Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

realbosselarsson
Topic Author

No thumbnails generated

04 Sep 2021, 15:30

I'm experimenting with two galleries, they are on different domains but on the same server, so the server settings should be the same.
Yesterday I uploaded a bunch of images to one of them, and it worked fine.
Today I started with the other one, and I can upload, however no thumbnails are generated but the "large" file is there, both in the admin section and on the actual page.

I checked all the settings I could find and they are the same on both pages.
I also checked uploading the same image to the other page and it still worked.
I tried on the phone as well to make sure it was not a cache thing.

Any ideas?

Kind Regards
Alex
Kind Regards
Alex

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: No thumbnails generated

05 Sep 2021, 01:04

Hi Alex,

I could probably figure this out easily if you have a link for me (send PM if you don't want to share public), but I can't possibly guess from a screenshot. Although it's the same server, almost certainly it's a setting as they may vary across different domains.

You can probably diagnose yourself by right-clicking the image that fails to load, and "open in new tab". The output would give more clues.

realbosselarsson
Topic Author

05 Sep 2021, 04:56

Thanks, I found it.
Nothing to do with the server it seems.

When checking the link as you said, I did see the image as it was the full size one that was shown. But I noticed that it had a colon in the url.
Code
/Things-I-made/Pedals/Inspired-by:-OD-808/#pid=w_IMG_4292_.jpg
I'm guessing the colon breaks things for the thumbnail but not for the full size.
When I made a new album like:
Code
/Things-I-made/Pedals/Inspired-by-OD-808
and just had the Page Title and Menu Label contain the colon it worked just fine.

Not a complaint, more like a thought.
There is a warning when leaving a space in there but not for the colon, and not for special chars like åäö.
On the other hand, I just read the Question mark and there is a warning about these characters (that I did not read before):
Code
#$%^&*()+=[]'"/\|{}`~!@
Anyway, I should have known not to use special characters in the url. I was just copy pasting the titles from my old gallery.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Kind Regards
Alex

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

05 Sep 2021, 06:38

realbosselarsson wrote:I'm guessing the colon breaks things for the thumbnail but not for the full size.
Yes, that would explain it, because we used to used ":" in resizer urls.
realbosselarsson wrote:There is a warning when leaving a space in there but not for the colon
Yes, it should probably be blocked. There are many unsupported characters in URL's, and : would need to get encoded to "%3A". In general, one should avoid characters that get encoded, becauqse technically, they are not url-friendly.
realbosselarsson wrote:and not for special chars like åäö.
That's because all language characters generally ARE supported, and it's entirely legal to make a folder name /åäö/ because this is normal (and required) in many languages. It's just certain special characters that convey special meaning in reference to URL's that should be avoided.

Good job!