Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

filenames with spaces instead of hyphens, please!?

06 Jan 2021, 12:06

I have many filenames with spaces instead of hyphens, but when I rename a file in our panel here it puts a hyphen into. how can I avoid this?

and btw (I never did this so maybe another stupid question) where and how do I most easily (and if possible without re-saving an already existing jpeg) give an image a "title" or "description" that I could make visible in the gallery-popup?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: filenames with spaces instead of hyphens, please!?

07 Jan 2021, 00:30

ed_f wrote:I have many filenames with spaces instead of hyphens, but when I rename a file in our panel here it puts a hyphen into. how can I avoid this?
May I ask, why are you trying to avoid that? Most things in X3 are done for a good reason. Empty spaces should not be used in filenames, especially on the web, because it create's URL's like this: "some%20folder/sub%20folder/some%20image.jpg" as opposed to what is best practice and much better for visitors: "some-folder/sub-folder/some-image.jpg". What happens when you need to share an URL in email "http://website.com/some folder/some image.jpg"? Furthermore, what is the logical reason for doing this? It fails ... When you name a file "my-image-file.jpg", it will display as title "My image file" (hyphens removed). In conclusion, you should keep files names simple. If you need extended titles with lots of spaces and/or unicode characters, then use the image's TITLE option, which is related to your next question:
ed_f wrote:and btw (I never did this so maybe another stupid question) where and how do I most easily (and if possible without re-saving an already existing jpeg) give an image a "title" or "description" that I could make visible in the gallery-popup?
From a page's gallery, click the "view" mode button until you are in "edit" mode.

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

07 Jan 2021, 10:46

good advise without a doubt - I am just following.

one thing makes more work at this place: the moment I change the name of a file the page scrolls up to the top of the gallery of images - and I have to search for the one I was still working on. - and then much too often I forget to save after every little step, grrr ...
Last edited by ed_f on 08 Jan 2021, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Jan 2021, 00:08

ed_f wrote:one thing makes more work at this place: the moment I change the name if a file the page scrolls up to the top of the gallery of images - and I have to search for the one I was still working on. and then much too often I forget to save after every little step, grrr ...
I can see how that would be annoying. I will begin Panel 2.0 this year, where such issues will not occur.

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

10 Jan 2021, 14:04

mjau-mjau wrote: From a page's gallery, click the "view" mode button until you are in "edit" mode.
karl - when I am there under description I can only place my cursor at the end of text, I can neither mark (+ copy or so) something nor place the cursor elsewhere ...

update: suddenly it works - but before I had that behavior for several days ... strange ...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

10 Jan 2021, 22:03

Strange! We did not update the panel in this release. If it's working now, then I'm gonna leave it ...

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

20 Jan 2021, 18:19

ed_f wrote: karl - when I am there under description I can only place my cursor at the end of text, I can neither mark (+ copy or so) something nor place the cursor elsewhere ...

update: suddenly it works - but before I had that behavior for several days ... strange ...
now I have the same thing happening again ...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Jan 2021, 23:41

ed_f wrote:now I have the same thing happening again ...
What browser / OS? Try a different browser? Or try opening in a new "private" window?

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

21 Jan 2021, 11:55

so strange: happens, disappears ... will try your proposals next time it appears (win10, newest FF)

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

26 Jan 2021, 10:30

happens again, tried to shot what happens when I try marking text to copy - the whole box moves:

(I tried to post this message with an inserted screenshot, but couldn't. it says: "Your message contains 101737 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 100000." I will try to post the image in a new message)

opened in a new tab it works first - but soon reappears. funny ...

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

26 Jan 2021, 10:32

impossible to insert an image of 74kb, it now says "You cannot make another post so soon after your last. Your message contains 101574 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 100000." even funnier ;-)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

27 Jan 2021, 01:51

Sorry about the problem with image attachments. I believe you are experiencing a problem of course, so it's not that important with the screenshot. I am following this topic, but it's a bit hard to diagnose here since I cannot reproduce it. This is ONLY Firefox browser, right? It was always like this? Do you also get the error when openging the panel from "New Private Window"? We do use some event listeners in the input fields, but apart from that, they are plain HTML input fields.

You could perhaps open Firefox Tools > Web developer > Console, then refresh the page. Any errors or warnings that could be related?

metallissimus
Experienced

16 Feb 2021, 04:43

ed_f wrote: happens again, tried to shot what happens when I try marking text to copy - the whole box moves:
I just happened to realize I have the same problem. No errors in console after page refresh in new private window. FF 78.7.1esr (64-Bit) on OS X 10.14.6
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 Feb 2021, 07:11

metallissimus wrote:I just happened to realize I have the same problem. No errors in console after page refresh in new private window. FF 78.7.1esr (64-Bit) on OS X 10.14.6
So, you are experiencing this on Mac + Firefox? Latest Firefox is 85.0.2 ... "lesr" is some special version? Can you reproduce the issue in normal Firefox? Here is my Firefox on Mac, tried to navigate to and re-load page ... Input fields work as normal:

So I guess what you are saying, that in the view above, when you click an input field you cannot mark text or place the cursor? It's a bit hard to imagine this is anything else than a Firefox bug ...

metallissimus
Experienced

16 Feb 2021, 07:55

mjau-mjau wrote: So, you are experiencing this on Mac + Firefox? Latest Firefox is 85.0.2 ... "lesr" is some special version?
Yeah, FF + Mac. esr is "extended support release", honestly I am not sure why I started to use it – sounds more stable maybe.
So I guess what you are saying, that in the view above, when you click an input field you cannot mark text or place the cursor?
Exactly.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography