Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

slideshow menu style white on darker black, please!

01 Jan 2021, 12:05

I am ready for take-off - and I enjoy your (karl's) design very much! very last questions (at least for the moment) concerning the initial slideshow, before it will be announced:

for the menu style I really need more than the offered 25% black, maybe 40 or even 50 - could somebody (if there should be anyone besides Karl;-)) provide this possibility? it's needed as on top of images there is sometimes sky ... x3.architekturfoto.de

and what do I have to do to show the same slideshow-background while on my info-page before opening any of the infos themselves?

btw: for users without wheel-mouse or not used to handle the up/down buttons on their keyboards I find the right side cursor a bit too small and the one on this forum page better (while of course not more beautiful!). I guess you see it more as an indicator than a navigation-tool.

once again: I am glad I went for your CMS and will certainly recommend it! thank you, karl!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: slideshow menu style white on darker black, please!

02 Jan 2021, 01:09

ed_f wrote:for the menu style I really need more than the offered 25% black, maybe 40 or even 50 - could somebody (if there should be anyone besides Karl;-)) provide this possibility? it's needed as on top of images there is sometimes sky ... x3.architekturfoto.de
From my perspective, I would say this is not optimal, and really you should put some effort into finding images that don't interfere too much with the menu. After all, it's meant as a "teaser" since it goes behind the menu. As soon as the background goes darker, it doesn't look "great". Anyway, it wouldnt be a problem, but you would have to use Settings > Custom > Custom CSS:
Code
[class*='menu-a'][class*='topbar']:not(.menu-absolute-default).menu-absolute-50 .nav-wrapper:not(.topbar-sticky-pos) {
  background: rgba(0,0,0,0.5);
}
That style definition above is actually a bit stupid, but it has to be that specific so that it doesn't override certain states of the menu (for example on scroll).
ed_f wrote:and what do I have to do to show the same slideshow-background while on my info-page before opening any of the infos themselves?
You mean your /info/ page which is currently empty? First of all, if you want to show the same images without duplicating them into the /info/ dir, you would go to that panel page settings > gallery > advanced > assets, and assign "index". That means the page will "get" it's gallery images from the index (home page dir) instead. From there on, you would simply need to assign page settings > gallery > select slideshow and intro to achieve the same slideshow-intro as the home page.
ed_f wrote:btw: for users without wheel-mouse or not used to handle the up/down buttons on their keyboards I find the right side cursor a bit too small and the one on this forum page better (while of course not more beautiful!). I guess you see it more as an indicator than a navigation-tool.
Indeed it's used more of an indicator, and that seems to be the way browsers are moving towards also. I don't really imagine anyone in 2020 without trackpad (all laptops + many desktops) or touchscreen-scroll (all mobile devices), or mouse without wheel (or built-in touch-scroll on mouse surface). I would be really surprised if anyone actually scrolls pages by dragging the scrollbar these days ... I'm sure there are a few odd exceptions, but the design is geared towards removing the distracting and space-consuming scrollbars. It can be overriden by CSS if important!

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

02 Jan 2021, 11:52

another shot in the bull's eye - even two in both ;-) the 50% black is exactly what I wanted, and I think you should consider implanting that into the dropdown selection.

please, change my account now to www.architekturfoto.de asap. thank you very much!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

02 Jan 2021, 23:29

ed_f wrote:I think you should consider implanting that into the dropdown selection.
I'll look into it!
ed_f wrote:please, change my account now to www.architekturfoto.de asap. thank you very much!
Your license is already authorized with domain architekturfoto.de. Not sure what you want me to change?

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

03 Jan 2021, 02:50

all fine, my misunderstanding.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

27 Feb 2021, 03:35

ed_f wrote:the 50% black is exactly what I wanted, and I think you should consider implanting that into the dropdown selection.
This is now added as an option in X3.30.1:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10184

After updating, you can remove the custom CSS and use the new option instead. Or just keep the custom CSS as is.

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

27 Feb 2021, 08:23

for me it does not seem to give the same result: while the menu items remain well visible, the site's title isn't equally visible on lighter ground with the new option.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

27 Feb 2021, 09:54

Not sure what you are saying. The fix offers one thing, and one thing only: background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.5), exactly as you requested and exactly the same as the custom CSS fix you added. The color you have in your logo is assigned from your custom color (grey). 

How is it different from the custom CSS you added earlier?

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

27 Feb 2021, 10:58

as I have no clue of customCSS may I ask you for help again: how can I change the custom colour and what does it affect besides the logo? but maybe I should leave everything as it is good now ;-) (when I use your new 50%-setting the logo sometimes "disappears" in the background)
Last edited by ed_f on 27 Feb 2021, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

27 Feb 2021, 11:06

With the custom color, I am referring to the primary color assigned from Settings > Style > Skin. Normally, by default, as in all the examples when you bring up the STYLER interface in the X3 demo, it's set to a STRONG color as a contrast to the rest of the website. It's used primarily for buttons and a few other elements that require strong contrast. It's also used by default for the logo, if you have DISABLED the 3D effect (which itseld controls colors). So basically you have set the color to "grey", which causes a bit low contrast colors and is also affecting your logo.

The logo color can be changed with custom CSS, or simple something like this in Settings > Style > Logo:
Code
<span style="color: #990000">My logo text</span>
Keep in mind, if you are going to manually set the color by CSS or by using the above, you need to consider the logo color for ALL scenarios (used as intro, displaying on scroll, and plain on top).