me from my About menu at the top of MY SITE, that pop-up appears?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

21 Feb 2022, 04:57

Create a new placeholder page for the menu, navigate to the page's "LINK", insert link and set link target to "popup window" or "X3 popup".

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

21 Feb 2022, 05:09

Again... PFM.  It works perfectly.  Thank you, Sir.