X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

cURL problem trying to install X3

09 Feb 2022, 19:37

Good morning, Karl.

A couple of years ago, I tried to install X3 with the install script on my home server, and got just a blank screen.

The past 6 or so months, I could install X3 fine on my sites that are hosted externally.  However, in the last 12 hours I've been trying again to install X3 on my home server again, and although not getting a blank screen at this time, I get the following error:

After the above error, I downloaded the full package, unzipped it on my internal website, got into panel/, changed my password & could get in to Manage & see the folders & images, etc.  But when I went to the site itself, I got main page fine, but when I tried to go into any of the Galleries, they were not found.

I have left the X3 install script on my site, in case if you run it from your browser, you may be able to see where the problem might be:

Here's my phpinfo, incase you find anything missing.

Thanks in advance.

John
Self-hosted using Abyss Web Server:   AuroraWings.me   |   GalleryWings.com   |   PanAurora-Studio.com   |
Externally-hosted using LiteSpeed/Apache Web Server:   GenealogyWings.com/galleries   |

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: cURL problem trying to install X3

09 Feb 2022, 23:33

JMM wrote:I have left the X3 install script on my site, in case if you run it from your browser, you may be able to see where the problem might be:
Unfortunately, if cURL does not work, it does not work. In this case, it's likely that your server or hosting service is blocking EXTERNAL cURL requests (which is not entirely unusual) for security reasons. That's why it gets as far as attempting (because cURL exists), but it simply fails to download an external url.
JMM wrote:After the above error, I downloaded the full package, unzipped it on my internal website, got into panel/, changed my password & could get in to Manage & see the folders & images, etc.  But when I went to the site itself, I got main page fine, but when I tried to go into any of the Galleries, they were not found.
Do you have this installed anywhere that I can look? When you install new X3 page, you will initially see diagnostics output until you disable it. If you saw the main page, you must have edited some settings already. The diagnostics tool will show and try to fix any problems ... In this case, I am guessing you might have missed the ".htaccess" file, which is invisible in some file managers (because it starts with .dot), and which handles url-rewriting for X3 child pages. This file gets created from diagnostics, which also might change "rewriteBase" if it detects that your server requires it.

It's definitely a solution to just download zip, but all X3 installations should always run diagnostics after install.

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

10 Feb 2022, 03:12

I just installed the full package again just now, and changed the login credentials to eliminate that entry on the diagnostics page.  The last entry, of course, makes sense, as my software hasn't ben tested with X3, so I just ignore it for now.

My Diagnostics page does have a Deprecated error at the top, and I also don't know how to hide the /config folder from the public in Windoze.

I'm running PHP version 8.1.0, if that helps.
Self-hosted using Abyss Web Server:   AuroraWings.me   |   GalleryWings.com   |   PanAurora-Studio.com   |
Externally-hosted using LiteSpeed/Apache Web Server:   GenealogyWings.com/galleries   |

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

10 Feb 2022, 04:39

I have never heard of "Abyss" web server, but apparently it does not support .htaccess where "rewrite" rules are defined. The X3 rewrite rules are responsible for rewriting URL's so that /some/page/ will internally redirect to X3's index.php, which in turn handles the routing. This is necessary in ALL dynamic PHP web applications. Nginx server does not support .htaccess either, but I have a sample of how to configure X3 for Nginx ... Maybe Abyss is similar?
https://gist.github.com/mjau-mjau/6dc19 ... e566a8457b

In either case, this needs to be configured. It would of course have been easier for you if you used WAMP or simply Apache in Windows.
JMM wrote:The last entry, of course, makes sense, as my software hasn't ben tested with X3, so I just ignore it for now.
True. Actually, X3 cannot diagnose your server because we don't know what's working and what's not. It can diagnose PHP-functions, but not server-specific issues like "rewrite".
JMM wrote: My Diagnostics page does have a Deprecated error at the top, and I also don't know how to hide the /config folder from the public in Windoze.

I'm running PHP version 8.1.0, if that helps.
The "deprecated" notification is a combination of your server having "display all warnings" enabled, and that you are using PHP 8.1.0. You need to disable show all warnings (as it's just a "deprecated" warning) OR downgrade to PHP 8.0 to remove these warning messages.