Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

SEO-problem: nothing is found

17 Feb 2021, 08:03

how long does it for google etc take to find a page? however, although I have since a while followed advises and filled titles, still nothing is found. some examples: this portrait bears the name of the person in the filename, the title and in the description and is still not found. even worse: about this man there is a whole page with some images, all with his name in title and description, but if you search for his name you find my images an quite a few places, but not on my own site. what am I still doing wrong? thank you!

metallissimus
Experienced

Re: SEO-problem: nothing is found

17 Feb 2021, 09:14

You can find out if google has indexed certain parts of your website by searching "keyword site:https://architekturfoto.de".  I checked that with Flusser and it seems like it's all indexed. However, being indexed doesn't necessarily result in a good ranking. There are a ton of factors being considered for the ranking (to get an idea have a look at https://backlinko.com/google-ranking-factors – but take the title with a grain of salt).

SEO is a huge topic and an ongoing process that never ends (which is why although I know some basics, I can't give you a lot of advice). There's a lot of (partly free) SEO tools out there, that can help you understand your ranking better and give tipps. For example check out https://www.seobility.net/de/ or https://app.neilpatel.com/ There's also SEO dedicated groups on facebook, if you are there.

If this is really important  to you and you don't want to learn it yourself, consider hiring a professional.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

17 Feb 2021, 09:22

it is not REALLY important to me, but I was just wondering why these specific searches do not show ANY result, not even at the very bottom of the pictures page. if I google "keyword site:https://architekturfoto.de" there is also NOTHING found.
seo.JPG
seo.JPG (38.52 KiB) Viewed 9025 times

metallissimus
Experienced

17 Feb 2021, 10:37

"keyword" was just a placeholder, replace it with the word in question, for example Flusser.

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

17 Feb 2021, 11:31

ok. with flusser google images still finds no image of that man. with "nieweg" no image, nothing at all. I am probably just too stupid ...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

17 Feb 2021, 23:17

A few questions here, not all of them entirely related. To get straight to the point, I think you are overestimating the ability of Google search indexing and the "presence" of your website, which is likely ranked very low in terms of priority. How new is your website? I believe your X3 pages are quite new (which makes a huge difference). And how old is the domain/website itself? Did you have the same/similar content before?
ed_f wrote:however, although I have since a while followed advises and filled titles, still nothing is found. some examples: this portrait bears the name of the person in the filename, the title and in the description and is still not found.
This is an image. You have what, maybe 1000's of images? It's unlikely Google will index your images as you might expect. Your website has a certain amount of Google "juice", and Google will priortize top level pages instead of watering out all your SEO across 1000s of elements. For starters, it's unrealistic to consider your images as SEO targets.
ed_f wrote:even worse: about this man there is a whole page with some images, all with his name in title and description, but if you search for his name you find my images an quite a few places, but not on my own site. what am I still doing wrong? thank you!
This page is how new? I see it was updated only a few days ago. Also, sorry to carry this news, but it's likely your website has zero rank relative to other websites with the same topic.

So a search for "Vilem flusser" shows the below. Why not? That page might have been there a long time, and it's ranked higher, and the page itself contains a lot of info on the subject.

Searching your pages specifically. You can see the result is clearly indexed (#3). You also have other pages with the same topic, and those pages have been there longer, and will likely rank higher. Why you have x3.architekturfoto if you want to consolidate your SEO towards a single target?
So considering the above, clearly pages are indexed. However, it is unlikely they bear much weight unless you include "architekturfoto.de" or your name in the search.

Google is not an "index" that will simply index whatever you want. It will index stuff that it finds useful for people who search, and it will prioritize from RANK of websites which is based on tons of metrics. Finding images is unrealistic, as they won't even normally display in plain google search. Finding pages, all your pages should be there, but NEW pages on low-ranked websites, will likely require that you include the site name or your own name in the search. Also, your pages are NEW and don't really contain a lot of info on the subjects (SEO is mainly based on written content on the page).

So considering your website is new, your domain ranks relativelylow, your pages are recently created, you have some duplicates, then you can't expect to be high in search unless you specifically search for the pages on your website or under your name.
ed_f wrote:"keyword" was just a placeholder, replace it with the word in question, for example Flusser.
Definitely shows results from your website, with many pages competing for the same phrase:
ed_f wrote:what am I still doing wrong? thank you!
Nothing much. Always room for improvement, but even if you maximize SEO from the inside, your SEO will always depend on things you can't control. How new is your website? How new is your pages? How new is your domain? How extensive is the text content you wrote about the searched phrase? How many daily visitors do you have that consume the info on your pages? How much "buzz" have you created by linking to your pages from social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc)? How many high-ranking pages link to your website? These are the most important SEO factors, and unfortunately, like "most" private websites, you will rank quite low. Without including your specific website url, it's unrealistic to expect pages to show up in search, unless there are no other websites that cover the topic.

