Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Joseph_balson
Experienced
Topic Author

RSS feed

17 Mar 2021, 20:03

I was using koken to publish various RSS feeds in RSS2 format, that pinterest could read to automatically put photos in boards.

Seems I can't do the same with X3: pinterest can't read ATOM, and I can't find any other RSS option like including galleries content.

Is there a solution?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: RSS feed

18 Mar 2021, 00:24

As you may have noticed, X3 creates a base XML feed located in /feed/ and /feed.xml, but that's basically for your "pages" and not images. X3 is not currently capable of creating feeds on a per-page basis, that cater to images. You are asking for an automated feed for images in each specific page/gallery? Or do you need to create some kinda custom feed that does not include all images in a gallery?

What "options" are you looking for? You happen to have an example of Koken feed? I could only find a reference to an external website www.koken.be/rss.

Something to consider. In the meantime, there is no solution except for creating your own RSS files and uploading them into appropriate locations. There might be available tools for this, even PHP scripts, but nothing that is currently part of X3.

Joseph_balson
Experienced
Topic Author

18 Mar 2021, 03:36

Since my koken install is dead (or I wouldn't be here) I have no exemple.

I could just do whatever I wanted: koken could create an RSS for any page,album, nested albums, timeline etc. 
I used it in a simple was: anytime I uploaded a photo or batch of photos with lightroom, koken created or updated the corresponding RSS.in any folder I wanted it to. Then pinterest automatically parsed that RSS and created the needed pins in the corresponding board.

As it is, the atom basic feed X3 produces can't even be read by pinterest.

I'm not going to create rss files: that's tedious and would take too much time. 

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Mar 2021, 04:39

Joseph_balson wrote:I could just do whatever I wanted: koken could create an RSS for any page,album, nested albums, timeline etc. 
I used it in a simple was: anytime I uploaded a photo or batch of photos with lightroom, koken created or updated the corresponding RSS.in any folder I wanted it to. Then pinterest automatically parsed that RSS and created the needed pins in the corresponding board.
In your original post, you mentioned "various RSS feeds", and therefore I assume you had some controls for it, and could adjust exactly which photos appear in it, and that there maybe was some "publish" function that you had to click. If as stated above it's simply an RSS feed for the page's images, you wouldn't need any options for this, and neither would there be need for a "publish" action. X3 would simply create and maintain an RSS feed for each page, that contains the images.
Joseph_balson wrote:As it is, the atom basic feed X3 produces can't even be read by pinterest.
That's because it's a standardized RSS feed meant for browsers and newsreaders to be able to read your website PAGES, and get notified about new pages or changes. It's pretty standard, especially across news/blog websites, but it's not meant for images, and there's no reason Pinterest would use this.

I'll add it to my list.

Joseph_balson
Experienced
Topic Author

18 Mar 2021, 05:15

In your original post, you mentioned "various RSS feeds", and therefore I assume you had some controls for it, and could adjust exactly which photos appear in it, and that there maybe was some "publish" function that you had to click. If as stated above it's simply an RSS feed for the page's images, you wouldn't need any options for this, and neither would there be need for a "publish" action. X3 would simply create and maintain an RSS feed for each page, that contains the images.
Yes, koken automatically created different RSS feeds based on the content I wanted it to publish, like an RSS automatically updated for all articles with the category "macro", or one for any new photo uploaded with the keyword "cat", or one for any new photo uploaded with the category "street photo", etc... I had dozen of different RSS for different uses, people could follow the topic they like, and pinterest automatically added the photos to any board corresponding. I could exclude/include content in the RSS based on filters.

I didn't have to click on anything beside the initial settings. I uploaded images in lightroom, and that was it. Based on keywords and folders, each image was sent into the right webpage and the rss were updated accordingly.

Makes me sad that the actual best alternative to koken is so far behind in a lot of aspects. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising X3: I appreciate the work you're putting in X3 and your insane fast reactivity: X3 is far ahead on any current competitor and I totally get the philosophy behind it: it is just perfect for the intended buyers. Just not for me.

BUT for people like me, it really just is a lesser evil. I'm still looking for another option closer to koken functionalities. That just doesn't exist. Lot of themes for the blogging thing: they all suck whatever the price, a few open sources outdated options that in the end don't offer what I need, one paying option with no demo or refund, and a few commercial option that don't do much more than X3. Nothing seems to offers the versatility and huge set of options and functionalities koken offered. I'm so angry at the devs for abandoning it, and locking the source code so no one can rewrite it for PHP8. There are few miserable attempts at fixing it for PHP 7.4, but koken used some weird customized codeigniter framework, and their code is definitely shitty. 

Seems I'm gonna have top make X3 do. At least some of my photos are online.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Mar 2021, 07:46

Joseph_balson wrote:Yes, koken automatically created different RSS feeds based on the content I wanted it to publish, like an RSS automatically updated for all articles with the category "macro", or one for any new photo uploaded with the keyword "cat", or one for any new photo uploaded with the category "street photo", etc... I had dozen of different RSS for different uses, people could follow the topic they like, and pinterest automatically added the photos to any board corresponding. I could exclude/include content in the RSS based on filters.
So that means there was some controls where you had to setup search features for each RSS feed. Updated automatically, but each feed would have to get created manually of course.

Since X3 does not use tags or "search", so this would not be possible as of yet even with RSS image integration.
Joseph_balson wrote:Makes me sad that the actual best alternative to koken is so far behind in a lot of aspects. Don't get me wrong, I'm not [/size]criticising X3: I appreciate the work you're putting in X3 and your insane fast reactivity: X3 is far ahead on any current competitor and I totally get the philosophy behind it: it is just perfect for the intended buyers. Just not for me.

Yes, and you already have stated this in another post, and there is nothing I can add to your reaction here.

In your opinion, with control of your website from a "photographers" perspective using Lightroom. From our perspective, X3 was created for the visitor, with more advanced and flexible layouts, and so much faster user navigation, especially on images. In my perspective, the visitors experience will always be the main target.

Joseph_balson wrote:BUT for people like me, it really just is a lesser evil ...

I'm reading all your comments, and it might help sway future development of X3 (or X4), but I can't really provide you with much valuable feedback. Koken died because it probably wasn't worth the effort in the long run (which I can easily understand). Why some company chose to buy Koken, and then do nothing about it, I have no idea.

Joseph_balson
Experienced
Topic Author

18 Mar 2021, 09:14

Well you already fixed the main issues I had with X3 and I found by myself a few ways to emulate koken behavior.
I can't complain and I'm glad I found X3. It's just you know, all the little things. 

Making the visitor experience the main target is good. I'm sure the future will bring the functions that would make the paying visitor (I have in mind the guy who buys licences) experience better: like keywords management and search.

That is really what I'd be glad to pay for: keyword management, and a taylored LR plugin. And I think a lot of koken users would too.

In the meantime, even if I look a bit not happy with X3, I'm still recommending it actively to everyone (especially some koken users in despair).

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Mar 2021, 22:13

Thanks for all the feedback. Feel free to keep it coming!