Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

metallissimus
Experienced
Topic Author

Moving to a subdomain

20 Jan 2021, 11:39

I want to move my X3 installation from www.danielbollinger.de to hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de to make room for something new. I think I can handle the actual move (in fact at first I want to duplicate the site) with the instructions from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=10023

To not jeopardize my google ranking I think I have to set up 301 redirects to the new paths after that. I'm a little concerned about messing that up, because there are some other folders on my webspace I still want to be able to access via their current URL. Would you be able to help with that and if so, what information do you need? I assume the actual folder structure on my webspace would be useful, but I don't know if it's secure to share this publicly.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Moving to a subdomain

20 Jan 2021, 23:49

Basically you want to redirect X3-requests from danielbollinger.de/* to hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de/* right? That itself would not be too difficult, but it becomes more complicated if you want to ignore redirecting some requests on your domain that went to none-X3 locations. Also, surely you won't be redirecting the index (home) page? Lots of conditions.

I'm sure it can be done, but you would need a solid plan first. I'm not that knowledgeable about htaccess redirects myself, and if it becomes complex, one may need to ask for example on stackoverflow.com.

metallissimus
Experienced
Topic Author

21 Jan 2021, 06:15

mjau-mjau wrote: Basically you want to redirect X3-requests from danielbollinger.de/* to hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de/* right?
This would be achieved by the following, wouldn't it?
Code
Redirect 301 / https://hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de
I am aware this does redirect the root, too, but for the time being that's ok. I believe as soon as google knows the new URL, I can simply delete the old content and the redirects and set up the new site there.

About the exception: I'm just gonna move my /downloads folder with the X3 installation, so it will still work.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

21 Jan 2021, 07:14

metallissimus wrote:This would be achieved by the following, wouldn't it?
Code
Redirect 301 / https://hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de
Have you tested that this also redirect with paths intact? For example, you also want danielbollinger.de/folder/ to redirect to hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de/folder/ no? That should be your target in terms of SEO at least.
metallissimus wrote:I am aware this does redirect the root, too, but for the time being that's ok. I believe as soon as google knows the new URL, I can simply delete the old content and the redirects and set up the new site there.
Of course, but I assumed you wanted to place some new content/website in root danielbollinger.de. With the rule above, you would always be redirecting danielbollinger.de to hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de, so it would not be possible to access the new root. Assuming this is your plan ...

After some time, I believe Google will pickup on all the redirects yes. Also, the links in the "new" website will all be pointing to hochzeiten.*, so Google will start placing weight on the new links instead of the old links that don't technically exist any more. So I guess, by simply redirecting root, Google will also re-index urls, and remove ones that don't exist any more.

metallissimus
Experienced
Topic Author

21 Jan 2021, 07:55

mjau-mjau wrote: Have you tested that this also redirect with paths intact? For example, you also want danielbollinger.de/folder/ to redirect to hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de/folder/ no? That should be your target in terms of SEO at least.
I am still planning, but I will make sure to test that.
but I assumed you wanted to place some new content/website in root danielbollinger.de.
I want, but this can wait a while until google has picked up on the move.