Some thoughts:
  • Why so many url's that link to the same subject? How is Google supposed to sort them if none of them stand out? Why do you have duplicate x3.architekturfoto.de subdomain?
  • Title <title>vilém flusser</title> could easily be longer. What about him?
  • Your page /themen/flusser/ contains very little text on the subject. Unless your page has more on-topic info, how would it stand out>
  • Not important, but why description contains keywords? <meta name="description" content="vilém flusser symposium symposion fh bielefeld gottfried jäger elfie fröhlich">. It will be ignored by Google, because it's not written for humans.
  • To improve your chances of ranking higher amongst other websites, your pages need to remain consistent over a period of time, not compete against pages on the same website, and you need to get visitors from links on other websites and from social media.
Until then, you should expect your pages to get indexed, but perhaps only with very specific searches, narrowing the search down to your own website. Over time, when/if SEO improves, your pages will gain traction.

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

18 Feb 2021, 05:11

thanks for patiently pulling me down to earth ;-) just to let you know: I use this domain since at least 2 dozen years, with flusser-images since one dozen. the subdomain was only used in the period of transition from my old (koken)site.

what is really surprising news to me, is that google (still a machine, but obviously better conditioned than I thought) reacts more to phrases than to words.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Feb 2021, 05:28

ed_f wrote:I use this domain since at least 2 dozen years
Then your domain will benefit, although "age" is just a small factor in SEO ranking.
ed_f wrote:what is really surprising news to me, is that google (still a machine, but obviously better conditioned than I thought) reacts more to phrases than to words.
Google is the biggest company on earth, thanks to their search-engine, which could be the smartest AI on earth. They maintain this search engine to best suit HUMANS (else humans would not use it). So what's the best way to display the best search results for humans? That's for google to consider what humans actually see and read on the website, and how relevant it is. It's a long time ago that Google moved away from "keywords", because this is of absolutely no benefit to humans. It means a website about cars could add some keywords="ice cream, cake, candy", which is not only invisible to humans, but also totally irrelevant. Google bases it's search data on what humans actually see and read (which makes sense), and of course will quantify the quality based on incoming links from social/websites of similar topics. I'm far from a SEO expert, but I follow the basic ever-changing concepts with interest.

metallissimus
Experienced

18 Feb 2021, 09:13

mjau-mjau wrote:Finding images is unrealistic, as they won't even normally display in plain google search.
I know of colleagues that have extremely successfully pushed their images for google image search. As far as I remember the key to this success was context, meaning you need a lot of interesting and engaging text (on the topic of the images) around them.
This is something I struggle a lot with and why I sometimes hate SEO – I'm a photographer and I want my images to speak for themselves and not have to write novels around them to be noticed by a stupid search engine which only knows how to deal with text. </rant>

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 Feb 2021, 22:54

metallissimus wrote:I know of colleagues that have extremely successfully pushed their images for google image search. As far as I remember the key to this success was context, meaning you need a lot of interesting and engaging text (on the topic of the images) around them.
Sure! But then of course, this is specifically Google image-search (click the image tab in Google). If you are working with SEO on your website, it's important to understand the differences and set realistic targets for pages vs images.
metallissimus wrote:This is something I struggle a lot with and why I sometimes hate SEO – I'm a photographer and I want my images to speak for themselves and not have to write novels around them to be noticed by a stupid search engine which only knows how to deal with  text. </rant>
Indeed. The good news is that this is what Google is working towards, as it wants to rely on text/data that humans read instead of artificial SEO-text which is aimed only to seduce search engines instead of being written for humans. After all, what's the best way for Google to create the best search results for humans? It's to study what humans see, and consider useful it is for humans.

Of course, one would always need to populate as much data as possible in terms of titles, text and image alt="" tags for optimal ON-site SEO. Personally, I'm mostly interested in SEO for photo.gallery and blog posts, in which case titles and descriptions are considered carefully, while page text content speaks for itself. I don't have time or patience for much more SEO beyond that, which moves into OFF-site SEO territory, which is incredibly tedious.

Joseph_balson
Experienced

19 Jun 2021, 13:40

Hi ed_f, metallissimus.

Had the same problem.
After switching from koken I literally lost all my traffic from google image search: a HUGE loss.

The way X3 is made make that individual images don't get indexed and therefore don't show up in google image search. Even after disabling disallow /content/ in the robot.txt.

Should be fixed with the upcoming "fix" in the form of a full sitemap for google, including all individual images.
More reading here: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10250

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

31 Aug 2023, 05:43

I know this is an old post, but I have an update coming in regards to Google Images Sitemap in X3, please read:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10650&p=49984