Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…
 
ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author
Posts: 48
Joined: 20 Dec 2020, 11:24

space in "content" - SEO hint

04 Feb 2021, 12:21

unluckily I do not speak html. more than one space in a row will not display in a "content"-text. how could I achieve that anyhow?

and where ist the best place to insert any SEO-keywords for the page? any hints for doing that - I have never dealt with that topos ... ;-)
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Posts: 12765
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 03:37

Re: space in "content" - SEO hint

04 Feb 2021, 22:23

ed_f wrote:unluckily I do not speak html. more than one space in a row will not display in a "content"-text. how could I achieve that anyhow?
You mean you want additional "space" between text in your content? No you cannot just use "returns" to create empty space, because that basically means nothing. There are many options:

Use <br>'s
Code
text1
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
text2
Use a horizontal line (hr), which often creates a neat spacing effect. You write --- but it will look like the below:


Code
text1

---

text2
For max control, just add an empty html element with required margin:
Code
text1

<div style="margin-bottom: 100px"></div>

text2
ed_f wrote:and where ist the best place to insert any SEO-keywords for the page? any hints for doing that - I have never dealt with that topos ... ;-)
Search engines no longer support "keywords", but you can still add them and adjust other options SEO options under page settings > page > SEO:
Image
 
ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author
Posts: 48
Joined: 20 Dec 2020, 11:24

Re: space in "content" - SEO hint

05 Feb 2021, 05:19

thanks karl! so the SEO has to be made for each "chapter" seperately - any way to reduce that work?

as for spaces I meant these - and not "return"/<b>. like           here ;-)
 
metallissimus
Experienced
Posts: 126
Joined: 17 Oct 2019, 06:54

Re: space in "content" - SEO hint

05 Feb 2021, 05:46

ed_f wrote: as for spaces I meant these - and not "return"/<b>. like           here ;-)
You can add non-breaking spaces with &nbsp; but they are usually for keeping stuff together that should not be broken up into different lines and I think are considered bad practice otherwise.
For me the question is: What exactly do you want to achieve?
 
ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author
Posts: 48
Joined: 20 Dec 2020, 11:24

Re: space in "content" - SEO hint

05 Feb 2021, 05:59

you're probably right and my solution with the underscores _ is not SO bad: https://architekturfoto.de/info/biografie
 
metallissimus
Experienced
Posts: 126
Joined: 17 Oct 2019, 06:54

Re: space in "content" - SEO hint

05 Feb 2021, 06:16

Yeah, it looks kind of artsy, but I think readibility suffers a bit.

Two suggestions:
- Easy way: Make the years bold. This way they are optically seperated from the following text and you don't need extra space.
- More work: Wrap the years in <span> elements and add some custom css:
Code
<span class=margin-right>2020</span>
Code
.margin-right{
  margin-right:2em;
}
By assigning a class instead of using style="margin-right: 2em" you can easily play around with the margin without having to change it manually for every single element.
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Posts: 12765
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 03:37

Re: space in "content" - SEO hint

05 Feb 2021, 10:06

ed_f wrote:as for spaces I meant these - and not "return"/<b>. like           here ;-)
As noted by @metallissimus, you can use nbsp; (non-breaking space), but it should be used sparingly. It's unclear what you want to achieve, it this is often what web-designers will use GRIDS (or COLUMNS) for these days. For example three columns, with space in between, which you can also set to "stack" on smaller screens. There is an example of HTML for columns in the content editor > templates button.
ed_f wrote:thanks karl! so the SEO has to be made for each "chapter" seperately - any way to reduce that work?
No. How would that work? SEO options are OPTIONAL, and you only use them if you need to. Did you click the (?) icon to understand how they work? SEO [TITLE] This is used to populate the document <title></title> tag, which is otherwise always populated by X3 from your normal page title or folder name anyway. You ONLY edit the SEO TITLE if you specifically want it LONGER and/or DIFFERENT than your actual page title which displays for humans ... So if you want a custom <title> tag (which is the most important tag for SEO), it will have to be written by you, else what's the point?

As for [KEYWORDS], forget about it, because it has absolutely no benefit for SEO any more. We only added it, because it doesn't hurt, and because some users demanded it. As for [DESCRIPTION], similar to title, it's already inherited by your page description ... You only popuplate the SEO description if you want it LONGER and/or DIFFERENT from your normal page description ... Furthermore, the description has NO actual effect on SEO ... It's only the designated "text" that will appear below the title when your page shows up in a search on Google. So if you really want something different for SEO's here, you need to write it ... It's already automated.
 
ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author
Posts: 48
Joined: 20 Dec 2020, 11:24

Re: space in "content" - SEO hint

05 Feb 2021, 10:22

I'll stay with my "artsy" (space)solution, not the worst after all.

I only came about SEO while reading other posts here of clients of yours that seem to work a lot on that. would you say looking at my page and the texts included I could as well forget about it?
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Posts: 12765
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 03:37

Re: space in "content" - SEO hint

06 Feb 2021, 00:14

ed_f wrote:I only came about SEO while reading other posts here of clients of yours that seem to work a lot on that. would you say looking at my page and the texts included I could as well forget about it?
Good question. I checked your website, and first of all I see some bad practice ... It seems you are using EMPTY page titles on your pages somehow to hide the titles (perhaps using a single space)? Really, if you don't want to display titles on page, you should HIDE titles (from page > context > items) instead of trying to make them ""(empty). The reason for this, is because the page title will become the default <title></title> tag of your website, which is by far the most important SEO tag.

Before anything else, you should address the above. Because even if you don't want to display titles on page (for humans), they are the default for SEO <title>, and should therefore not be empty.

SEO Title
After the above is resolved, if you are concerned with SEO, this is the one X3 SEO option you might want to spend time with for each and every page. By default, when you create a new page "Architecture", X3 will automatically create the important SEO <title>Architecture</title> for you. That is OK, and is certainly acceptable in terms of SEO. However, <title> attribute can easily be longer (up to 60-70 letters) for maximum SEO benefit ... Therefore, you might want to create an improved SEO title, for example "Buildings and historical architecture from Berlin". In this case, the title on page (visible to humans) will remain "Architecture", while the <title> tag (used by search engines) will become <title>Buildings and historical architecture from Berlin</title>. Essentially this is search engine optimization, because you are allowing a longer, improved snippet available for search engines. On the other hand, if you already have a long page-title "Lillehammer winter olympics gold medalists", you would not need to popuplate the SEO-title, because the page-title is already SEO-optimized. So, if you are conserned with SEO, I would recommend populating the SEO-title, but only if your page-titles are insufficient for SEO, and perhaps only for important page.

SEO Description
Has zero impact on actual search rank in SEO, but decides the text that displays BELOW your link when it shows up in search engines. Just like title, the <meta name="description" content="..."> tag is already populated by X3 from your page description (if you have one). However, your page descriptions might be short (optimized for humans), while the seo-description can easily be up to 170 characters. This option can be used if 1. your page descriptions are too short or you want a different description to show in search and 2. you want to specifically set what text the search engines display below your link. Personally, I might populate this field for important pages if the page-description does not feel sufficient ... but it has no effect on actual SEO.

SEO Keywords
Forget about it. Not used by search engines.
 
ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author
Posts: 48
Joined: 20 Dec 2020, 11:24

Re: space in "content" - SEO hint

06 Feb 2021, 14:36

karl, I had found out that writing <em> into page > title I could achieve what I want: as in the other chapters just a bold version of the typo I want (please look at anything but "aserbaischan"!). now I tried your proposal by first emptying that line in "aserbaidschan" and now there is the wrong typo and the "content" has disappeared - and it does not come back even when I change things to how they were before!
as1.JPG
as1.JPG (57.79 KiB) Viewed 558 times
as2.JPG
as2.JPG (64.87 KiB) Viewed 558 times
I would like to deal with SEO but for me the look of the page is most important - can you help me getting back to where I was?
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Posts: 12765
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 03:37

Re: space in "content" - SEO hint

06 Feb 2021, 22:37

Can you be more specific, like including a link and exactly what's wrong?
ed_f wrote:karl, I had found out that writing <em> into page > title I could achieve what I want:
Regardless of what you are trying to do, this is simply a bad idea. The only thing you achieve with <em> is an empty title, but you are fooling X3 to think it's populated. Furthermore, it causes an orphan tag (missing closing </em> ), which may corrupt the HTML. MOST IMPORTANTLY, if you don't want the title to display, you can correctly hide the title from context settings ... There is no reason to try to hide it with hacks. Of course, this means also means you are getting empty page <title> tags ...
ed_f wrote:as in the other chapters just a bold version of the typo I want (please look at anything but "aserbaischan"!). now I tried your proposal by first emptying that line in "aserbaidschan" and now there is the wrong typo and the "content" has disappeared - and it does not come back even when I change things to how they were before!
as1.JPGas2.JPG
I'm not sure where to look or what is wrong. I checked this page https://architekturfoto.de/orte/aserbaidschan/, and I can't see anything wrong, unless there is some missing content, in which case I would need login to your panel.
ed_f wrote:I would like to deal with SEO but for me the look of the page is most important - can you help me getting back to where I was?
Not sure where you were, but you should NEVER use <em> in title just to make it blank. Just hide it! Furthermore, SEO options do NOT affect the page as it displays to humans ... It only allows you custom control of meta tags (visible to search robots) which may affect SEO.
 
ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author
Posts: 48
Joined: 20 Dec 2020, 11:24

Re: space in "content" - SEO hint

07 Feb 2021, 13:59

... it was the only solution I found out (via try + error) to get the second font to the content (source: "Ubuntu:300|Open+Sans:300;font-weight:lighter"). I would love to follow your advice if I knew how to get that AND a title as it should be (which I do not want in ubuntu, which for me is a headline-font only). and as said, since I tried changing something (at aserbaidschan) I cannot get my content back like it is styled in all other chapters of my site. I could give you my actual password, tell me how!
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Posts: 12765
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 03:37

Re: space in "content" - SEO hint

07 Feb 2021, 22:52

ed_f wrote:... it was the only solution I found out (via try + error) to get the second font to the content (source: "Ubuntu:300|Open+Sans:300;font-weight:lighter").
You should open a separate topic about this. I certainly don't see what it has to do with hiding the title by adding a placeholder non-closed HTML tag inside the page title. I can only answer one issue at a time, and I have explained to you in detail about TITLE.
ed_f wrote:I would love to follow your advice if I knew how to get that AND a title as it should be (which I do not want in ubuntu, which for me is a headline-font only).
Please explain what you want then, preferably in a separate post. Even if you are hiding the TITLE, I already explained in a previous post that there are OTHER ways to HIDE the title, without adding an empty <em> tag, which is a hack. From a website perspective, I don't see any difference between "title" and "headline" ... You have selected this font combination in styles, and styles contain TWO fonts (usually), one for TEXT (page text, paragraphs, buttons etc), and HEADERS (h1, h2, h3). This is a normal approach in web design (and even magazine designe), that you want one font for headers and another for text. But please, a separate topic for this ...
ed_f wrote:and as said, since I tried changing something (at aserbaidschan) I cannot get my content back like it is styled in all other chapters of my site. I could give you my actual password, tell me how!
I see in "context" > items setting on this page, you have "description" (only) ... This means only the description will display (not the content). You need to re-add the "content" item like your other pages. Also, here is where you could have simply REMOVED the "title" item from displaying, without having to add empty <em> tags (which causes problems).
 
ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author
Posts: 48
Joined: 20 Dec 2020, 11:24

Re: space in "content" - SEO hint

08 Feb 2021, 14:00

resolved on my site - AFAIK. ok, karl?
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Posts: 12765
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 03:37

Re: space in "content" - SEO hint

08 Feb 2021, 22:30

:clap: Good job
Code
<title>ralph hinterkeuser fotograf fotografie biografie lebenslauf vita</title>
Just a tip: Google is a VERY smart search engine, and it optimizes search rank for humans. This means you should write your titles for humans also for best SEO performance (Google doesn't not like keyword-stuffing). Also, in the case above, you have repeated words that are for OTHER pages, for example "biographie" ... If someone searches "ralph hinterkeuser biografie", should the /biographie/ page show in search? Or the home page? Ultimately, you are lowering the value for your home page. Also, Google will consider "fotograf" and "fotografie" the same word.

If I was you, I would write something like:
"Ralph Hinterkeuser professional photographer based in ***".

Short and concise, and the location may benefit searches made around your location. You could consider including some of the photography types you focus on, as long as the title is readable to humans. The SEO for your home page is the most important, and I would dare to say that sub-pages have very little impact ... They would only show if someone is specifically searching for you (your name) + TOPIC (biographie, contact or photography project etc). The search would probably identify the correct sub-page, even without adding SEO options, because <title> is already inherited by folder name by default, and it's a subsection of your website.