X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

Distance between title and gallery

27 Jan 2021, 03:29

Hi,

is it possible to reduce the distance between the title and the gallery?
2021-01-27 09_23_40-Willkommmen auf Linsenschuss.de! Die Seite vom Fotografen Dane Vetter, welche si.jpg
2021-01-27 09_23_40-Willkommmen auf Linsenschuss.de! Die Seite vom Fotografen Dane Vetter, welche si.jpg (149.66 KiB) Viewed 4450 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Distance between title and gallery

27 Jan 2021, 03:40

Not from X3 settings no, because we can't include options for this for all elements, as it's essentially part of the CSS stylesheer. You can change it with Custom CSS, but that will affect ALL titles (on all pages), and you need to plan what exactly you want to do ... Do you want more space below the <hr> links? Or above? Or more space below and above?

Just by example, to add some padding below the title, you could add this to Settings > Custom > Custom CSS:
Code
h1.title {
  padding-bottom: 2rem;
}
Many ways to create additional space in style, but there are many things to consider.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

27 Jan 2021, 04:33

Hi Karl

I think I showed it a little wrong. The red arrow in the screenshot shows the area I would like to have smaller. I find that the titles below the space above and below waste a lot of space. Especially when you have no text and only a gallery.
2021-01-27 10_31_40-Galerie.jpg
2021-01-27 10_31_40-Galerie.jpg (78.52 KiB) Viewed 4446 times

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

27 Jan 2021, 04:43

On pages with text in the content, only the space above the titel is tu large. Under the title it fits here. 
2021-01-27 10_41_47-Bildnutzung.jpg
2021-01-27 10_41_47-Bildnutzung.jpg (74 KiB) Viewed 4444 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

27 Jan 2021, 04:55

Dane wrote:The red arrow in the screenshot shows the area I would like to have smaller. I find that the titles below the space above and below waste a lot of space.
Why "waste of space"? You should use as much space as required to keep the layout nice and easy to view for the visitor. Space is a natural part of websites, for the benefit of the viewer, just like it is in magazines and any other media. You are not wasting anything, and I think you are over-thinking good standards.

I can provide CSS, but it's a bad idea. You want to squeeze the title up into the topbar? There needs to be some space, to emphasize the topbar as a separate entity. If you really need, you can try this, but I recommend against it, and can't keep providing unrecommended hacks:
Code
.context {
  margin: -1rem auto 0;
}
For example, why so little space in the layout here? It's choking itself. No air! Nobody has any problems scrolling a page, as that offers as much space as you need to keep the layout functional.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

27 Jan 2021, 05:10

Hi Karl,

thank you for your thoughts about my imagination. And also your explanation why there is so much space. I understand it. Maybe you really are right. I will give it a try with your cutom CSS. My idea here was just because of my home page, so when you first enter you see as much as possible without scrolling. 

Thank you!

For your example. That would certainly have been a future question to you why there is so little space here? It looks so squeezed together. 

metallissimus
Experienced

27 Jan 2021, 05:18

Dane wrote: My idea here was just because of my home page, so when you first enter you see as much as possible without scrolling. 
Why not drop the title completely (at least on the home page)? I don't feel like it's giving me much information anyways and I still can see it highlighted in the menu.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

27 Jan 2021, 05:37

Thanks for the tip. I had not taken that into account at all. But right, there is some redundancy. I'll hide the titles and see how that looks.  Thanks for the advice. 

EDIT: In the mobile view, there is no highlighted menu.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

27 Jan 2021, 20:31

I forgot to mention, if you change the CSS, it might not look nice on mobile ... you would have to consider all scenarios.
Dane wrote:For your example. That would certainly have been a future question to you why there is so little space here? It looks so squeezed together.
You are using "columns" layout, and the space between each item is decided by the columns "space" option. Personally, I think you have too much text in your captions for such a non-uniform layout ... If you are including that much text, surely your aim is that you want visitors to read it before clicking each image? You could for example assign titles to display on mouse HOVER using TOOLTIP. My personal favorite for layouts with lots of text would be a normal vertical layout with "split" so that text appears on the right (see demo).

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

28 Jan 2021, 02:21

Hi Karl,

yes you are right. It looks not really good in mobile with the custom css. At the moment I have disabled the titles on the relevant pages. I also like it because it is illuminated in the menu above. In the mobile view there is no menu, so I find it again not so optimal. I don't really know what is good or bad. 

In the mobile view there is no menu, so I find it again not so optimal. I don't really know what is good or bad. 

Thanks for the tip, I'll try out the vertical layout with "split" on opportunity. Maybe I like that better. 

metallissimus
Experienced

28 Jan 2021, 05:58

Dane wrote: I also like it because it is illuminated in the menu above. In the mobile view there is no menu, so I find it again not so optimal. I don't really know what is good or bad.
You could hide the titles only on large screens with some custom CSS using media queries.

I personally find titles overrated except for any page I might land on coming from outside of your website. If I already am on your site and click on a link, I know what I clicked on and don't need a reminder on top of the screen. But that's just my opinion, there might be good arguments against this.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try out the vertical layout with "split" on opportunity. Maybe I like that better. 
I just had a look at your site. I think it's great, a lot cleaner than before.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

28 Jan 2021, 06:31

I can certainly understand your opinion. Basically, I see it exactly the same way now. It is actually clear on which side you are and does not really need an extra mention which takes away space. 

I find the new view with vertical layout with "split" actually very good and clean and tidy. The only thing that bothers me a little bit is the amount of empty space in it, and that you have to scroll a lot. Previously you saw more photos, and you could rather choose one you like and then read the text. 

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

28 Jan 2021, 07:39

Dane wrote:I find the new view with vertical layout with "split" actually very good and clean and tidy. The only thing that bothers me a little bit is the amount of empty space in it, and that you have to scroll a lot. Previously you saw more photos, and you could rather choose one you like and then read the text.
It's clean and tidy because of the white space, and you can't have both clean/tidy and cramped layout at the same time. It seems pointless to try to squeeze everything into the visible part of the page when it affects clarity and readability. In my opinion, you are underestimating the power of "white space" and "scroll", which is by far the easiest and most functional way for users to navigate and view the content of a page.
https://blog.prototypr.io/importance-of ... 40c0e65bfd

For vertical layout, if you can for example get TWO items partially visible (on medium-to-large screens) on page load, it will be easy and elegant for the visitor to view content and scroll through, without any confusion.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

28 Jan 2021, 08:06

Thank you for the explanation and the link. This topic is for me completly new. And I haven't really dealt with that yet. 

I'm going to leave it like that and let myself get used to it a little bit. 

Thank you both!