X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Buchberg
Experienced
Topic Author

Webhost died and I can't seem to get the site running properly on new webhost

04 Oct 2021, 02:59

Hello.
My webhost closed and I have been unable to migrate my current install of ImagevueX3. I had to resort to a really old backup (from 2016).
I get all sorts of errors displaying images, and my control panel does not load.

It has been a LONG LONG time since I last had to do any serverside operations, and I'm afraid my skills have deteriorated drastically.

Is there a way to fix the current installation or if that fails, a way to install the whole imagevuex3 on top of the old without deleting stuff in my galleries?

Thank you in advance for any help you may provide.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Webhost died and I can't seem to get the site running properly on new webhost

04 Oct 2021, 05:19

Hi. If you could provide a link, I could easily do some basic diagnostics to understand what might be wrong. The first thing I would do, is check your X3 website ?diagnostics, which will display most obvious issues.
https://demo.photo.gallery/?diagnostics

As for migrating to a new server, did you copy hidden .htaccess file? Was that file edited for your previous host (RewriteBase)? When you migrated everything, are write permissions correct for necessary directories (eg. /render/ and /cache/ etc). Several things could go wrong, although essentially, it would work to just copy all files over.

If you asked me up front, I would probably recommend this approach: 1. First install new/empty X3 on new server, and make sure it's working, then 2. Delete /config/ and /content/ and copy over those two dirs from your existing X3. Those two dirs are essentially the only two directories that contain your website ... The other files are X3 application files.

I need more info and link if I am to assist further.

Buchberg
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Webhost died and I can't seem to get the site running properly on new webhost

04 Oct 2021, 05:51

Hi!
Thank you for the super fast reply.
The site is at baka.dk. The previous web host simply died, and I had no way of getting it migrated. So I resorted to an old backup. I am certain that chmods are NOT correct. Do you have a "list" of what permissions to give folders?
Thank you again for helping. 😊

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

04 Oct 2021, 10:54

I checked your website, and as far as I can see, it's working except one thing:  Image resizer causes an error. The problem here is that you are using an OLD version of X3, and a NEW version of PHP, which is causing the bug. When we release new X3 versions, we also fix compatibility with newer PHP versions. So basically, you need to update your X3 OR you need downgrade your PHP version (7.0 or 7.1) ... Upgrading X3 would definitely be recommended.
https://www.photo.gallery/docs/help/updating/
* Since you are using a very old X3 version, you would need to download and run the updater.php manually or update manually via the update ZIP.

You have a few other "warnings" in your baka.dk/?diagnostics, but I don't think they are causing any issues for X3.

Buchberg
Experienced
Topic Author

06 Oct 2021, 03:35

That resolved my problem. Thank you!