Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

sopax
Experienced
Topic Author

Dropdown menu problem

08 Sep 2020, 13:34

I have 3 main menu groups, each with +50 folders/subfolders. They are all set to show as List. Until recently they all shoved correctly, but now one of them (with +50 folders and no subfolders) is showing the long foldernames written on top of each other. It looks like the space provided for the dropdown does not expand automatically to accommodate the number of folders, as has been the case until now. 
See X3a with the bad menu and X3b as the correct menu.
Any suggestions, pls?
Attachments
X3b.png
X3b.png (74.63 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
X3a.png
X3a.png (63.67 KiB) Viewed 1649 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Dropdown menu problem

08 Sep 2020, 23:40

I'm struggling to see how the "bad" menu looked earlier. The LIST menu was primarily meant to be used for TWO-levels (as your first screenshot), although it also works for ONE-level (as in your second screenshot). In all cases however, it will always create X amount of columns, and all columns are distributed across the available space. You can't have one column to expand to fit the text on one line, and then all other columns proportionally smaller ... That wouldn't quite make sense, for more than one reason.

The list will normally create FIVE (5) columns, as long as there are at least five folders. This is because that creates a minimum natural size for a menu/list column. You can customize the amount of columns, but it can't do this automatically based on text width. No changes were made to the list menu recently, and I can't see how that menu was working differently before. Is it folder names I see there? If so, was it using shorter labels before perhaps? In which case, you must have had to "label" field populated for each page.

sopax
Experienced
Topic Author

09 Sep 2020, 04:01

Looking for a solution, I think that there are just too many folders with too long names under this menu point. I would therefore like to this menu NOT to have a dropdown function. Readers would then click on the menupoint and open the Gallery page with all information. However I have not been able to find the setting for removing the dropdown function.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 Sep 2020, 05:46

Indeed that is something that needs to be considered. Often, it's better to disable the entire submenu and instead require the user to click the main item to load the page that displays child-folders. To achieve this, navigate to the top-level page that contains the subfolders, see menu > hide child pages from menu:
sopax wrote:Looking for a solution, I think that there are just too many folders with too long names under this menu point. I would therefore like to this menu NOT to have a dropdown function.
The mega menu "list" dropdown is only suitable for a certain structure. The standard dropdown is slightly more flexible, but it is not optimal for large numbers of subfolders either. Meanwhile, the SIDEBAR layout is much better suited for large submenu structures. Or, as in your case, it's perfectly acceptable to simply disable the submenu and instead simply display child pages from the page.